main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: LORDS OF THE SITH by Paul S. Kemp

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Although you have to admit that Anskin did care for and love his mother.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas, sometimes.

3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    There's a huge slavery/possession thing going on. I posted an earlier version of this in a TCW thread, but I think its relevant here.

Anakin, the slave, the property of someone else since birth, keeps losing things he has grabbed onto as his, and the Jedi are often right to blame in his perspective.
    [​IMG]

He lost his mother - the Jedi never allowed him to 'follow his heart' to free the slaves - his purpose in leaving in the first place - , and they were seen as holding back his power.
    [​IMG]

He lost Ahsoka (who was given to test his ability to let go, as per Yoda) - the Jedi Council drove her away.
    [​IMG]

He was NOT going to let anything, the Jedi, Death, whatever, take his last possession (yes, that's how I think he viewed Padme) away from him. Sidious promised him he could make Anakin's dream come true, as long as he was strictly obedient to his commands. Possessions were, for Anakin, the 'ring of power'. His Precious. He values them as if they were essential to his own life. His possessions were his life. He viewed himself as a sum of himself and his possessions. He could not be complete without them. (Calling back, and taking to a fundamentalist extreme Kenobi's teaching, 'Remember, Anakin. This [your lightsaber] is your life.")
    [​IMG]

Anakin makes a symbolic transfer of this to Padme in TCW, telling her, "This is my life."
    [​IMG]

The loss - the forceful taking - of Anakin's lightsaber (following his choking of Padme) can be seen as a highly symbolic act of the taking of his life. Anakin's last unique possession.
    [​IMG]

Anakin came into the Jedi Order never truly converted to their philosophy. The power was regularly unhinged without the checks-and-balances of the ingrained Jedi philosophy. It was easy for Anakin to fly free with the rules, because he never had a conviction for the core philosophy.

So when Sidious says, you can have more power and more power over your possessions - it wasn't a huge ideological leap. Power was always to be used to keep the things he held dear. The constraints of Jedi dogma didn't work. Now a new philosophy brought his self, and his possessions, to the center. He acted on it.

Of course, he was broken, deceived, and used - he became a Slave to Sidious. He was dead in many ways after that - he had no further possessions he held dear, the way he defined his life. Vader from ROTS until discovering he has a son is truly Dead Anakin. A shell with no moral compass apart from self-preservation for the sake of self-preservation.

The OT is Vader's story of regaining his freedom and identity and humanity. It is sparked by the appearance of Luke - the bearer of Anakin's Lightsaber.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Taken in this light - think of the additional meaning we might see of Vader severing it from Luke.
    [​IMG]
    And then Luke forges his own unique identity, and what he does with that. (He voluntarily tosses it aside! He shows his willingness to give up his own life to save another. "I am a Jedi. Like my Father before me.")
    [​IMG]

It is then when Anakin sees in Luke who he wants to be. And then he, like he just saw his son voluntarily do, gives away his own... life.
    [​IMG]

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    =D= That is a very nice bit of work Taalcon.

It also got me thinking: DE took the idea literally, that the dark side does possess those who tap its power. It was attempting to give meaning to Vader's ROTJ statement that he must obey his master.

But, it may also been onto something else - that looking at everything in a purely possessive sense is a form of moral blindness.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Must finish The Jedi Doth Return before this downloads onto my Kindle.

Even without my opening spoiler tags, you all have me super-excited.

6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Excellent post, Taalcon, but I would say that Vader is more of a slave to his own obsessions than to Palpatine. In the early years, Palpatine is like a father figure for him and he puts him on a high pedestal, as we can even see in the beginning of Lords of the Sith. It is not at all that different from the admiration a Jedi apprentice might feel for master Yoda. In the Vader comic, Vader seems to feel angry and betrayed after Palpatine has demoted him. It is not slavery, if you serve someone willingly in exchange for power and money, it is more like having a job.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the ROTS novel, there's a strong "Palpatine is all Vader has left" theme:

You did it.
    You killed her.
    You killed her because, finally, when you could have saved her, when you could have gone away with her, when you could have been thinking about her, you were thinking about yourself ...
    It is in this blazing moment that you finally understand the trap of the dark side, the final cruelty of the Sith-
    Because now your self is all you will ever have.
    And you rage and scream and reach through the Force to crush the shadow who has destroyed you, but you are so far less than what you were, you are more than half machine, you are like a painter gone blind, a composer gone deaf, you can remember where the power was but the power that you can touch is only a memory, and so with all your world-destroying fury it is only droids around you that implode, and equipment, and the table on which you were strapped shatters, and in the end, you cannot touch the shadow.
    In the end, you do not even want to.
    In the end, the shadow is all that you have left.
    Because the shadow understands you, the shadow forgives you, the shadow gathers you unto itself-

And in your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame.
    This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.
    Forever ...

8. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    John Jackson Miller's short story in Star Wars Insider #157 ties into events from Lords of the Sith.

Rae Sloane from A New Dawn shows up with a speaking role, art, and everything! This is the first time I have really experienced something like this in my foray into the expanded universe and I like it a lot.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Which, IMO, is exactly why Vader doubles down on the denial and rejects his true self and the name that goes with it.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Awesome!
    At least we get to see her again. Now all we need is to see her post AND.

Revanfan1, spicer and Iron_lord like this.
  11. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014

I agree. I was glad to see the same author using his characters across multiple stories and I would love to see different writers do something similar,
    like have Chuck Wendig use Rae Sloane for example.

12. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Does this character survive the story? :)

13. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    This story is three years before A New Dawn, so yes.

14. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

[face_blush] Sorry, forgot about the timeline.

15. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    So does the story take place before, after, or during Lords of the Sith?

16. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    It takes place as Vader and the Emperor are in route to Ryloth from Coruscant.

cwustudent and Taalcon like this.
  17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It's going to be very hard to read this and not visualize the Palps & Vader scenes in Robot Chicken animation...

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I just read the new star wars insider magazine, and I found something curios at the end, of the interview. Is this book going to be the first one to have a gay character in it? I'm at a lost here and if their is who is it.

20. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
  21. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
  22. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    [c3po]Here we go again.[/c3po]

The Moff of Ryloth, Delian Mors, is a lesbian.

cwustudent likes this.
  23. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Meh. I read some of the preview on Amazon. Granted, it's only a preview but it does not have me very excited. It's the same old Palpatine and Vader runaround.

Palpatine does his I'm cleverer than everyone else routine while Vader broods. Palpatine makes sure Vader learns the lesson of being a massive ...erm...Richard. Vader indicates and probably later shows that he can be just as massive a Richard as Palpatine all while doing his fuming style of brood. We will then be treated to a 200+ page exposition on Sith interpretation of natural selection. Oh and Vader has issues about his past.

Meanwhile on Ryloth, we learn that other people also think the Emperor is a Richard and take their chance to overthrow him.

Ho Hum. When I read the previews and reviews of Tarkin it interested me. I wanted to see more of the Imperial court and of Imperial politics other than the same tired old love hate relationship between the Imperial couple. Tarkin wasn't stellar but it had more subtle relationships in it than what I saw in the preview. I especially was pleased by the appearance of rebel types you couldn't exactly cheer for because they were chaotic evil as opposed to the Empire's slightly more predictable evil. That was something new compared to the standard rebels we usually see.

I dunno. The book has one last chance. I'll give it a final skim in the bookstore before I decide whether or not to buy it. So far, it does not look good. Stories about the dysfunctional daddy/son issues between Vader and Palpatine are so last decade. The comics are doing better stuff with those two by showing a more active Vader than the usual whiny/broody/fuming Vader. Actually, come to think of it, a Vader who confronts Palpatine is about the only thing Star Wood did right.

This would have been a neat chance to actually hear Vader's thoughts on what the Empire would be without Palpatine around and how he would rule differently. Who knows, maybe I will see that in this book.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The blurb on the book tells us about differences that Vader and Palpatine have to overcome. So I doubt it will be all roses and sunshine between those two, like it is in the opening. But then they aren't on a hostile planet and in mortal danger.

I'm not sure why you thought Vader was whiny or fuming in the opening, meditating is more like it. Vader's reflections reminded me a bit of the Tenebrous way, in that he gives us insight into his plans and philosophy. It's basically set-up so that we understand what is going on in his head before all the action starts. He's the protagonist after all, it's important that the audience knows who this guy is at this point in time.

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I look forward to the day when nobody cares about these things.

I half expect she was made this type of character to prevent anyone shipping her with Vader.

Sent from the World