main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (Marvel) #1: Skywalker Strikes, part 1 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ordo Skirata, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Splinter was 2 years later and an Obi-Wan ghost.
    Vader's Quest was several months after ANH (wasn't it) and they just stood off. No fighting. Was close though.
    Not sure about the other comics.

spicer likes this.
  2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    No need to make the same mistake again. Besides, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, as much as I don't like the whole premise of it, I can forgive since the book was published before Ep. V was released.

Abadacus likes this.
  3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Spinter of the Mind's Eye and some of the older comics were already not considered cannon when TESB came out because it contradicted them. It's not like a deal breaker or anything but I just don't think a big confrontation between the two makes a whole lot of sense based on how they interatct in TESB.

Abadacus likes this.
  4. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014
    But if this was their only encounter before ESB, it could be relatively okay, right? There would still be a three year gap between them. Of course, this doesn't mean I like it, because I don't.

JediFan215 likes this.
  5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I seriously doubt this will be the only time that Luke and Vader encounter each between the films. Probably won't even be the only time they encounter each other before TFA comes out.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    "I've killed many fathers" is awesome. "You'll have to be more specific" is less so. I also feel like Vader would have more of a reaction to holding his old lightsaber, but maybe that comes later...?

[face_rofl]

7. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    I like the many fathers line. I was expecting Luke would just leg it straight away after Obi-Wan's warning in #1. I can't say this confrontation between them bothers me that much but it shouldn't be a regular occurrence really.

8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I mean, yeah it's okay and I guess it works without really contradicting anything....I just like the idea of Vader finding out who Luke is and spending the whole time between ANH and TESB looking for him and then finally confronting him in Cloud City. It really feels like it is their first confrontation when watching the movie....but I know it's not 100% established that that is the case so.....

Iron_lord, spicer and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Though it is pretty funny that he was this close to Luke and he didn't know. He's going to be ticked when he finds out that his target and son was in his grasp and he got away.

Gamiel, Revanfan1, Iron_lord and 3 others like this.
  10. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    I didn't realise that Republic #82 is regarded as special generally. I certainly loved it - in fact after reading that issue I hunted down every Quinlan Vos story I could get hold of.

I've just been looking at other, non-SW, Marvel work and their style seems to vary a bit although I couldn't find any I like as much as the Dark Horse stuff. Maybe they'll work on it and find a way of working that looks better?

spicer likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, that preview certainly takes a big dump over ESB!

12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I guess I'm not that surprised but damn is it really that hard to write something different? Come on Marvel, you can do better than this.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I certainly expected better from Aaron!

As to other comics - Splinter is forgiveable because it was written without knowledge of ESB. In contrast Goodwin and Williamson took care to have the two cross paths but never physically meet in their 1982-1984 newspaper run. Fairly certain they miss each other in Vader's Quest too.

The only one it might have been done in is Marvel, but even there I'd suspect not because in ESB Luke and Vader meeting is deemed a BIG DEAL.

This is Marvel in their crassly commercial mode.

14. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Well this is just silly. How the hell is Luke even going to get his lightsaber back from Vader in a way that is believable?

Good_News_Nobody likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Solid Snake Luke?

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Old Marvel comics where they meet are the Domina Tagge arc (35, 36, 37: Dark Lord's Gambit, Red Queen Rising, In Mortal Combat). However, while Luke thinks he's fighting Vader, it's actually Orman Tagge, under an illusion.

Vader's words to Luke after the duel:

"I've thoroughly tested you ... made you perform in a hostile environment ... probed your emotions by placing your friends in jeopardy. I now know your limits ... and your limitations!"

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So it's an illusion of Vader, giving the sense of meeting that proves not to be so, with Vader's parting shots being comm transmission or is there an actual meeting there after all? As I can't see Vader gloating and then letting Luke go.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's an actual meeting before the duel - and Vader is face-to-face with Luke (but a short distance away - while Luke is standing over Tagge, after the duel).

[​IMG]

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, sound like Marvel have previous form for doing this sort of thing then!

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It isn't even the only Marvel-era Vader illusion Luke fights- another one, while the Rebels are still on Hoth:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_3-D_3:_The_Dark_Side_of_Dantooine

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What are you? A walking library? :p

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I've been trying to collect and read almost every Star Wars book and comic. Still a few gaps though.

Gamiel likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh anyone can do that, but remembering it all? Something else entirely..... What are the Iron Lord Vaults like I wonder? ;)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I measure them by the metre. (as in, if the books were stacked, how high would they reach?)

So about 2 metres of comics, and maybe between 3 and 4 metres of novels.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No memory vaults then? ;)

Iron_lord likes this.