main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (Marvel) #6: Skywalker Strikes, part 6 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by mattman8907, May 28, 2015.

1. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

I said this before but, we didn't see enough of Boba in the OT to know his personality actually. As we move onto the the second film and the clone wars when he was a kid he seems like this kind of person as he is in the issue--I thought he was badass in this issue and correct with the story.

2. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014

I think that is why some people dislike that moment in #6; they don't want Star Wars to be a soap opera or a sitcom. My own response is that the following issues will be more telling than one reveal panel.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd argue we get enough of Boba in the OT to get a handle on his behavior- or at least identify what behaviors are not an organic extrapolation.

And, again, TCW Boba is actually an argument against psycho Boba- where the treatment of prisoners, regrets over collateral damage and an adherence to his profession are all key elements of his depiction in the series.

"Compatible" but not suggested.

4. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Well, then again, those were the early Boba episodes in TCW. In the "Bounty" episode he has changed a ton, because that's his time after he was in prison on coruscant. He isn't that regretting kid anymore.

JoinTheSchwarz and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Perhaps, but on the basis of the various posts here, people don't really change that much over time either.

6. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Meh I guess you're right.

I mean, it's not like Anakin changed during the third film...

Oh...wait...

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Anakin isn't exactly stable from the get-go though, is he?

8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Lol, they don't want Star Wars to be a soap opera yet the whole main premise of the franchise thus far has been one big family soap in space.

I think people just have a bad habit of jumping to conclusions and posting comments before they have a chance to really sit down and think about stuff. I'm seeing it right now as well in TWD forums regarding the new show that will be starting up in a couple months. They are saying it is going to be a big teen soap opera because it has a few more kids in the main group than the original show did and it talks about their relationships with eachother. All the while forgetting that the original show started out with a premise of a man helps his best friends family escape when the apocalypse starts and him and his friends wife start a romance and once the friend comes back a big love triangle is started between the three.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  9. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

What do you mean? There isn't really anything that can defend "people don't change over time" because many characters have done it.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    People change over time but not to the degree that Fett's supposedly been depicted as here, jarring would be a fitting critique.

With a franchise like SW it's a balancing act, to keep the story going, new aspects have to be brought in. But those aspects also have to have a measure of consistency with what has already been established for a character, which is what I see Quest's posts as being about.

I'll have a better answer for you in about 3-4 months!

The2ndQuest likes this.
  11. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Are you sure you aren't just thinking of the Legends Boba? I haven't seen any of him in legends so I don't know how he was then---other than something about escaping the sarlac pit....But in the TCW which was his last appearance, he is much alike the Boba we see in this series and the fact that Boba only had SOME lines and trying to KILL Han immedately in the OT aswell as screaming "Blow up obi wan dad!" in the PT I think we can't judge him that much according to the films. Maybe abit violent in the films if we were to judge his child-appearance.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm going by what's been posted here Wolfe so I'd say Quest is likely a better dance partner on this!

Similarly, until I've read the trade - which ain't out yet - won't really be able to see what I make of it. Fett in Legends, however, in the OT era, was all over the place, so people tend to pick 'n' mix depictions!

13. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

I just don't get how people can already judge Boba's appearance in the OT, I know I can't because I hardly saw any of his personality.

I guess I can say this is how I feel, because we didn't see much of Fett's personality in the OT, but a violent personality of him in the PT, I'd say the story is correct.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, that I can help you on.

For a lot of us Fett in the OT is a Man With No Name character - laconic, mostly cold - though not totally uncaring - for instance, Fett was depicted as disapproving of rape and sexual assault in one story. Very much about getting his target quickly and efficiently. Characters of this type don't show much of their thinking, you can only judge them by their acts. Fett went along with carbon-freezing Solo and delivering him to Jabba to get paid. In contrast, The Man With No Name blows up the bridge in the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Fett in the OT is the case of 'less is more'. He's a minor character but he has some great scenes and excellent lines and nothing spoils those. He was not expected to be as popular as he ended up being and LFL always wanted to try and recapture that lightning in a bottle - see Aurra Sing / Darth Maul in TPM.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  15. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

"mostly cold"

Hey, like this issue! Why would anyone react that this is unlike Boba, because he currently doing this to get MONEY.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    As I say, you need other dance partners for this discussion! ;)

I'll see what I make of it in September.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    He is not depicted as being unnecessarily violent. Willing to kill, but not haphazardly and only upon those who are his target/mission.

In TCW we see him protest the killing and torture of captives as well as killing anyone besides Mace. After going along with the plans of others that involve such things, he regrets his actions.

We later see him stick to the job he was paid to do- in conflict with Ventress who acts emotionally. This doesn't mean he approves of (or actively encourages) the target's treatment, but that is irrelevant to the job.

In the OT we very much get a sense of how Fett acts/behaves. Failing that, we get a good sense of how he doesnt act:

-Do we ever see him brag/boast/refer to himself in the third person? No, he doesn't talk much- and the only person or ever says his name is Han, once.

-Do we ever see him go out of the way to challenge people to fight/inflict collateral damage on others (let alone seem to take pleasure in it)? No, he only ever targets Han (whom he was hired to nab) and Luke (who was threatening his employer). Keeping on mind, we're talking about a guy who carries a missile on his back and a flamethrower (which even the more-powerful Windu couldn't counter) on his wrist.

-Do we see him act calm, quiet, detached & collected? Yes. Do we see him act professionally? Yes (his only protests involve acts that may compromise his job & he sticks to what he hired to do- like he did in TCW).

AOTC, TCW & OT Fett are portrayed consistently (makes sense, since they were basing the former on the latter)- there is no change there, and nothing to suggest Boba is as he is portrayed in Star Warvel so far.

However, once again, it's not incompatible with OT Fett- but let's not pretend that was how the OT suggested he was like. We can add in psycho Fett, but recognize that it
    is a more jarring addition to the character that is not an organic extrapolation of the films.

And all that comes back around to the original question of why Fett would go after Luke in these issues like he did instead something more effective: a braggart who wants to inflict pain on people is more likely to up close and personal with a target than a more detached, collected individual.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

I don't think I will ever understand you or ben in this matter, to me this was no surprise of what Boba did. All I can say is we will stay in disagreement 100% for Boba's personality.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Really? Quest's post is pretty clear, you should be able to follow it even if you disagree.

20. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

What are you on about now? Can't I speak my opinion on how I feel about Boba, and you can? I've numerous times stated what I think, now quest has done the same, I won't understand you two. Simple as that. There is nothing more to say about that.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't want you to be quiet, I want to understand you better but I'd like to think that's a two-way street and you have an interest in understanding how I see SW too.

You're under no requirement to be quiet, or change your mind, on anything. If all you want to do is post an opinion and that's it fine, but that's not really discussing by any definition of the word.

22. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Well Ben, the thing is I kind of discussed it earlier in this thread, and the main reason I won't make a list like quest did as you obviously desire, is because I've made one in a previous Boba-discussion with quest. Either in this thread or another. If you require more, I'm afraid you ask too much from me :)

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If all the reply I'm going to get from you in response to posts is 'don't understand, don't get it' then what reason do I have to write those posts in response to questions you ask? Why should I bother showing any interest?

EDIT: Then again, it's easy for text discussion to go awry, maybe this is a case of that. Maybe what you meant was you followed the posts just fine but disagree? In which case, there's no problem.

(As, to disagree means you had to have understood them.)

24. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Don't.

I've said what I feel about Boba enough, if you have to know just search up my discussion somewhere, I don't see why I have to repeat myself.

25. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The thing is is that Boba Fett from the movies has been such a vague and undeveloped character that people have been able to turn him into who they wanted him to be. And that is why in my opinion these comics are not contradicting anything.