main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (Marvel) #3: Skywalker Strikes, part 3 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Feb 4, 2015.

1. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

"Luuuuke, if you are finding this I am dead. Find an A&R being to mix in a bass line and release it to mess with Vader's head. He'll be like;; "Who is spitting on this dope holotape?", and then he'll realize it's me. It worked for Tupac, Luke, perhaps I should look into this appearing after death hologram force power. DJ-D2...DROP THE BEAT!"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    There was no continuity error, guys. Vader didn't kill the guy, just made him mentally retarded and pinned the blame on him. That's why we see him mumbling incoherently when being tortured by Palpatine.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    (Qui- Gon's ghost appears)
    "Hold up- I'mma let you finish, but I just wanted to say that Anakin Skywalker had the highest MIDIchlorian beat count ever!"

4. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    This may have been my favourite of the series so far. Loved the urgency of it and Vader attacking the AT-AT was great. The red glow on his mask was a great callback to McQuarrie's art.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, Overseer Agadeen didn't exactly look all that "healthy" in his one panel appearance in Darth Vader #1. The "he'll have my head for this" gag (which is an awesome gag, to be fair) totally works if you only read "Star Wars" but if you read "Darth Vader" as well he still could be pretty damn messed up.

6. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    It's obvious whats in the Box, a warning from Obi-Wan to Luke telling him not to fall in love with Leia. [face_laugh]

Amdrag, Zer0, cubman987 and 2 others like this.
  7. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

This may connect the dots. I'm going to have to go back and look at the Vader issue...

8. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    hey, I got a better idea, you know what is in the box? Marvel's secret formula for selling over 2 million star wars comics already. We only have had three issues of star wars, two issues of Darth Vader and one issue of Princess Leia. Over 2 million, yep, Obi-Wan had got Marvel formula. How about that [face_laugh]

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not quite that clear cut though- those sales figures are ridiculously front-loaded and represent retailers buying a very significant number of extra copies in advance of the new movie release (as well as Loot Crate's impact on that first single issue). The numbers are very, very good, but we still have the launch/Big 2-reclaims-license-curiosity effect until sales normalize.

SW #1 did a little over 1 million between Jan-Feb, though 200k of that was from Loot Crate (a subscription service that includes different things each month, so subscribers may or may not be interested in SW- and, regardless, is a one-time sales boost not indicative of overall sales).

By comparison, SW #2 did 162k- still quite high but much more realistic. DV #1 did 264k while DV #2 did 100k. The former likely reflecting retailer overpurchasing, just at a reduced rate compared to SW #1. PL #1 is said to have had 200k in preorders, which suggests similar ordering levels to DV #1 (and that stores likely ordered similar numbers of initial SW spin-off titles, while concentrating their orders on the core title).

This would indicate the various series are averaging around 100k+ in "normal" sales (not that the "not normal sales" don't count for Marvel- they're still getting money for them, afterall).

All in all, I'd estimate there's probably between 500k-700k (I really don't see it hitting 800k) of copies actually sold to customers between these 5 issues, plus the Loot Crate copies.

Which would mean that, if the answer is in Obi-Wan's crate, then the answer would be a series of fortuitous events- which would be impossible, as Obi-Wan doesn't believe in luck. ;)

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  10. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    (A brief recap)
    The best thing about this issue was that we saw an actual big Imperial factory and furious Vader in action.
    (enhanced,imperial AAT's,AT-ST's,Tie Fighters,mention of a Tie Bomber,ITT,speeder bikes,combat speeder bikes,AT-AT's)
    The Cymoon 1 Trilogy (Skywallker Strikes) has been a nice start to launch this series with only few callbacks and cool Easter Eggs.
    The art is well done although sometimes looks off.
    Luke's spectacles in this issue I might get slide .(He was guided by the Force)
    Darth Vader vs AT-AT reminded of the Dark Empire and the mention of Adjudicator was nice.

Jo

11. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    This was another good issue. Everyone was in character; the dialogue fit perfectly based on what we know from ANH. The issue felt very much like a part of the saga. The conclusion to the mission was handled well, the action was engaging. I loved the end; I cannot wait to see how the next issue continues the story.

I do have one fear, but it isn't related to the content of the issue. I worry that the hype for the ST will cause this series to be cancelled too soon. I want them to have adequate tine to lead into ESB and hopefully even connect to ROTJ, but that's only 6 months and can be handled with books and maybe a miniseries. I feel that the gap between ANH and ESB is important and needs to be filled.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  12. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    That's the same thing I fear that will happen to Star Wars : Rebels.

13. WadiumArcadium

Nov 27, 2014
    Jason Aaron's said on Twitter that he's in it for the 'long haul' on Star Wars so I think it's safe to assume it'll be carrying on in this time period for a while yet.

14. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

But the art style about to change with Jon Cassaday being replaced by Stuart Immonen. :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. WadiumArcadium

Nov 27, 2014
    It's a very common occurrence with comics these days though. Then again, look at the Walking Dead. Over 140 issues and it's only had two artists in the entire run.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Maybe, to continue a trend, they'll call it Shadows of the Alliance.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You need not worry, the title has sold 6-7 figures a time! Marvel are all about the monthly sales, they're far more likely to re-launch and play with the numbering than cancel it.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm just wondering if a book Marvel publishes named "Star Wars" will always just be the OT cast? Surely to heck by some point in 2016 there will be an ST-era ongoing book.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Easy, there'll be another title, characters will get moved around - you know how the game works Al!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    If the do that I hope it's later than 2016, maybe 2017 or 2018. I just can't see Marvel dking four ongoings at once. If they did another, I'd expect a series to get cancelled. I don't know what to expect from Kanan, but I guess that one would probably be easier to cancel. Darth Vader and Star Wars need a lot of time to build up to ESB. I know they are selling well, but I'm worried about the hype for the ST causing them to either cancel them or jump ahead on the timeline. What I'd rather see with the ST, is a large number of mini series tying close to the ST films, ROTJ, or sitting in the middle of the 30 year gap, and/or in the middle of the 30 year gap and tying the era together. Once EP8 comes out then they cam do an ongoing in that era. At least this is my hope.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You're thinking of DHC, Marvel have the resources to do 10 SW books if they wanted and they thought they'd sell. And so far, the evidence is yes, they would!

All bets really are off.

Darth_Pevra and JediKnight75 like this.
  22. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Awesome! If they can do 4 ongoings thethat's great. And that wouldn't cause them to have to focus less on other series? I'm loving what Marvel is doing, and I definitely want more. Would they really? I guess I thought the story group gave them a limit on series or that they are doing three because that's all they planned to do at once.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not a matter of resources, it is a matter of how many titles the market can sustain without being flooded. DHC kept their output in check (something that ws, IIRC, at least partially a LFL decree).

Still, I don't think you have to worry about SW getting cancelled anytime soon for one simple reason: Darth Vader. Marvel will want some series that can use Vader to be available at almost any given time. Now, they might drop SW and keep the DV series going but keeping SW would seem more plausible at this junction, even if DV has been better so far. SW allows them to do more variety and still use Vader when they need to instead of all the time.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    True but Quest we're talking of the company that puts out at least 6 Avengers and 10 X-Men books and has decided to support its Secret Wars event with 20-40 books depending on how you count them! Add to this that the SW titles they have done have sold on a scale not seen in decades and I wouldn't blame Marvel for thinking yes, the market is there as is the consumer demand.

DHC has always been a much smaller company that punches way above their weight so the idea they couldn't do more than 4 always seemed logical. The idea that LFL decides to limit the number of books is interesting though, wasn't aware of that. That said I don't think DHC would have done more if they could, they tend to be more about quality than quantity.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm gonna assume Aaron is telling the truth when he's in for the long haul, he probably has it mapped out to ESB at least, just wondering how many issues it'll get there. Personally, in my head, I would like to see the main "Star Wars" book do 24 issues of ANH to ESB, 24 issues of ESB to ROTJ, 24 issues post ROTJ. (I'm sure Aaron can get 2 years in between each movie easily, especially since he does long form "widescreen" comic booking)