main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: LORDS OF THE SITH by Paul S. Kemp

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Apr 25, 2014.

1. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

I like this idea especially because it goes back to the old inifinites comic were ceded fights maul and maul asks vader what he could hate so much and vader after delivering the killing low to maul through his own torso says simply "myself".

Early Vader has to be very hard for authors to work with, they have to balance how much of Anakins personality that they are going to show, with his fustration of his new limitations, his rage about what happened in Revenge of the sith and his relationship with the emperor. One thing I liked about the legends book Dark Lord was Vaders starts to suspect that Palpatine used old technology for his prosethics on purpose as a way of controlling him. It also gave us a Palpatine who felt that Vaders limitations were more mental then physical.

2. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Anyone else just counting the days for this one?

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope. I'm mostly zen on release dates now - it'll arrive when it arrives and not before.

4. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I've already pre-ordered it.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Done that too.

6. yafka

yafka Jedi Master

Aug 7, 2001
    Not counting the days (infact, as I first started typing this post, I had no idea what the actual release date was). But I am looking forward to it. I'm in the middle of Heir to the Jedi now. I used to read all the SW books up to the pre-NJO event. Haven't read or listened to one in over 15 years. HttJ and LotS will be my first two.

7. mxcp204

mxcp204 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 13, 2006
    So far I'm REALLY enjoying this.

8. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Man, I envy you guys who managed to get it early.

LordDlow likes this.
  9. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Yeah, I got an advance copy at Celebration and found what you're talking about. Hopefully they'll fix that in the release printing. It is pretty hilarious.

I really enjoyed the book. The Vader and Palpatine characterization is spot-on, Cham Syndulla is a bad***, and I thought the supporting cast was pretty interesting.

10. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I emailed del Rey about it and they said my note was passed to the LOTS team. So we will see.

11. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I think the copies at celebration are part of the main present print run. If its a significant error, it'll just likely simply be corrected in the e- and paperback editions, and end up as a footnote of curiosity on Wookieepedia's page for the book.

12. SoloBrothers

SoloBrothers Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2013
    Vader thinking about Ahsoka IS new. She was barely mentioned in the EU prior to the "reboot"

13. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I saw this in a book store just now. Very surprising as I don't remember ever seeing a hardcover English SW book in a store before.

I opened it on a random page, and the first sentence I read was (very minor spoiler, actually not even that and it's not even a direct quote since I don't have a Winter-memory)
    "Our relationship is on a different level" Vader said [to Sidious].
    Krhm.

14. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    In the meantime, Wookieepedia's page for LOTS currently lists the error as a new character, "first mentioned" in LOTS [face_laugh]

15. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Well that's mostly because most of the EU was written before Ahsoka even existed.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Haha I just found the error. Good catch, IG. It completely missed my notice, probably because I don't care much about TCW and so the error just escaped me.

Now let's hope in this new era an error can just be an error and we don't need a silly retcon that invents a new character. From everything I've heard coming out of SG and DR, I expect they'll just say something "yeah it's a goof, ignore it" which would be great.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1, darklordoftech and Taalcon like this.
  17. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Okay, just tell us what it is...

And yeah. Making up new characters because of spelling errors? No. No. No. No. And No. Correct it in next edition, and move along, move along.

cwustudent likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would be a pretty crappy mod if I told everybody to obey the prerelease embargo rules and didn't obey them myself.

By the way, there's nothing stopping somebody who got a copy at Celebration from posting whatever they want. Those are legitimate public copies of the final book handed out to fans by the publisher. They're different from review copies or bookstores breaking street dates.

I would just warn and advise anybody with a review copy (you know who you are) not to say anything if they don't want to get in trouble with the publisher. Best safe than sorry :p

So I'm going to keep quiet for another week. But if like Kablob or somebody with a Celebration copy wants to explain, go for it. Just use a spoiler tag out of courtesy to those in the thread who want to read the book.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Aphra likes this.
  19. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'll go ahead and put it out there, since I didn't get a review copy or a copy from Celebration and presumably that means I am not violating a review embargo or breaking any rules about that sort of thing. It is the very mildest of spoilers:
    The clone Fives, from TCW, is accidentally referred to at one point as "Sixes."

20. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    :p

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I'd prefer it if people only with Celebration copies posted about it since anybody else could be quoting somebody breaking embargo and we've historically edited that too.

But since you got that from Wookieepedia, I'll allow it. And it is as mild as mild gets. Now you see why I didn't catch that at all. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Dear god.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    So it looks like there will be an audiobook for download, but it doesn't look like they are making an audiobook CD. That's the first time they haven't released a CD version for a Star Wars book in a long time.

24. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    I completed LOTS while waiting in one of the many queues at Celebration. I won't give specifics on the story, but rather just general thoughts and impressions.

Overall, I ended up being disappointed with the story. It felt very small and constrained, and it never reached a level of excitement that I'd like to see out of a SW novel. It felt like a short story with a lot of exposition padded into it. Tarkin and Lords of the Sith are similar in that the actual storyline isn't terribly epic in scope. In Tarkin, that weakness is more than made up for by the level of detail given to Tarkin's background. However, LOTS unfortunately doesn't have some similar mitigating strength.

The story itself seems intended to expand upon Vader's relationship with Sidious. I think it partially succeeds in this regard, but it is sporadic and leaves me desiring far more than what's given. There are some interesting insights into how the Apprentice views the Master, and Vader ends up having some thoughts about the past that you may be surprised by. But the real strength of LOTS is in its characterization of Vader. He is simply a terror on two mechanical legs and there should be no question left as to why the should galaxy fear him. Kemp should be commended in this regard.

There is also some minor, but interesting allusions to what the general public in the galaxy knows and what it doesn't know about the Emperor. The reader is also granted some brief insight into the Imperial Guard and who is behind those red robes and masks.

Unfortunately, the characterization of Vader and the information on the public's understanding of the Emperor and his Guards doesn't make up for the problems with the book. In addition to its small feel, the ending is so abrupt as to be jarring. I found myself actually caring more about what happened in the aftermath of the events of the story rather than the story itself.

5/10, and likely to collect a lot of dust in the future.

Gorefiend likes this.
  25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I love these new continuity glitches. The old ones rarely reached this level of head-scratching wacky.