main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (Marvel) #6: Skywalker Strikes, part 6 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by mattman8907, May 28, 2015.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Am I the only one that doesn't care much about Fett? Not just in this comic but in general...
    [​IMG]

You know...just in case

jakobitis89 and cwustudent like this.
  2. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Fett?Screw Fett I want to see someone in Mauldalorian armour not his.Red is the new green. Vizla was cooler anyway.So was Bo-katan. And Jango. And Rook kast. Hell even Sabine has a bo-Katan style helmet which makes her cooler then fett. And none of these characters were stuffed in a box....Wait disregard all that.None of those people hung out with Cad Bane...

cwustudent likes this.
  3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Boba Fett is done to death. His character has been filled out and expanded far beyond any semblance of mystery that was his calling card in the early days. Even the EU barely touched him for 15+ years. And his appearance (and fight) with Luke is a bit ridiculous in the large scheme of things, in these last couple of issues.

Vader conversating with Jabba the Hutt? Interesting, but strange.

And then we have this whole thing with Chewbacca shooting at Vader...Vader confronting Luke early on. I really just don't know about the new Marvel series. Some of the dialogue is spot-on and really good, but the overall plotting seems made-up on the spot.

It's not bad, but it's not good. I've read hundreds of comic books more worthy of the name Star Wars. Kind of a pitiful launch for 2015 Marvel.

4. SparklingRoyalty

SparklingRoyalty Jedi Padawan star 1

May 1, 2015
    You are not alone. Boba Fett has never been a character worth caring about imo.

jakobitis89 and spicer like this.
  5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Fett has been mystified and glorified to no end by the fanbase, the EU writers, heck even George himself, because he saw how popular Fett has become. I challenge the assumption that Fett is such a great, ice-cold professional. He's a thug in the movies.

The one great thing he does is that he tracks Han down when he does the smuggler's trick of hiding under the belly of the Star Destroyer.

He doesn't do anything else that is impressive.

Vader singles him out and tells him "no disintegrations" when talking about the bounty - not a sign of trust and speaks volumes about Fett's bloodthirstyness that even gets Vader worried

Fett talks back to Vader about a reward that wasn't promised to him (bringing Han to Jabba), when the Imperials and Lando have done all the work for him on Cloud City.

And then ... ROTJ, yes, that. He's just one of Jabba's thugs now, enjoying the company of the slave girls and not better or worse than the rest of them, and he gets dispatched by a blind man.

6. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Very good points, Darth_Preva.

7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Fett being just one of Jabba's thugs is also supported by ANH, where we see him as one of the crew that is with Jabba when he talks to Han, and in Darth Vader #1, where Vader must talk to Jabba to obtain Fett's services.

DoubleSith and Darth_Pevra like this.
  8. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    Don't...talk about that scene in a new hope. Im suprised Pevra liked your post despite it containing "apologist drivel"

9. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I know this is probably more appropriate for an EU thread but to those who think this star wars series isn't that great or that the writings off be sure to read "apocalypse endor" and "a wookie scorned" then see what feels right.:p

I only mention this because I got the new republic epic collection today and just finished reading those last few stories....what where they thinking?!?!?!

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't like the scene, but it is still canon and I respect when logical arguments or good observations get made, like Positive Fan did. I like posts less which claim that Shaw doesn't look like Shaw.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Need to know which ones you're referring to.

12. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    Tell me one way in which they look alike(I will drop the issue if you do so).
    Eye colour?Ghost is blue and cant tell what colour it is from that.
    Chin?Vaders suit covers it.
    forehead?Nope one is bald and has fake scars while the other has uncle owen hair and no scars. However:I cannot find a single decent picture of Shaw as Anakin. I haven't seen the original version of the scene in several years. Maybe I am wrong. In all likelyhood I am wrong. But I cannot find anything that proves me wrong,because it seems to be impossible to find a none blurry version of Shaw.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Big fan of this issue, as always. Dig how mean Fett was but also that Luke is able to take him out blinded, like a graduation ceremony from his training remotes. The Sana Solo twist was solid and should make for some good comic book-ing. I read this before Darth Vader and I love the twist in the context between the ending scenes: The last few pages in Star Wars were uber-menacing when Vader found out who Luke was, all we hear is him say his name and the window starts to crack. Great shot, very powerful, befitting of the book's main antagonist. It works great as a solo piece in Star Wars - Vader knows and he done is angry! - and in Vader if flips the perspective giving it a tragic resonance. But that works in Vader's book and it works in a different context in the Star Wars book.

I'm gonna miss Cassaday, I always enjoyed his art in anything but Immonen is a really neat replacement. As for Cassaday, let it be said that he got 6 issues out on a pretty much monthly schedule! For him, that's incredible. I did notice the later issues weren't as intricately detailed as the first three issues, so hopefully he gets to do an annual and they give him as much time as he wants to finish it.

14. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    Haven't read the series yet but I almost hope Sana is fridged.I want Luke and Han to spend 3 years alone ,because any Woman that takes an interest in them dies within a week. Leia as it turns out "Always knew" That kissing luke wouldn't kill her and is terrified in ESB that she'll feel the need to jump in between Han and a blaster bolt , if Han goes near her.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

I agree- he's clearly portrayed as working for Jabba. He is a thug. I'm not suggesting Boba has to be some kind of moral person or an anti- hero. But, once again, there is a huge psychological gap between being a lethal bounty hunter enforcer for a criminal and one that goes out of his way to hurt and kill people beyond the scope of his job.

A bounty hunter bringing in a target dead (and having a reputation for doing so) is not an indication of bloodthirst, though. That's pretty often at least half of their job description. Being ruthless or efficient is not the same as being bloodthirsty.

I don't follow you here- not sure how this is relevant. Jabba's reward for Han was still outstanding- Boba could have easily nabbed Solo and split, but obviously screwing over a second contract (let alone one by Vader) is bad for business.

Plus the Imperials didn't really do anything except things Boba didn't want done to his merchandise (namely torturing and potentially killing Solo) in the first place.

Never said he has to be an ultimate badass (though obviously this comic tries to present that- up until the blind man part). However, to his credit , he was the only one that noticed something was up with Artoo and did go after the source of the threat to his employer (take down Luke and the others don't win)- even if he apparently wasn't willing to kill Jabba's other crew and just use his flamethrower.

Sure, he goes out like a punk and is a hired thug, but his actions until then never appear to violate that quiet, detached professional behavior.

I would still challenge the notion that the character was vague in the films (he was a character of few words but he wasn't a cameo, either [outside of ANH:SE ;) ])- and certainly not after TCW expanded on that.

And my comments are not a matter of who I want Boba to be- just that the films (and TCW) clearly give us enough material to judge what additions to the character feel natural and which do not.

It really comes down to this: ignore any post-Marvel attempts to rectify the films with the character like some people here have been doing and ask yourself, these:

1) When you watched the OT, did you get the impression Boba was a braggart that referred to himself in the 3rd person? If so, what made you think that? Because he's factually portrayed as a man of few words in them.

2) When you watched the OT, did the get the impression Boba was the type of villain who goes out of his way to provoke conflicts so that he has the opportunity to hurt people? If so, what made you think that? Because he mostly observes and stays out of the way of the action until he has to in them. (Add in AOTC and we actually see the Fetts running away and avoiding direct confrontation until necessary)

3) When you watched the OT or even TCW, did you get the impression that Fett personally tortured and killed captive civilians in his way? If so, what made you think that? Because everyone he ever attacked or intimidated in the OT (and later TCW) was job related (by contract or by protecting his employer) while early TCW showed him specifically protesting and regretting such actions.

Again, just because someone is a killer for a criminal doesn't mean they have a bloodthirst and are looking for an excuse to hurt or kill anybody they can. There's a very big difference there and the films/TCW simply do not suggest the latter at any time.

If NU Boba is to be more of a talkative maniac, that's all well and good- I'm fine with that. But I won't pretend that it is not a jarring reinterpretation of what is presented in canon. Boba basically becomes a joke in the films like DS9's Morn (who appears in most episodes, is constantly said to talk people's ears off, yet never utters a single word on the show)- "offscreen" (in the comics), Boba talks and tortures but we never see any hint of that onscreen.

And that's fine, but recognize what is.

Or wait til a different writer writes the character and we'll see if this portrayal is just an accidental blip in execution (...almost literally ;)) as opposed to being the new vision of the character moving forward. :)

16. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    2ndQuest you don't know that he wasn't doing those things in the OT. He is only in like three or four scenes in the entire trilogy and barely talks in any of them. He could be anybody you wanted him to be. The guy writing the comic seems to view him as a bit of a maniac so that is likely the direction they will go with him in this new canon. And you know if they ever make a movie about him they will likely have the same interpretation because those types of movies are fun to watch.

Commander Wolffe likes this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    You seem to be ignoring that it is also a valid interpretation to see this as a sign of distrust from Vader. Why does he have to tell Fett that he shouldn't start a bloodbath? Probably because he knows Fett has done this in the past.

And if Vader wants a target alive and has to remind Fett not to kill it, that's even worse.

He wanted to fulfil both jobs at once, mostly because he is greedy, because money was the reason he told Vader. I don't see any professionalism here. He's dancing on two marriages.

Maybe he was drunk from partying so hard with the Ladies.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I know- that's what I've been saying all along (like the Lando woman-beater example). He could be doing those things offscreen, but as far as the films go, you wouldn't be led to believe he was until something like these comics come along and make you go back and try to justify it. That still represents a shift in how the character is presented.

8-10, actually. Plus AOTC & several TCW episodes. He's not exactly a cameo. And the fact that he barely talks doesn't represent a lack of characterization- in fact, it's a rather important one when it comes to how the character's behavior/demeanor is presented.

That's a bit if an overstatement. There is room to interpret the character many ways (fewer if you eliminate unlikely ones) but he isn't that much of a cipher. This is Boba Fett, not Aurra Sing.

Well, seeing as how some people seem to be mistaking "maniac" for "badass", the interpretation of the character here may not have been fully intentional and reflective of the story group's plans for Boba's characterization; thus a course correction may occur next time- or it may just be a matter of who is writing him at the time (much like how people have had mixed reaction to Leia's personality/behavior in her series vs this series).

But, again, if we're getting maniac Fett, I'm fine with that too- it's just harder to reconcile with the guy in the movies.

A reputation for bringing in targets dead does not suggest a bloodbath. Ruthlessness, sure, but no one is thinking Vader means "don't kill other people" (bloodbath/bloodlust) instead of "don't kill the targets" (because clearly he has before).

He does the job for money. That's actually the definition of a professional. He's doing two jobs at once that happen to overlap (Vader wants the Falcon & crew as bait, Jabba just wants Han specifically- it's not two jobs over Han).

If Someone hires me to fix a piece of computer hardware and, in doing so I happen to end up with a spare component I can use to fix another client's computer, I'm not suddenly acting unprofessionally.

Well, we definitely know those particular ladies weren't added to- er, I mean, on board the sail barge... ;)

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Ruthless ... just like the guy in this comic issue?

And Vader does have reasons to tell him not to kill other people, because it could interfere with his own plans. Remember, he does want to use all of them as lure.

Not sure my employer would agree. We have the same problem here at work, the construction workers employed by us secretly began working at another construction site and the result was chaos.

I think they were all drunk, all of them. ;)

The2ndQuest likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    By ruthless I mean he's willing to kill to get the job done. That does not mean he'll carry that beyond the job (afterall, why would he? He 'a not getting paid to kill them).

Well, not every profession has an analogous level of freelance independence of bounty hunter or IT guy ;).

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, then we are agreeing, or are we not?

22. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    "A wookie Scorned": The story of Chewie getting jealous over how much time Han spends with Leia. Includes a cringeworthy scene of Han being late for dinner with Chewie waiting at the table wearing a dinner apron.

"Apocalypse Endor" A story about a stormtrooper veteran telling of the time he spent on endor with the ewoks. Apparently they were demons who beheaded stormtroopers leaving their heads hanging from branches. They banged drums in the middle of the night that drove the troopers to the point of insanity.

Therefore I say again WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!!?:p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I rather liked that one - especially the "sticking a flower into stormtrooper's blaster barrel" moment.

Plus the "Endor Holocaust never happened" explanation to the veteran - who looks rather upset afterward.

24. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Thought this was a lot of fun once again. Obviously Luke was going to get one over on Fett but it was still entertaining to witness. It'll be really interesting to see where Aaron goes with Sana. Looking forward to the Obi-Wan story in a few weeks.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  25. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Aaron said in an interview that there's going to be more than one Obi Wan flashback stories.

That's good news for people whose favourite star wars character of all time is Kenobi:D

BigAl6ft6 and cwustudent like this.