main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (Marvel) #1: Skywalker Strikes, part 1 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ordo Skirata, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It could be that! [face_laugh] Like you I was expecting to be pricey hardcover first.

"You want this, don't you? Take your Jedi currency and hand it over and it will be yours to possess.... forever!"

Thanks for the fuller picture of what Marvel. For me that wouldn't work either. It all comes back to having read the Goodwin-Williamson Classic Star Wars as the first ANH-ESB bridge story, that set the standard for everything else, hence why said preview of SW#2 is highly problematic. But as I say, that's just me.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Found the first issue at a toy show today. Got the basic cover. There were several variant covers but were above my budget. Not that bad of an issue. Art leaves a bit to be desired but good story. Not as good as KOTOR 1 or Legacy 1 but pretty enjoyable. Better than Star Wood 1 but need to reread Rebellion and get other Rebellion era comics.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I decided to try this but I am waiting until the 3rd reprint of issue 1 is available a month from now. I'll have issue 2 before I have 1, but I am just fine with that.

What changed my mind? Rereading some Aaron I do like, and trying to be less snarky about Cassaday despite not being a fan of his art.

4. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Purchased issue #1 and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was excited just by turning the first few pages with the opening crawl etc. The writing of the characters speech was spot on, I was reading it in the characters voices. I've since added it to my Pull List.

vong333 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Yeah, Aaron did a good job in that regard. Quite difficult to get that right I would think.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  6. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Well starting with Marvel Now alot of their popular characters were getting hardcovers first like Superior Spider-Man, Thor: God of Thunder, Avengers, All New X-Men, New Avengers and Iron Man. It's interesting Star Wars is getting a paperback first. I wouldn't even call them Premium HC's, the Marvel Now ones at least. I thought they were terrible hardcovers in binding and design, when you picked up a DC New 52 hardcover it was so much better.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Whoever does it, it's a crappy policy I only put up with on 2 books - Astro City and American Vampire.

8. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    This is actually a more interesting encounter than all the old EU ones imo. The dramatic tension just beats all of them. (Luke's use of the word "yield" is a little off putting though)

I'll be nitpicky and say...technically this hasn't been done in the EU before. If we want to get real specific.

As close as it came in the old EU, Luke never did clash with Vader's saber all by himself in the old EU. It was either a setting up to do it(which was then interfered with) or ended up being Obi Wan possessing Luke's body(implied by Splinter of the Mind's Eye and later confirmed as being the case by later sources). Here, it's Luke all by himself. He's just hit Vader's saber. Vader has taken his lightsaber...and I have no idea what will happen next...how will Luke get his saber back and how will he be saved from Vader? No spikes will randomly thrust up from the ground here. Obi Wan hasn't possessed Luke and there's no Kaiburr crystal. Just Luke and Vader, and Luke has already initiated the duel and he's lost. Now what?

I take back what I said months ago about been there done that...I wanna see where this goes.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked Luke's "Yield." Very Jedi-like, even if he is just a farmboy from Tatooine but he does have his Jedi moments inside of him, even close to ANH.

10. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    Don't know if this has come up yet, but in issue 1 We see that Vader has stolen his old master's title: The Negotiator

Saga Explorer and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, I was totally getting an allusion to Obi-Wan's old Clone Wars moniker, intentional or not. Kinda doubt it was intentional, more of just a setup for The Negotiator to show up and the twist is the Negotiator is Vader (which was a twist I fell for), but it also works in context with Obi-Wan's old title anyway.

Saga Explorer and JediFan215 like this.
  12. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Interesting but one important point....
    When the deceased ghost of your former Jedi Master tells you to run YOU RUN!
    Got it!
    D'oh! kids these days never listen!:oops:

Saga Explorer and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. JediFan215

Jul 31, 2014
    Reminds me of Doctor Who. Companions always being told to run

14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    At least, they have quit that infuriating habit of twisting their ankles and falling over while on the run.

15. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    So... 002 is out today. Anyone pick it up yet?

16. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014
    I loved the second issue almost as much as the first. This is shaping up to be a really fun, action-heavy book, exactly the kind of Star Wars I'm interested in.

BigAl6ft6 and vong333 like this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Tut, tut, you have the issue first, now you get to have fun with it!

Make with the spoilers already!

JediFan215 likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That and to never wander off.

JediFan215 likes this.
  19. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014

Vader steals Luke's saber, he just recognizes it - "I know this weapon. This once belonged to --" - when an AT-AT driven by Han and Leia breaks up the fight. Vader orders all the slaves killed. Most of the issue is a big fight between the rebels and Empire. Luke hops on a speeder bike and attacks. 3PO goes out to defend the Falcon and gets blasted and carried away by the scavengers. Han tries to step on Vader with the AT-AT but Vader Force lifts it. The fire at him and escape. A stormtrooper sees Vader without his helmet on so Vader twists his head around backwards with the Force. Vader's last lines - "The Rebel invaders must die. Except the boy. Leave him to me."

Jedi Ben and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  20. JediFan215

Jul 31, 2014
    These cliffhangers are awful

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks for the info, the Vader-Luke meet-up still can't work for me but appreciate you posting the details.

Easy solution: Wait for the trade!

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Bit of a nit-pick question I suppose
    Luke and friends encounter AT-AT's here correct? Wouldn't they then study them after this and know that the armor is too strong for blasters at the Battle of Hoth? The Rebels do know what they are because they do say Imperial Walkers approaching the base so maybe not? They could improve the shielding I suppose
    Again am I probably nitpicking so....................

23. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I wasn't gonna get this issue, figured I've read enough star wars comic stories. Seen it all. First issue was good, but not enough make me keep getting this comic. But i had subscribed with the first issue. I got a notification that is was in the cloud so I downloaded.

HOLY $&@!, Vader KICKS ASS. Aaron just kills it with every scene he's in. Sold the issue for me, and will have me back next month. Aaron made vader feel new to me.

Edit: let me add that I enjoyed the entire issue. Han and leia stuff, etc. vader just worked most for me.

BigAl6ft6, Taalcon and Darth_Pevra like this.
  24. JediFan215

Jul 31, 2014
    oh, I am. I don't like single issues at all.

25. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Picked my 002 up on the way to get the oil changed in my car, read it while I waited...

I can really, really hear the voices of the characters with this dialogue. Nailed the characterization again.

Leia ordering Han to CRUSH VADER. Dang, girl.

My favorite panel? R2 and the Jawa working together to hotwire the AT-AT guns.

So Luke rushes in to free the slaves all idealistically ... and most of them get slaughtered because of it. OUCH.

Really, really enjoying this. Can't wait for Vader 001!

EDIT: This was, by the way, the first time in over a decade, that I went to the counter of a comic book shop and asked them to get my pulls. BECAUSE I HAVE A PULL LIST NOW.

BigAl6ft6 and Joe Kalicki like this.