main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (Marvel) #3: Skywalker Strikes, part 3 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Feb 4, 2015.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

I would imagine that when you get huge numbers like this that Star Wars is getting now not all those sales are coming by way of fans who are actually reading the comic or intend to read it. I would bet there are a lot of people who buy bunches of them who intend to sell them off online somewhere for a little higher price then what they paid. I'm sure many folks in those trading circles are seing this whole Star Wars build up towards the new movies as an opportunity for themselves to make a little cash.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh come on, when did everyone get so cynical around here?

3. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Lol, I just took notice of the sales of last month off that site and noticed in the top 10 you had real big brands like Batman, Spiderman, and Star Wars (plus that Orphan Black #1 issue) all at or above the 100k level. Then it dropped off about 25k to things outside of the top 10.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    100 k with the majority of them being just speculators is a bit much, even with Marvel unleashing the variant covers.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

I wasn't implying the majority of them. I should have probably said a portion of them. Maybe if you take out the people who buy them up for other reasons than to read them you might decrease the number by 20,000 or so (with a few more than that for the #1's or major event comics).

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Is it so hard for people that Marvel marketed the hell out of the new comics, using a ton of cash and resources in the process and still got a far bigger return than they ever expected?

Marvel are very good but 1m sales? They're not that good, that is an unplanned one-off phenomenon that if it hits you ride it for as long as possible.

Unlike some, I don't see Marvel's success as detracting from DHC's, they likely have options that likely wouldn't have been open to DHC. For instance, I don't expect DR to get away with the crap they pulled on DHC on multiple occasions.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Chomp, chomp, chomp. That's me eating my words.

I read issues 1-3 on the commute home tonight. I enjoyed them enough to follow through to issue 6 anyway. Darn Jason Aaron's Mind tricks (as much as he ticks me off with some stuff he does, I always seem to cave in. It must be his beard. :D )

BigAl6ft6 and The Positive Fan like this.