main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Marathon

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Welshguy, Oct 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    And so it is.

Well, it's finished now and its just gone 5am.

I'll tell you about it tomorrow. I have some pictures that will make the story more entertaining.

More talk later.

Sleep now.

[face_hypnotized]

2. Baza

Baza Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2005
    Congratulations =D=

How does the saga work as a cohesive whole? Do you see Lucas' master plan?

3. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    so how did it go welshie? any pics?

i think he is still asleep :p

4. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I don't blame him for sleeping. On Marathon Day, I was awake at something like 11am on the Sunday. I couldn't sleep at all that night, and I had to be in Birmingham at 3am to catch the coach down to London. Then we had the Marathon...undoubetedly the best movie-going experience of my life, and didn't get out until around 11pm...then I had to wait until 3am to catch the coach back to Birmingham. When I got home around 6am, I went straight to bed and didn't get up until around 5:30pm! I was up for nearly 48 hours straight! :p

I was knackered! [face_tired]

5. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    i definately want to do this at some point. hmmmm, can i smell a midlands meet in the air? [face_thinking]

6. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    I think it had to be in the cards sometime. I think I'll have to bring it up at the next meeting. ;)

7. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    The marathon report is being written up and will be online soon!

8. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    After the new DVD is out (cant possibly do it before [face_whistling] ) we're gonna need a monatage of the six films to music! Who will be the first to do a super duper one in this big world- or will one be on the ROTS DVD I wonder? Lucasfilm really should employ me for my great idea's :p!

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I hope they release a Definitive Star Wars Saga CD set

That would be so cool :cool:

10. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    [face_money_eyes] [face_money_eyes] $$$ Mr Lucas may possibly be considering that.... $$$[face_money_eyes] [face_money_eyes]

11. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Written up to the start of A New Hope.

Won't be long now.

12. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    I heard that he was doing that, with some added stuff to the prequels as well...eg. CGI Yoda in TPM. Possibly more tweaking with the OT - Hopefully the sabers will be "fixed" this time around...Personally, I think the Bluescreen Compositing needs a hell of a lot of work, same with the matte boxes.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I dont want CGI Yoda in TPM
    IMO the puppet Yoda looked more real then CGI Yoda. He shoudl only have been used in AOTC & ROTS cos he had to fight.

I think the rest of it should be left alone. He's tweaked the OT enough already. If he wants to mess with the PT then leave it till the 10th or 20th anniversary

14. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    The Star Wars Marathon Experience

Saturday 8th October 2005

And so it was.

On this day I had decided to watch all 6 Star Wars movies back to back. The only time this had been done before was on the day of the Revenge of the Sith premiere by a few lucky select people who managed to get a ticket for the Star Wars marathon event in London, unfortunately I was not one of them and my time would have to wait. And finally, that time was now. The fates had combined to provide me with the perfect opportunity to watch all 6 movies in a way that I had always wanted.

The parental units had decided to go away for the weekend to West Wales, indeed, the last weekend they would be away for the year. The large screen projector that my brother used for gaming was going to be free [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/IMAGE_494.jpg] and the I had ?acquired? a copy of Revenge of the Sith a few weeks before it?s official release date. So everything was in order. I had an empty house, a kick arse cinema screen and projector, all 6 movies prepped and waiting to roll and a big leather sofa onto which to plop my arse for the next 14 hours.

However, there were still some ingredients missing from the mix. I would need a viewing companion, someone to talk to and subject my extensive knowledge of Star Wars cannon onto. Enter Ryan. Long time Star Wars fan (though he didn?t go and see Menace in the cinema!) and semi-professional Darth Maul lookalike. But there was still room for one more, enter Yoda. [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/yoda.jpg] Foot tall puppet and survivor of the Matrix marathon. Surely no movie marathon would be complete without the ultimate Jedi master at your side. Still, we were missing something. We were missing food. Food and beer!

Ryan was dispatched to find said food and alcohol while I set up the cinema and sound equipment. The time was now 1.00pm. We were already running 2 hours behind schedule. Master Yoda was not happy. ?Play the bloody movie you must, hmmm?, [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/IMAGE_502.jpg] he was heard to remark on more than one occasion. This would not be his last outburst of the day.

Ryan returned with the food just as I had finished setting the equipment up. [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/IMAGE_497.jpg] First thing to do before embarking on such an epic journey is to get a decent breakfast inside you. Not only would this most important meal of the day provide you with all the essential vitamins and minerals your body needs to stay active and alert, but it would provide a good stomach lining come beer time (estimated beer kick off 4.00pm). With this in mind I chose the breakfast of champions, a king size chicken and mushroom pot noodle. Granted, dried pasta in a plastic pot is not the most traditional breakfast snack, but I was thinking outside the box. A challenge as big and daring as this needs free form thinkers, and I was free forming at the mouth. Ryan opted for a more sensible bowl of cereal (x2) and a slice of processed cheese. Having consumed our breakfast we were ready to start to marathon. We took our positions, now running 2 ½ hours late.

The Phantom Menace kicks in. [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/IMAGE_499.jpg] This is the start, this is where we discover how Anakin was discovered, how the Jedi Council crumbled under its own weight and how an entire generation has grown up with JarJar ?issues?! Or at least it would be if we could see the screen. It seems that 50 something parents do not really consider the implications of watching movies on a cinema screen when selecting soft furnishings. They had chosen white curtains! Whit curtains for crying out loud? The light from outside seeped through like a leaky bucket!

This was an unfortunate turn of events. We tried everything we could. We turned the brightness up on the screen, we hung towels over the curtains and we even tried to block out the sun with a Mr Burns insp

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
  16. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Nice one mate. Discussions have begun on this for us northerners. If U ain't been on the north boards by now then [face_shame_on_you] Planning sesh is Here

17. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    Once I get my new 52" widescreen (Around christmas I hope) I will have a marathon too.
    You are my hero Welshy!

18. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    absolutely brilliant!!

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

best. post. ever.

19. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    I want a marathon day !

Wish I had been there, its sounds like it was a blast. Interesting fact about the liver.

20. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Thanks guys. It is possible to have an uninteresting fact about a fish liver? I think not.

Good luck to anyone who plans to do this in the near future. Its hard work, but so worth it.

I highly recommend it for any potential meets out there.

21. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    BRILLIANT MATE JUST BRILLIANT

Welshguy =D==D==D=

22. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I thank you. [face_peace]

23. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Ummm... I've a short attention span- is there a version of yer post with highlights??? :D

24. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Yeh, they met, watched the films, there was Fish, nuts, Paper scissors stone and a Yoda puppet who kept messin with the remote.

25. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Excellent!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.