main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (Marvel) #2: Skywalker Strikes, part 2 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Feb 4, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Published: February 04, 2015
    Rating: Rated T
    Writer: Jason Aaron
    Cover Artist: John Cassaday

THE GREATEST SPACE ADVENTURE OF ALL TIME CONTINUES! The Rebel assault on Cymoon 1 continues! Luke Skywalker – cornered by Darth Vader! Han, Leia, and the others – trapped!

Discussion began in the thread for issue #1- please continue the discussion here.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Another epic issue. Gotta love the narrative economy Aaron is using here.

And I think dp4m will be happy to know that one of his old pet peeves has finally been explained. [face_batting]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Another solid issue- though, again, not breaking any new ground it does have a couple very cool action moments (Vader vs AT-AT- kinda reminds one a tad of Dark Empire in a way) and a few good lines (though a bit forced at times, the Han/Leia banter is generally very good and Vader gets a couple good lines (the "many fathers" line in particular). the Threepio subplot was enjoyable last time around but here feels like a distraction (do we really need Threepio being blasted apart "again" [yes, this would technically be the first time, but you know what I mean]?). Luke's womprat line is kinda bad but gets forgiven for the generally cool moments surrounding it.

From the other thread:

Yeah, I'm thinking this encounter will be the new version of "Vader's Quest" in a way-so far as this being how Vader discovers Luke's identity/name of the pilot who destroyed the Death Star.

EternalHero and Taalcon like this.
  4. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Great issue, Vader got a pretty good feat with the walker, it sets some of the later stuff without feeling forced which is nice.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I still love that cover. But yeah, very fast-paced issue. I loved the way they showed unmasked-Vader in shadows like that. More symbolic than anything else at this point, but a cool little detail nonetheless.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I have no more pet peeves. Those were wiped away with all of the canon.

Which one, incidentally?

Not that I'm ever going to read it.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    This has nothing to do with the EU; it's a movie (and RPG) one. And I'm not going to say any more: I woudln't want you to read any NEU.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Speaking of nitpicks, for an issue that so often showed the underside of an AT-AT foot, you'd think they'd have gotten the design right. That grid pattern they used here was noticeably distracting given that we saw a pretty clear view of the design in ESB, various toys, Star Tours exterior, etc. Heck, not even the also-acceptable GCN logo! ;)

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  9. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    That pattern apparently also appeared in the classic Marvel series so, er, tribute?

Rogue_Follower and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd say more than Solid. I pretty much figured this was my last issue. Even though the first issue was good, how much new can you do with these character in this timeline? Saga and other sy-fy comics have a lead against a Star Wars comic because they can do whatever they want to. Even so, even if it was familiar, Aaron has proven(so far to be fair) that he as mastery over these character.

With in 2 pages I was hooked with this issue. Why? VADER. If I was a guy who had never read a Star Wars comic before, only perhaps watched the movies, without a doubt it's the writing of Vader here that would hook me. If the good guys are to good, you need a great villain, and Vader delivers.

Sum#$^@# is snapping necks, force throwing Lightsabers all over the place. Those two scenes alone are great. Luke saying everything is gonna be alright only to have his lightsaber swing past him and slice some dudes throat. Clear acknowledgement that he's in way over his head. Who cares if Vader and Luke clashed ONE TIME with their sabers. The writing saves it all. Instead of feeling like I had seen this before, that scene with Vader and Luke felt REAL. The exchange between the two hit the mark, and in earnest if felt like it was all before ESB when Vader was just the guy who killed Lukes father. I mean just that scene where Luke is like," You killed by father," and Vader's like, "So. I've killed lots of daddies. @#$^ You." I was smiling ear to ear. This is the guy I want to read. This is the Vader I want to read.

The Han and Leia stuff with the AT-AT, the 3P0 scene are all great, and all Star Wars.

True none of it's groundbreaking. Probably none of it ever will, but it's fun. It has that old Marvel adventure feel(so far). If Aaron can keep this up, and give us Vader at this Bad Ass best, then he has a series worth reading.

I'm saying it right here, agree or not, I think the Vader written here was better than what DH did with him over 20 years.

11. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    This is going to be a freakin' great series.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "Myself."

13. PapiNacho

PapiNacho Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2015
    T'was good. I've said before that I don't want this to be a thing, but after this issue I have to say: I still don't want Luke vs Vader to become a thing. Also, Vader being super powerful makes him look cool, but it does beg the question of how Luke holds his own in ESB or why he is so surprised that Yoda can lift his X-wing.

14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yep, i think this is bordering on sacrilige... eu much, Disney?

Good_News_Nobody likes this.
  15. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I was still annoyed by a ton of stuff in this issue. However, the last few pages were absolutely brilliant.

16. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Luke does not hold his own in ESB. Vader is just screwing around with him the whole fight because he doesn't want to kill him, he wants to turn him. That's obvious just from watching ESB alone.

Now, this issue is excellent (though I'm sure there's going to be infinite complaining about how ESB is ruined forever because Luke and Vader looked at each other or something like that), but there is one problem I have. It was also a problem with the last issue. According to the Wook, this is supposed to be a Togruta:
    [​IMG]

Has this artist ever even seen a picture of Shaak Ti or what? That looks like some kind or Togruta/Twi'lek hybrid or something. Just, what even?

17. PapiNacho

PapiNacho Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2015

He screwing around, but that costs him, and when Luke hits him with the gas, he actually has to try. You can tell by how he had to cut off Luke's arm and he couldn't just disarm him like he does here. Plus even if you still disagree, there is no question about Luke holding his own in ROTJ and that is only 1 year away.

edit -- Also, that pic is hilarious, clearly Togutras have evolved, or that is a branch species.

18. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Kablob I like to think that Jordan White handed Cassaday a picture of Ahsoka and said "If you really have to draw a Togruta make sure that it can't be construed as this Togruta in any possible way."

WMIRTUTSF, cdgodin, CooperTFN and 3 others like this.
  19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    The Wook also insisted the Imperial protocol droid in the first issue was 4-LOM.

Salt. Grain.

CooperTFN likes this.
  20. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    I loved this issue. Funny thing, I always though luke would wear the yellow outfit after ANH.

21. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    :rolleyes:

True. But what are they supposed to be, then? It just doesn't make any sense. They don't really look like Togruta, they don't really look like Twi'leks. They look like a weird mash-up of both.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Eh, it's far from the first time a comic has depicted a strange "hybrid" species. I'd chalk it up to artistic license- the Wook can chalk it up to Twigruta.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't know. A Togruta race? A subspecies? Hybrids? Near-Togruta? A case of convergent evolution? Ugly individuals? A stylization? The wrong art reference?

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Trudged through snow and slush to pick up this issue. Absolutely worth it.

Vader had such a grand time with his old lightsaber. That was awesome. The level of badassery from Vader was badass. I even loved how while Luke is having a minor breakdown about how hopeless everything is, Luke / Anakin's lightsaber flies into panel and chops up the poor chump of a slave and Luke has that horrified reaction to it.

I think Luke is going to realize that he has to listen to Obi-Wan's advice and "Run" every damn time he sees Vader. This is him learning. ESB is him finally standing up.

The "punchline" to the Threepio scene did seem a bit too similar to ESB, however I did like the build up to it when Threepio tried to scare the scavengers off and then promptly surrendered. Even just a few panels of Han and Leia banter were worthwhile. And I kinda dug how Han is pretty much refusing to believe in The Force even while Vader is crushing the AT-AT they're currently residing in.

Loved the action and dynamic way that Cassaday drew the issue. Yes, that doesn't look much like a Torunga but did you see the freakin' panels where Luke is jumping on the speeder, using his blaster, Vader almost pulling a Count Dooku mark II on him? I'll take a few off model characters thank you very much for the big punch of awesome. This is some "widescreen" action comic booking, and I'm having a hellova fun time reading it.

Joe Kalicki and DoubleSith like this.
  25. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

Luke gets his ass handed to him in 2 seconds in this one, its not a real fight. He never witnesses Vader performing any sort of drastic levitation besides chucking the lightsaber around, which actually ties in PERFECTLY with Heir to the Jedi coming out next month, because after getting his ass handed to him by Vader Luke becomes fascinated with learning how to do the same trick (a big part of the book is Luke taking the first step to learning how to force train and he specifically talks about how he wants to learn how to use levitation).

If the series maintains this level of high quality in pretty much every department, it'll be a GREAT start to the new comic line.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.