main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars lightsaber Right vs Left-Handedness inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Flashlight_Duelist, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flashlight_Duelist

Flashlight_Duelist Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    I wonder how many Star Wars viewers noticed this about the saga:

Essentially, all Jedi/Sith duel with their lightsabers in a Right-Handed manner. This means when they duel with their lightsaber in one hand, it is always their right hand. When they duel with both hands, the right hand is placed over the left hand. Stance orientation is generally such that the right leg is in front of the leg leg. This is globally the correct method to duel Right-Handed in both Western fencing arts, and Japanese katana arts.

In all movies EXCEPT Episode 4: A New Hope, all Jedi/Sith duel Right-Handed.

In Episode 4, things are very strange. Obi-Wan duels primarily Right-Handed, but Vader primarily duels as a Lefty. Furthermore, both Obi-Wan and Vader instantaneously and inconsistently shift their Handedness orientation 3 times each during their duel. Temporarily, Obi will switch to a Lefty while Vader switches to a Righty, for one shot. Then they switch back.

Obi and Vader always switch together. They also switch during periods where it is obviously impossible to actually switch your hands (in the middle of swinging). This is very odd. Why does this happen?

Explanation 1: The choreographer simply did not realize what was going on and all that was left in by accident.

Explanation 2: Perhaps the choreographer was aware, but possibly some shots were initially filmed backwards for some reason...and then mirror-reversed for the final version? I don't see why they would want to do this though. Maybe some miscommunication between the initial takes and the final cutter caused this weirdness to happen.

Thoughts?

2. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    There was no "choreographer" for the ANH fight. It was a real life fencing instructor. It's a real fight, not the silly ballet that the other movies present.

As for the hands switching, I don't know. You would need to consult a real sword master, like Plurimus here on the boards.

Otherwise, I would just go with the Princess Bride idea.

Obi: "You're better than me."
    Vader: "then why are you smiling?"
    Obi: "Because I know something that you do not know."
    Vader: "Oh? And what's that?"
    Obi: "I, am not left handed! (switches hands) Ah ha!"

3. Flashlight_Duelist

May 23, 2005
    I also like the ANH duel more than any other duel in the series. I said so in some other threads. It looks the most realistic and skilled of them all, in my eyes. The only thing that bugs me about it is the hand-switching, which is a significant deal.

Do you have any information on who did the choreography/instruction for all 6 movies? I'd be very interested to know. The tiniest details too, like anyone that helped or contributed to the way the fights ended up, etc.

4. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2005
    I was under the impression that some of the footage in the Vader V Obiwon deul in ANH was reversed, from left to right

5. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    ^ Very likely. That's a common movie making trick to get a more dramatic angle.

6. Flashlight_Duelist

May 23, 2005
    So that's like my Explanation 2, right?

If they did that then, should we be able to notice the backgrounds get backwards also? I did look for that a little but didn't notice anything. However it's hard to notice in that corridor. I will go back and look at it.

7. Flashlight_Duelist

May 23, 2005
    Hmm. Now that I think about it though, depending on exactly what they did and where they repositioned the camera, the backgrounds might not visibly change either (you might simply be looking at the "other wall" of the corridor, which could look identical). I don't really see why they needed to do that though.

If indeed it was just mirror-reversing that caused the hand-switching, then I still consider this duel the best in the entire Saga (mirror-reversed hand-switching is the fault of the director, not the choreographer and actors).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.