main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Star Wars Merchandising is in trouble

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Kev Snowmane, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    I was not aware how bad this situation was... (warning, narrator gets a bit salty at times).

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    So, just did a quick check of this guy's channel, and here's what I found:

SJW Marvel is Firing the WRONG People

My Spider-Man Graphic Novels (Pre-SJW Marvel)

MASSIVE Drop for Spider-Man Homecoming! Are the Fans Turning on the Web-Head?

Sony’s Secret Plan to Kill the MCU - Disney should Cancel Han Solo

Disney Hates Alden Ehrenreich - More Han Solo Drama

He literally says, in that list video, that:

Yeah, I ain't gonna waste 30 minutes of my time on an Anti-Disney rant.

EDIT:

So, I decided to do a google search, and this was literally the first article that popped up:

Star Wars Force Is Strong for the Toy Industry

3. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Then why is it he was able to document ON VIDEO shelves crammed with merch and not selling? The vid was just put up and the taping done within the last week.

It isn't about his views, it's about the evidence he documents.

4. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    In statistics, it's called an outlier. It's abnormal, or mis-portrayed.

Uh, yeah. It's about his views. The more sensationalized it is, the happier his fans are, and the more the channel grows. I.E. More views = More Money. So he's incentivized to pander to his audience by portraying an unrealistic situation that lines up with his, and his fans, views.

Edit: Misread his views as the views. Fixed to better address the point.

BigAl6ft6 and Snafu55 like this.
  5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The stores I go to have aisles solely dedicated Star Wars toys. Sometimes they're fully stocked. Sometimes they're not. You know when they're most often completely cleaned out? Between November and December, probably because of a holiday secularly dedicated to gift giving or something. I've heard purchases of all sorts skyrocket during that time.

But here's the fun thing I noticed: If the shelves are full, people will say "No one is buying any of this!" If they're nearly empty, people will say "The stores are in small quantities because no one is buying it!" People like this guy, who runs a YouTube page solely dedicated to being a negative ass because his viewers get their kicks that way, will twist anything to fit their specific narrative. Look at his list of videos. "*** this!" and "**** that!" and "This sucks!" and "Can a woman carry a film??" and "Haha, stupid feminists!" and so on and so forth. Anyone like that, the kind of tool who uses "SJW" as a pejorative, is a PoS who doesn't deserve to have their opinions listened to. Given the recent state of affairs, we really shouldn't be giving people like that the time of day.

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Brand fatigue will set in eventually. Only question is when and to what degree. For toy sales we would definitely need more evidence than a few stores in one area. That said, I appreciated the merchandise tour in the above video, as I haven't been in a toy aisle in ages. Some of the prices (both full retail and bargain) were eye opening.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

People should read this about shelfwarmers and pegwarmers when it comes to toys.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Shelfwarmer

It's very enlightening.

8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014

=D=

PymParticles likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's not the same guy who made the video about "SJWs ruining Star Wars" is it? Definitely not someone who warrants my time or attention.

Anecdotal evidence being what it is, I have had a much easier time finding a variety of merchandise since Disney bought Star Wars. Action figures and games have always been there but now there is a greater variety of both, plus different kinds of toys (even a wider range in lightsaber styles), and costumes--I was only able to buy one or two during the entire pre-Disney era and I have bought a new costume almost every year since the Disney buyout.

There has been a lot of talk about Star Wars "fatigue" from getting a new film every year but on the merchandising side, a new film every year is a bonus. And Force Fridays get a lot of hype and customers. (I might tag a YJCC regular who works at Target for his perspective.)

10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    The only reason that it would be in trouble is the fact that they charge an arm and a leg for it. $8.00+ for one action figure? That's beyond ridiculous. Nobody can afford to buy much of it anymore.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Distribution is a main issue outside of the US. I'm in the UK and a lot of the figures just don't come to retail here in a physical store. Forbidden Planet gets more than the average TRU or Entertainer (latter is a UK toy chain) - however, it is also more expensive. For me to go there it means a train/Tube trip into London. You can get some figures online (eBay, Amazon UK Marketplace) but you can't use Amazon US for a lot of them due to licensing issues.

Dandelo likes this.
  12. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    You have to admit that those shelves contained an immense amount of complete tat, priced at absurdly high prices.

13. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    But...

That's not the point of the argument made here.

14. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Is it not part of his argument that Disney have over saturated the market with low quality star wars toys? And that people aren't stupid, that they want to buy good quality stuff for that asking price?
    I personally have no idea how the toys actually are selling. All I can know and say is that I wouldn't want to buy any of it (except for maybe those little die-cast helmets that he ironically didn't like. I think they would look good on my desk).

I know he is edging close to sexism and racism in some of his Rey and Finn comments. I have no idea if that is true and effecting sales of those toys, but I did see part of a TV programme the other day about young children and their views on gender, and the sexism and stereotypes they believed amazed me. Going by that, I could believe it, if it was found to be true that that is why so many Rey toys remain.

15. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    The majority of the toys will be sold during the "holiday season" when kids ask Santa for them.

The collectors are the minority.

It's normal to have shelves full during "off seasons".

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The low quality isn't entirely Lucasfilm's fault. Hasbro has been reducing costs in order to try and keep prices down, for all their products. There are too many people that want their share of the profits and as a result, Hasbro has been looking at cost cutting measures in order to keep prices somewhat reasonable. And as Mu pointed out, right now is an off season. There's no film out right now. "Rebels" is in its final season which won't start yet. Parents concentrate on spending money on back to school supplies. Some kids will get some toys in September and maybe October. But once the Christmas spending season begins, there will be a big old increase which will be aided by the film.