main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Star Wars meets Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthMateous, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    1) I think the plot for Episode VII will be similar to like Game of Thrones.
    2) There is one character that is the key to the whole story.

This may be a little long, but hear me out.

1) In Star Wars, Lucas has set up a universe where everything is cyclical.

The prequels start with a stable, democratic government and end with its collapse. However, it's just the beginning of the Empire. The roots that the Sith planted are just starting to take hold.

The original trilogy starts with the Senate being dissolved and the Empire fully developed and ends when the Empire is toppled. However, even though democracy has been restored to some extent, it is a tenuous at best.

If this trend continues, then at the beginning of Episode VII, the new government is becoming more stable, but is still vulnerable. So, the plot would revolve around something threatening THAT stability.

The prequels focused democracy being destroyed from within. Ep. VII could be the exact opposite. Whenever there is an unstable government, there are always opportunists trying to seize control for themselves.

So the plot could resemble Game of Thrones. There could be more than one faction trying to vie for control of the Galaxy. So it's possible that we'll see an attempted coup/takeover.

This leads me to point #2.

2) What character is the key to making this plot possible?

Leia.

If Leia is somehow now a leader of the new government. Then any faction attempting to gain power, would increase their odds by capturing her and holding her hostage.

It may seem redundant, but it makes perfect sense.

This would be a perfect trigger to involve all of the characters, young and old. It affects the story on a political and personal level. (And would make her kidnapping in Ep. IV a foreshadowing in the overall story-arc, bringing the story full circle.)

Only, this time EVERYTHING would be at stake. Now she's Luke's sister, Han's wife, a mother and the leader of a fragile democracy in its infancy.

If Leia is captured, then systems in the new government could conceivably abandon it out of fear in order to protect their own people and all of the opportunists would come out of the wood-works.

Thus, you would have a situation that would resemble Game of Thrones where everyone is either jockeying for control of the galaxy or trying to protect their own.

Thoughts?

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    No idea.

I hate Game of Thrones

Digressing, I think SW has seen enough of politics

3. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Love it! I think the galaxy would have slipped into chaos shortly after the events of ROTJ. It would take years for a New Republic to establish itself and get to anywhere like the Old Republic in terms of stability. We only have to look at the Middle East these days to see what happens when a dictator is overthrown - the following years are never pretty.

4. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I like your train of thought. I've said similar in other threads that there could be multiple factions all looking to gain power and control of the galaxy.

DarthMateous likes this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This raises the question of how the Old Republic came to be.

DarthMateous likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Great topic... I cannot wait to see where this discussion goes... IN HERE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.