main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Lost Stars by Claudia Gray

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Revanfan1, May 18, 2015.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    We didn't have a thread for this book yet, so I figured I'd make one.

[​IMG]

This thrilling Young Adult novel gives readers a macro view of some of the most important events in the Star Wars universe, from the rise of the Rebellion to the fall of the Empire. Readers will experience these major moments through the eyes of two childhood friends-Ciena Ree and Thane Kyrell-who have grown up to become an Imperial officer and a Rebel pilot. Now on opposite sides of the war, will these two star-crossed lovers reunite, or will duty tear them-and the galaxy-apart? Star Wars: Lost Stars also includes all-new post-Star Wars: Return of the Jedi content, as well as hints and clues about the upcoming film Star Wars: The Force Awakens, making this a must-read for all Star Wars fans.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Let the fun begin.

3. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I suppose there are two subjects I'm most interested in at this point.
    One is the author. Does anyone have an opinion on Claudia Gray or her previous works? That could be an indicator as to whether this will be a much-needed young adult story that gives 'ordinary views' of the GCW, or a Twilight knockoff (or both, I guess).
    Two is, of course, the juicy info on the shape of the new Post-RotJ galaxy. Any idea when we'll start seeing spoilers?

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I am super looking forward to this one and I hope it's good. So far the YA books have knocked it out of the park, and if the romance one does so too I'll be very happy.

Naturally thrilled to see another female Imperial officer, too, and I like the idea of the romance on both sides thing. It can be very deftly done.

Ordinarily I'd be skeptical about a youth romance and the "on both sides" thing, but there's reason to be optimistic and I am kind of eager to see a proper Star Wars romance novel.

5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    so this is basically romeo and juliet in space.

Riven_JTAC likes this.
  6. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Only if they both die at the end.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I feel bad for liking that.

I'm going to don my Vader helmet and mope in the corner now.

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Why must the girl be the Imp?

Malcolm Reynolds likes this.
  9. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    i like the old english gent being the imperial it says a lot :)

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I WANT the girl to be the Imp. Otherwise it would look too much like the old "good girl saves bad guy from himself by loving him enough" story that has been giving young girls terribly unrealistic and dangerous ideas for centuries.

It does look kind of like Romeo and Juliet in space but the issue with Romeo and Juliet was not that they were star-crossed lovers on opposite sides of a family feud. The issue is that they were morons. Let's hope it's not the case here.

I'm also not too concerned about it being Twilight in Space, because if an Imperial officer ever behaved like Bella Swan, the Emperor would Force-lightning her mopey ass out of the rocking chair and we'd have no novel.

Soooo...yeah. I'm interested in this. It has potential.

Danifae, Riv_Shiel, Iron_lord and 8 others like this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Good, Good.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Plus, Jello's right, we've never had a real Star Wars romance book. The only exception is Union, which is corny and cheesy Bantam-era EU at its best (or worst). Romance has always been tertiary to the main events, war, philosophy, etc. This book sounds like that flipped, where the main events frame romance. And all of the YA books thus far in the NEU era have been ranging from good to great.

Iron_lord and Revanfan1 like this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've seen a few panels of Union and was ready to vomit.

14. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    I've read it. It's so sweet and innocent it might give you a sugar high. Not gonna lie, though, as someone who entered the EU in the Bantam era, Union is basically the happiest ending the GFFA could have gotten, before the NJO took it in an entirely different direction.

15. Abadacus

May 4, 2014
    Best.
    [​IMG]
    It's cheesy and indulgent, but most of all it's fun. Just an absurd amount of fun. Significantly, you can tell that all the people involved loved what they were doing, the characters, and the franchise. Every little bit of that panel is hilarious.
    On it's own, it wouldn't stand up so well, but as a love letter and tie-together for that era, and the capstone to a relationship? It's beautiful. As I've said, I'm not usually a shipper, but my standard is if the payoff can make me squee half as hard as this panel did:
    [​IMG]
    It's only as saccharine as the ceremony on Yavin 4 or the celebration on Endor, and no less deserved. The galaxy is at peace, the Republic has been restored, there's a thriving and diverse new Jedi Order, and my favorite two characters are in love and smiling. What happened to all of these things after aside, for that moment, all was right with the galaxy.
    And that's leaving aside other details like Kam Solusar played by Bruce Willis.

16. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    I actually just ordered Union. Now I'm excited :D

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I've heard that Janson is played by Tommy Lee Jones in Union, but I've yet to see proof of that at all.

As to Lost Stars, I've always intended to buy this book but I saw speculation yesterday that increased my interest tenfold. It's mere speculation, of course, but now I'll have to read it to see if it's true.

Someone said it would be cool if the characters in this book turned out to be Finn's parents.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I can never unsee still-alive Brand in that picture. Either that, or the poor fool never realized that if you Force Ghost you can apparently change your appearance.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Union was sometimes oversaccharine, but I loved it as a capstone for the Bantam era and only wish I had read it when it came out instead of years after the fact.

I asked Del Rey at SWCA whether we were supposed to read the characters' identities in the order they were written, and while they didn't want to tell me anything we weren't supposed to know yet they did say that it was meant to be read the way it was written. So that leads me to think that if the order of names is 1. girl 2. boy 1. Imperial 2. Rebel then girl = Imperial and boy = Rebel is accurate.

Iron_lord, Revanfan1 and Abadacus like this.
  20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    My brother says he's heard of her, and her stuff is generally well-liked AFAIK. 'Course, that doesn't mean anything per se, but it's better than hearing "Yeah, nobody likes her stuff."

Barriss_Coffee and Abadacus like this.
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm reasonably interested in this, if chiefly for the "never seen it before" factor. I agree that Union would not be a good template to follow, but more because there have always been specific things about it that bothered me than just because it was "cheesy".

Speaking of which:

Holy carp, it is him. I've never noticed that before. Probably not going to unnotice that now.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Abadacus

May 4, 2014
    Yee-up. I love that. I figure force ghosts show up in the form they're most comfortable with, and hovering is better than walking.

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I have to wonder why the Jedi apparently have very brightly-colored robes for marriages. And is that Corran Horn in those green robes or is that a woman? I can't tell.

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Eh, I sort of like the idea of the NJO having brightly-colored robes (at least for formal occasions) instead of all being Obi-Wan cosplayers as their predecessors were. There's something symbolic in that.

...But back to Lost Stars.

25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Right. So a Rebel pilot and an Imp officer. The more I think about it, the more excited I get. It's really a cool concept...and if these two were childhood friends (thinking Luke and Biggs here, just for example), then how'd they get set up on different sides? Girl signs up to join the military (maybe her mother or father was in the military, providing the motivation for her to join) but the boy sees something terrible that the Empire does and decides he should fight it? It's really going to be a compelling story, I think.