main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (Marvel) #5: Skywalker Strikes Part 5 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, May 4, 2015.

1. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
  2. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Loved this issue. Was great to see Fett kicking some ass and the Han/Leia dialogue was great - it wouldn't have been out of place in the films.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  3. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012

Fett wasn't kicking ass, he murdered good and bad people to get the answers he was looking for, so tell me in what world is that an "ass kicker"? he's a villain plain and simple.

SilentGuy66, cwustudent and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Good issue. I was drawn in by the previous issues a little bit more but still a good issue nonetheless. At first I thought Han and Leia fighting for control of the pilot seat was a little silly until I realized it was essentially Han trying to take the controls from Leia (which fit his character well).

Also did anybody notice how Han said 'bucketheads'? Surely that is not a coincidence of them putting that in there and I wonder if that is a little hint that Sabine is still alive at this point in time?

5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012

"Bucketheads" lol. gotta love Continuity.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "Bucketheads" has been around for a long time- going back as far as Rebel Assault 1 at the evry least. Though, in the NU, it hasn't been used as much yet.

Primarily from his depictions as an adult. In ANH, he remains calm and collected in Docking Bay 94 and there to back up his boss. But he's not flying across the room to beat the money out of Han.

In ESB, he isn't intimidated by Vader but is calm and compliant with his employer's requests not talking back to him with a "Boba Fett calls the shots now!" quip. Every appearance of Fett on Cloud City is calm and collected- he displays quick snap reflexes during the only two times he draws his weapon. But none of those indicate a psychopath. He's just doing what the job requires- not going out of his way to do more.

In ROTJ, he's again back in Cloud City mode (if even a bit more relaxed with the added SE scene), still listening to his employer. Later, he's the only one suspicious of Artoo's actions aboard the sail barge but he doesn't start ripping the droid apart the instant he suspects anything. When the Luke hits the fan, he snaps into action again, but specifically targets Luke- surely a tactical decision but he's not exactly going for collateral damage on the other prisoners or skiff crew.

The only time he loses his calm is when he's screaming "WHAT THE?!" while flailing around in the air.

Jump back to AOTC and there's basically three scenes with the kid where he says anything- when he greets Obi-Wan at the door (where he's not supposed to like him) and obeys his father's directives, when he fires upon Obi-Wan with Slave I (again, a logical tactic) and later his commentary during the Geonosis chase (the only possible moment that might fit with the psycho Fett is his laugh, but that's debateable given that it's his father showing off to his son).

In TCW, he just goes after Mace Windu. And while the destruction of the Star Destroyer would result in a lot of collateral- that wasn't his plan (which was to bomb Windu's chambers) and he protests that directive (and later regrets his actions as a whole). He then protests the taking of hostages beyond Windu (and their subsequent treatment).

And from what i do remember of his later appearance, he was just doing the job hired. He didn't let emotion get in the way.like Ventress did. That is consistent with the Fett of the OT.

Again, I'm not saying he isn't a ruthless hunter who'll bring in an innocent person if that's the job. He is a villain and doesn't have to be an anti-hero. But a psycho? That's not supported by his canon portrayal. It's not contradicted by his canon portrayal, but that's a completely different thing. You could write a story where Lando is revealed to be habitually violent towards women he dates- and while his canon portrayal wouldn't contradict that, it wouldn't support it either.

7. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

I don't think we saw much of Boba's personality enough in the films to actually judge his personality though, which is making it free for the comics to decide.

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't tend to think of Boba as a psycho, and I'd agree that the OT's depiction of him doesn't really fit the idea. On the other hand, AOTC definitely does. TCW, on the other hand, I see more of OT Fett coming to light. He was pragmatic and sure, he was going to take the girl into slavery, but he wasn't malicious about it; he was just doing his job, getting the money. This new depiction of him is certainly odd, but it remains to be seen whether this is going to carry across the board or it'll be only this writer who does this with him. Next guy who writes Fett (and I'd bet there will be a "Fett" series to go along with "Princess Leia" and "Lando" before all that long...), he may once again be a more calm, collected guy. This could just be an oddity. Maybe Boba's in a bad mood this day. :p

The2ndQuest likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hopefully this series will end like this:

(as Boba gets ready to torture Luke about his identity)

Boba Fett: "Your days were numbered the moment BOBA FETT went on your trail! Now, I can't say I won't enjoy thi--"

(Boba Fett is disintegrated, as someone else walks out of the shadows: the real Boba Fett)

Boba: "You talk too much."

(Boba starts to walk away)

Luke: "You're not gonna take me in?"

Boba: "Not my job."

10. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
  11. SpaceLord2014

SpaceLord2014 Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2014
    Don't give them any more bad ideas.

Gotta say I'm really disappointed so far with the Marvel comics. If this keeps up in the next round it will be Luke against the emperor.

Why would he hire Fett to go around trying to find out the identity of the guy who blew up the death star? I mean it wasn't a secret with Luke getting a medal and all in front of pretty much the whole Alliance so word must have gotten out and I would suspect that it would be easier to get the information that way than to have Fett running around like an idiot beating up people on Tat. From the movie I would guess that Luke had never been to Mos Eisly and Obi-Wan probably not that much, I don't think that would pass for hiding out. Yet somehow a friend of Luke's just happened to be in the cantina, how very convenient.

To me it all just feels like a reason to throw in Fett in the mix to get the Fett fans excited.

cwustudent likes this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    How exactly is word getting out? The rebels are a tight-knit group, if there was an imperial plant in their midst then Vader wouldn't have had to torture Leia in ANH, they'd already have known the location. I'm sure that the rebellion doesn't advertise in the whole galaxy that Luke Skywalker destroyed the Death Star.

Jedi Ben and Taalcon like this.
  13. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    That must have been For a few dollars more, when Lee Van Cleef was still more or less allied with him.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I enjoyed this issue, as I've enjoyed the other issues. I do like seeing Fett being a cold murderer. He wanted information, he got it, he tied off the lose end - What if he leaves the kid alive and he goes to warn "Wormie"? Bang, bang, you're dead. The cantina is lucky he didn't drop a thermal detonator in the place to make it really clean.

The Han & Leia stuff was really fun, I loved how Han started to bolt, which turned out to be a bad idea. The way I see it, this is why he "flies casual" in the shuttle in ROTJ. He has experience that bolting from the Imps is a bad idea, but he's still hesitant telling Chewie "Keep your distance but don't make it look like you're trying to keep your distance."

I do like how hesitant Luke is portrayed in this but he has bursts of Force inspired moments. I'm guessing with him blinded, it'll be a fun fight but he can tune into the Force to fight off Fett, sort of a graduation ceremony from the training remote in ANH which he did blindfolded. Also, yes, Tuskens know to run very far away when they see a lightsaber now.

Gonna miss Cassaday when he leaves but getting one more issue, and I get the feeling they'll put him on an annual or a mini so it can come out. But 5 issues in 5 months by John Cassady standards is pretty amazing. But I think the replacement artist, Stuart Immonen, is also a genius idea.

Fittingly, I like this book the most out of the all the Marvel series because it says "Star Wars" on the cover and has Our Heroes in it doing stuff that they do. I gets what I pays for! Me likey!

Taalcon likes this.
  15. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Mmmmm Napalm

Mmmmm Napalm Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2014
    To be fair, it's perfectly understandable as to why. He's a popular, well known character, and we haven't seen much of him in the new canon. I don't see anything wrong with his inclusion, I'm just irritated he's being written so poorly.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  17. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Fett has become sort of the Jason Vorhees of Bounty Hunters. Or, you might say, he's embodies the terror one has of Vader without needing the Force. I think that's a pretty new take on him, but if this is the path they're taking, I think it's an interesting new direction.

It's a further extention of the already existent idea that Vader and Fett are strange parallels of each other.

The kid who was unnaturally created and only had one parent
    [​IMG][​IMG]

...who had that parent die in front of him after the result of a brutal physical attack which scarred him and launched a thirst for revenge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Who embraces his path to power first under an apprenticeship

[​IMG][​IMG]

before coming into his own as a leader
    [​IMG][​IMG]

, and eventually embraces his identity, and is hardened into an unstoppable masked killing machine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Mmmmm Napalm

Nov 6, 2014
    Why are you speaking of Fett's childhood? We know nothing about his origins. Also, why have you posted images of some Maori kid? Is that supposed to be Fett?

19. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I, too, agree that he's written in a way that makes him...unlikeable.

Understandable? Meh. Popular? Meh. Vader is busy running errands for Palps, so I understand why the story requires a middle man to collect Luke. That I understand. Fett might be popular (Force knows why), but he's still an ***hole. Where's Ventress when I need her?

20. Mmmmm Napalm

Nov 6, 2014
    Fett's status as the guy hired by Vader makes sense. It establishes Fett as one of Vader's contacts and explains why he would be one of Vader's go-to guys when he needed to find the Falcon. Besides, we haven't seen Fett in action in the new canon, regardless of your feelings on the character there are a lot of Fett fans, why shouldn't they get to see a character they like in action?

Ventress? Bleh. We've seen plenty of her and I'm sick of PT era content. Ventress being called up makes less sense than Fett.

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    What do you mean with well known? We don't know much about adult Fett, only what we saw in the movies, and in those he was a stone-cold mercenary without morality.

22. Mmmmm Napalm

Nov 6, 2014
    I mean he's a well-known Star Wars character. He's known by many people, even people who aren't too familiar with Star Wars know who Boba Fett is, or at least what he looks like.

Regarding Fett as a character, in the movies I didn't get any feeling that he could be characterized by a complete and utter lack of a moral code. He hunts down Han Solo, who previously smuggled narcotics. Yeah there's the "no disintegrations" line, but that doesn't necessarily imply a complete lack of morality.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In order to hand him over to Jabba - Solo's boss in the spice-smuggling business.

Jedi Knight Fett and Darth_Pevra like this.
  24. Mmmmm Napalm

Nov 6, 2014
    What I was trying to say was that Fett's targets weren't exactly innocent either, so his targets don't serve as the best indicator for Fett's moral code or lack thereof.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Which means nothing in the "moral code" department - only evidence that Fett avoids targeting innocents would mean anything.

And we only see one character "targeted by Fett" in the movies.

In TCW, he does accept a contract to deliver a package to a dictator - and refuses to renege on it even when it turns out that the "package" is an innocent woman:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bounty_(episode)

cwustudent and Taalcon like this.