main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (Marvel) #2: Skywalker Strikes, part 2 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Feb 4, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There's a world of difference between sampling a chapter of a book and buying it and reading a comic in its entirety and not buying it.

Barriss_Coffee and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    For many people these big box book sellers are their local comic store.

There are all kinds of scenarios that come into play. I'd suggest the book store is fine with someone reading something there to encourage sales, if not of that particular book then of other things. Maybe the customer buys other books while they are there, maybe they buy a coffee and a bagel. If the store itself takes issue with it, they can set their own rules that should be followed.

But it isn't stealing - there is no law saying that it is. You can feel however you wish about it morally, but that doesn't make it illegal.

Stores in question are encouraging that you do just that in order to try and get a competitive advantage over online retailers. Could be that they feel by allowing people to do that they will get more people who read the comic in question, fall in love with it, and thus start buying it on a regular basis.

This seems like a big gray area to me.

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  3. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    I was told off for reading a comic book at my local store. The owners don't like it when it happens.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. PapiNacho

PapiNacho Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2015

Depends on the owners really, some are fine with it. It certainly seems to be legal.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It happened to me once when I was like 16--learned my lesson after that.

Actually, it was Union #1. ;)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not to mention- it's pretty damn rude to other customers to read an entire book/comic and then put it back. I really don't want to think about how many people have already gotten their hands all over a book when I go to buy it, let alone a comic or magazine.

And I know plenty of people do it, especially with magazines- it's half the reason I do in fact only buy digital comics or order trades online. I'd like to think these things are circulated quickly enough that this isn't an issue, but I'm sure there's plenty of comic floppies that have been sitting on a shelf for ages, having been read by dozens of freeloaders. And that's probably especially true in comic stores versus a Barnes and Noble- I've been to plenty of comic shops to know that not all store owners care if people read the comics and don't pay, therefore making such a practice more commonplace.

7. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I don't have much to say about this issue; I have already defended Luke's confrontation with Vader and I didn't feel like much else happened. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, it was great. I feel that all of the characters continue to be portrayed well and I'm looking forward to the next issue. I enjoyed the battle also.

I'm seriously loving what Marvel is doing with Star Wars; I can't wait to see how this arc ends and where this series goes for there. I think that once we leave Cymoon we'll begin to get an idea of what the overarching plot will be and how the series will progress. Currently we are on the introduction, which is filling its role nicely.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Do you think Vader developed a disdain for troopers because they are recruits instead of his trustworthy clones? I'd like to see a bit, and if possible a whole story regarding the phasing out of clones.

spicer likes this.
  9. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    None of my comic books are digital, prefer the physical copies.

Robimus likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Negative. When it comes to books that are only available for retail, there is a giant gulf between browsing and sampling a few pages and reading the entire damn thing and then putting it back. To read the entire book, you pay for it. You read it without paying for it, that's experiencing the entire content without purchasing it. Negative profit for anyone, only person who comes on the plus column is the schmuck who read it without paying for it and then gets to express their disdain on a message board. And that's not good for anybody ever!

Darth_Duck and Darth_Pevra like this.
  11. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    It's not like these comics have any artistic merit or are supporting starving artists.

It's just money being pumped into the soulless Disney machine.

Good_News_Nobody likes this.
  12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    This is why I kept my distance from the fan community for so long. Pointless, stupid negativity simply for the sake of being negative. It gets so tiresome.

13. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Well said=D==D==D=

14. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I buy in store, get my free bonus digital copy from the purchase, and tell Marvel through their dropdown who I bought the book from so they get credit. Why pay for just digital when you can get the book and digital together for the same price?

15. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    How do you get the free digital copy? I looked through my physical copy, but I didn't see any instructions.

16. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    There's a page that has a peel off sticker with the code underneath. I think the ad has had a big Howard the Duck on top of the page if I'm not mistaken. Don't have it on me at the moment. It also lists the url to go to to redeem it. It will then be available on the Marvel app and the comixology app.

17. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Thanks!

18. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I do the same, though I honestly have no idea how it actually helps my comic shop.

19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Set up a subscription service with your local comic store, handling of the books will be minimal and your still supporting your local community.

That is interesting. I've never seen this advertised. Do all the comic companies do this or just Marvel?​
    Though I admit I'm not going to peel anything off of a comic I buy :p

If they read one and don't buy it, but then buy 2 others that they read the same day it is still a win for the business in question.​
    Also, since you bring it up, how would it change anything if the poster liked the comic?​

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, the comic artists and writers who make them are so rich, they don't need your money at all. It's all just going into Scrooge McDuck's vault and no one actually needs to get paid for their work.

21. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

Its on the cover of every issue.
    [​IMG]

22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i get everything on amazon, and for many things it is cheaper than a book store.

23. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    You get comics on Amazon? Or graphic novels? I can't imagine comics being cheaper with all the individual sellers on there.

24. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Right comics are not cheaper. Maybe a tpb would be, but not comics on amazon.

25. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Honestly the cheapest way to buy comics is probably ebay... There are plenty of people who sell the digital codes from marvel comics for $1-$2. So far I've bought the first two Star Wars ones from my comic shop though, I like supporting the creators. Have yet to pick up Vader #1 but I'll definitely do that sometime this week (Hopefully they have it in stock!).

JediMatteus likes this.