main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (Marvel) #1: Skywalker Strikes, part 1 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ordo Skirata, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    No they are not, they have Star Wars, one of the biggest and most flexible story telling possibilities ever created, they just choose to limit themselves artificially by only using the main characters.

Revanfan1, mes520, Riv_Shiel and 12 others like this.
  2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I expect a Rebel tie-in sooner or later will cover the pre-ANH period. I wonder how long until they do a crossover between the main Star Wars and Vader comic. Probably something like a four-part crossover, with most of the issues recapping events from the other side's point of view. "Find out how Vader ambushed our heroes in the Vader series! Then next month find out how or whether if our heroes will escape from Vader!" :p

Too bad they couldn't have done something more unexpected like a Droid series- Artoo and Threepio bouncing around the galaxy, causing and solving problems. Marvel has had some more humorous or crazy comics, and they could use to explain how Threepio got that silver leg (don't think there's a new canon explanation for it yet, is there? The Rebels trailer already showed it). But guess they just really, really want to focus on the week after Yavin or so. Who knows if that's Marvel's choice or Lucasfilm/Disney, Del Rey sure doesn't seem to be confined to that one time period, especially since they already have a Rebels tie-in scheduled.

Gorefiend likes this.
  3. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
    You're forgetting they have to star Luke, Han, Leia and Vader.

4. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Why? Why not have them star Lando, Chewie, (as Nobody already pointed out) R2 and 3PO, or for that matter Jabba, Bossk, or if they are really desperate Boba. You can tell a interesting story with about each person in the movies, or for that matter without the people in the movies, but just using the setting, it has been done before, why should it not work now. [face_dunno]

Revanfan1, mes520, Nobody145 and 4 others like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For all we know, it is the Story Group's requirements EU only focus on the main characters.

DHC likely had far more latitude than Marvel have.

6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

The new novels though certainly don't.

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I can see the main Star Wars and the Vader comic as being required. Post-Yavin, starring the heroes and a Vader comic because Vader is cool. I just wish the third series had been something a bit different, something a bit more original, something starring original characters would probably be too low-profile for them (I'm sure a lot of us would love a new X-wing comic starring Wedge Antilles), but at least something in a different time period rather than all three sounding like they take place a week or a month after Yavin.

I don't object to a Leia comic that much, just that its also set immediately post-Yavin too. Heck, look at Del Ray, they've got a probable Clone Wars era book, Rebel tie-in set in the Dark Times, and the Sith book starring Vader and Palpatine.

Unless they're really so worried about initial numbers they're going for the absolute safest and most popular characters. Heck, might as well just do new comic adaptations of the OT while they're at it if they want to stick to the most popular and famous stuff (complete with Han's superspeed dodging skills and shooting second, blinking Ewoks and Vader screaming NNNNNOOOOOOO!).

Eventually they'll probably branch out, and I don't fault them too much for two of the initial three being set in that "safe" post-Yavin period, but wish the third had shown more creativity. I know Star Wood doesn't count anymore (and should be forgotten as quickly as possible) but its just kind of funny that for years most stuff didn't bother with the post-adrenaline week after Yavin, now in less than two years we get two comic series trumpeting that as a major story element. Well, then again for most of the last 20 years there was more freedom, whereas in the last year or so most of the licensees were holding back on the more interesting eras.

Valin__Kenobi, Zorrixor and Gorefiend like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Novels are more of a surefire bet.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I can appreciate people's disappointment with Marvel "retreading old ground". We know that, whatever they do here, it'll ultimately line up with TESB... so, yeah, it's fairly unexciting. (Well, unless it turns out that more/less time actually passes between ANH and TESB than did in the original EU, I suppose?) Chances are high that it won't be anything we haven't seen before, and I think the majority of our interest lies in seeing what the NLU ("Non-Legendary Universe"... what? :p ) does with the post-RotJ period.

But we were always unlikely to get much of anything there until after the release of Episode VII. And, frankly, it's probably better that way.

10. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    I'm glad they're staring from starch and picking easily picked titles. I never read anything but a little bit of the the old EU some ripping it up and starting over is a-ok in my opinion.

If they were able to focus on someone else than I'd like to see a post ros Askoha or Ventress.

11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ooh, ooh, ooh! I have an idea for an original third series:

[​IMG]

Edit: This image choice has backfired... I actually find myself thinking Vader on Hoth could be cool. :p

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No, no Zorr, that's just some other ice planet and it's a promo for the companion book - Darth Vader and the Empire

13. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Hey, hey, the cover does not lie: Battle of Hoth #1, baby, yeah!

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

You should have photoshopped Sunber in and then it would have been epic :p

Zorrixor likes this.
  15. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I wonder since the Star Wars one and the Vader comic are ongoing I wonder if they will always stay in the timeline between Ep. IV and V and end at some point or if they will continue through the end of the OT timeline and beyond. Obviously the Vader comic couldn't go beyond ROTJ but the other one sure could.

Curious about that because comic series (if successful) tend to go on for years and years and years (TWD has been going on since 2003 and they have no plans to stop it as of yet).

Could the Star Wars comic go on past ROTJ and we will see what they did right afterward and see all the new characters being born (which by then the movies will be done so there will be nothing holding them back on telling those stories)? Or do you think they would eventually end this original comic series and start another one at a later point in the timeline?

But then again if they did do it that way it would take a long time for them to get to the ST characters (for instance I am currently reading stuff in TWD that probably was written about 2006 and in the timeline only about seven or eight months have passed since the beginning of the apocalypse).

16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, or like The Simpsons, they will just remain days after the Battle of Yavin until the end of time... it's worked the last 30 years :p

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Given Marvel's current pattern on their superhero series, say 2 years for Star Wars, then a relaunch from #1.

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Or it is so bad people just stop buying after issue 3 or 4 and it is done and forgotten within a year. ;)

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Can you really see any of those books failing with the creative names they have on them G? I can't.

20. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I don't think they'll reboot this series. Star Wars works differently than superhero comics. In Star Wars advancing along the timeline and having a growing cast is acceptable. There are more constraints with superheros. I guess if the story group wants another reboot, then there will be no choice, but that's highly unlikely. At least for a few more decades.

I hope Star Wars is the ongoing that takes us to the ST. That way they could have their ongoing for the main characters and save the other two slots for other series, which may or may not also use the big three. It seems pointless to end a series that would be perfect for a constant continuation. Also, I like the idea of being able to follow one series through the OT and ST. It sounds like it would be fun. My only worry would be that they will either rush to the sequel trilogy too fast (I don't want them jumping across the timeline that fast, if they're at ROTJ at that time, they should stay there) or take too long to get there. Although, I do have some confidence that they'll find the right balance.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    When I say relaunch from #1, I'm meaning SW will keep the story going from previous issues, just reset the numbering to #1 and tinker with the name.

22. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    That would be confusing. If the series is going to keep advancing, why reset the numbering. I guess it makes sense after a hundred or so issues. But still that would be hard to keep track of.

23. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014

My guess is that Marvel will slowly expand the line as we get closer to episode VII. My guess is that by next comic-con were going to maybe see Star Wars getting a PosT ROTJ bump after VII comes out, and being replaced with another book that takes place during the OT. I sort of expect to see

Star Wars Rebels - a mini series that takes place between the gap between rebels seasons.
    Star Wars
    Star Wars Vadar
    Star Wars insert mini series here
    A fifth title taking place in the OT.

But it mostly depends on what they plan to do for the books for next year and 2016.

interior art for Star Wars #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    That looks interesting; it makes me excited to read.

25. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    The art... is doing nothing for me. [face_sigh]
    I remember people thinking that about Star Wood-- even the people over on the Episode 7 board who jumped up and down with glee.