main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #17: Rebel Jail, part 2 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Mar 17, 2016.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    On the cover, Luke looks like an imp. or Peter Pan.

Ulicus and DelRiego like this.
  3. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    IG-RM droids are what Kanan and Janus Kasmir were stealing on Kaller, right? Would be neat if this tied back to the Kanan series somehow. The leader seems to have an oddly shaped helmet. Maybe a Kalleran? I <3 baseless speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ConservativeJedi321 and BobaMatt like this.
  4. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    IG-RM droids are the ones employed by Cikatro Vizago in Rebels.

5. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Also Alan Tudyk's droid character in Rogue One, based of eyewitness sketches, looks to be that model (or a similar one).

6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I enjoyed the twist with the villain's motivation in this issue but I'm dreading that it'll turn out to be yet another clichéd "He's a she" moment when Leia finally unmasks him/her

DelRiego and TiniTinyTony like this.
  7. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    I have a quite solid theory about the villains identity, I'll put it in a spoiler tag, in case it's true.
    I believe the villain is the spy from the Star Wars Annual. It would make sense considering the fact that the Darth Vader Annual is also important for that story arc. I also think that the lines "You've sent me into their midst" and "I've looked into the the face of the enemy" support that theory. It would also expalin how the villain knows Leia. And it would also explain why Marvel announced the fact that the Star Wars Annual is collected in Rebel Jail TPB via backchannels. It's as important for the story as the DV Annual for "Shu-Torun Invasion", but you wouldn't want to announce it, cause it could spoil people.

8. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I only have one thing to say:
    Luke's got a lot of nerfs nerves pulling out such a disgraceful trick on Han. :p

9. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I hope Luke and Han's story has an actual payoff to it other than being simple comic relief because the last thing we need is Luke being made to look like a bad smuggler as well as a bad hero (see ep VII ;))

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I loved seeing Han herd some nerfs. Now I just need to see him milk some moofs and my life will be complete.

BigAl6ft6 and CnlSandersdeKFC like this.
  11. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    A few stray observations:
    Nothing ground-shattering, just points that are interesting to me.

• The nerfs have their classic EU appareance (not that it's super important, but it still pleases me) ;
    • To my knowledge, this comic contains the first mention of the Imperial Special Forces in canon ;
    • We've got one more proof that Leia is a helluva fighter.

12. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    I am starting to think that this guy might be Snoke, what with his implied history of Princess Leia, his height, etc.... :p(probably not, but it is fun to think about) :

[​IMG]

13. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    The colors in this book are great. The sickly yellow at the beginning and the use of black and red at the end give the book a great feel.

At this point I'm very comfortable with Aaron's writing. He and Gillen are creating a wonderful little sub-universe that I'm getting more and more immersed in.

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    He looks like what would happen if Mark Hamill tried to imitate Jack Nicholson's Joker.

LelalMekha likes this.
  15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Not a bad book at all. I also truly enjoyed the colors.

16. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I doubt that the antagonist is a female, as he already said he was male. Either way, having masked characters reveal themselves as females is not bad, just like if it was a male it would not be bad. It would only be bad if the character was said to be a certain gender but turned out to be the other.

I also believe that theorenwulf has a good point about who the villian is. I originally thought it was somebody from her comic series, but I could not think of many people. Maybe I just need to reread that series and the Annual, plus the Leia novel that came out last year. :D

17. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    All I can think about when I see this new villain dude is The Punisher, though maybe that's just because I binged Daredevil over the weekend. :p

BigAl6ft6 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So while I'm praising Palpatine in the other comic thread for being so deceptive and so evilly "ends justify the means," here I am delighted by how they handled Leia sticking to her ideals and not letting herself be persuaded into murder.

I am glad they did this -- I like the idea of Rebels struggling to take the higher road, although I wish instead of her opposing an obviously deranged extremist it'd be more of a struggle -- something where there's a serious cost between principles and expediency. (And then, hopefully, going on the high road). But it's a good start.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    It's nice that instead of going for the bounty hunters come to rescue Aphra for Vader route, they're going with a more morally grey villain who could actually end up being sympathetic when we learn more about him/her.

20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I enjoy this arc a lot. One of the best in the series for sure. My only criticism is when they cut back to Han and Luke just when things were really interesting.

I'll probably skip the Obi Bore issue though.

It's kinda sad but the comics excite me more than Episode VIII does. The Marvel SW-verse is growing and flourishing.

Jedi Ben and fett 4 like this.
  21. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Sana is a very cool character, I'm really looking forward to seeing ...

... her, Leia and Aphra working together. I wonder if the doctor will accept that Vader has cut her loose?

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, yes, I did just read that. I now have this horrible curiosity - why?

It's not just you. I think a large part of the success is due to that Marvel knew they were following DHC, knew they had to make an impact and prove they are worthy holders of the licence. So they put their best creators on the line, pulled off a minor miracle of 6 issues of Cassaday art and have done that.

The only point I'm sceptical on is how much freedom Marvel have to do stuff, which may be constraining them.

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Well, it may be better not to give them too much freedom. Because it's Marvel and all that. Too many character resurrections, retconned pasts and so on hurt the franchise.

fett 4 and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    True, there is quite a difference what DHC did and what Marvel would likely do with greater latitude.

(For instance, Civil War II has killed my interest in post-Secret Wars Marvel.)

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I reckon I like her because she's basically a Dark Empire character restored to canon!

I haven't enjoyed any of Marvel's universe-spanning events in a long time; they're confusing, drawn-out and repetitive. I'm a big Spider-Man fan and his corner of the MU is generally pretty fun; books with a tighter focus are the best.[/quote]

Jedi Ben likes this.