Star Wars Miniatures Gaming Group?

Discussion in 'Evansville, IN' started by Mike-El, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike-El Jedi Knight

star 3
    This would be for the character miniatures as well as the Starship Battles miniatures. I am sure that Jim (congrats on being a Grandpa Jim) wouldn't mind giving the club a discount on a case of Starship Battles to get things started especially if it gets a steady gaming group at Comic Quest.

The investment would be minimal if anything at all since I have a ton of the character miniatures.

Who would possibly be interested?
  2. HoosierTrooper Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I would like to learn over Christmas break. I've been looking at a lot on line, but don't have anyone to play with in B-Town.

You have the AT-AT and the other cool ones right?:cool:
  3. Edric-The-White Jedi Knight

star 2
    I just got my starter set with the Executor and the Mon Calimari Cruiser Viscount. They are so Wizard! I wanna get the whole fleet and then I can rule the world...the gaming world.

Edric
  4. Darth_TKD Jedi Master

star 3
    I have to say, the starship game intrigues me. I assume the rules are essentially the RPG rules just like the character miniatures? It would be great if we could get a gaming group together. We'll definitely discuss it at the GM.
  5. Agent_Sith Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am definitely interested in a starship battles gaming group :)
  6. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    Um.. You guys remember me right?

West End Games Star Wars minis, Wizards of the Coast Star Wars minis, Starship mimis, scratchbuilt minis, um..... Stratego?...Risk... That one game that was on the back of Crunch Berry cereal that you had to cut out lil captain crunch's and have him fight the soggies.. If it's miniature, I got it.

MTFBWY
    Jammies
  7. WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Master

star 4
    lol at Jammies! I remembered ya!!

I'm sure we all do. Just trying to see who else wants to do miniatures. :)
  8. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    Just making sure! :)

I'm in! And, allthough I am far away from the Maw that is the Tri State, I will be sucked back over the holidays. Assuming my health holds up (it's been a little rocky lately), I'm down for a game or twelve.

(Oh, this is going to be a long post)

WOTC mini battles is a lot of fun; seps vs. repubs being my favorite games. However, for a more detailed game I LOVE West End Games' Star Wars Miniatures Battles (SWMB)! SWMB is a squad based game, meaning instead of an individual mini turns and actions are undertaken by each squad. It is a much more "realistic" approach, and allows for much more flexability. You "build" each squad by equiping them as you can afford. Say you have a squad of stormies, well you can up arm them with better weapons, or increase their training levels. As this game is compatable with the old RPG system, anything you can think of from the WEG era (A New Hope through the Black Fleet Crisis) you can feild! Also, it is flexable; there are rules for everything, and if a rule is absent you can easily fudge something. For istance, the last game I played (and I don't get to play much) I had a lone rebel armed with a cryro-ban granade being hunted down by a squad of scout troopers. The rules state that I could throw the granade (one dice roll to see if I could throw it, one for the throw distance, and one more for throw angle). That's a lot of throws for one hail mary. Instead, my brave little miniature made one moral roll (passed!) to charge the Imps, yelled "for alderaaaaan!" and primed the granade and held it; blowing himself and half the imp squad away.
    A good primer is here: http://www.jakestabletop.com/swmb/swmbgame.html
    In addition to rank and file guys, you can feild heros too! Heros are basicly one man squads, and all of their attributes carry over to the minis game. Unlike WOTC game, where heros have special abilities you can use like a chess game, heors just have what they had in the movies, comics, or books. Chewie is a champ with a bow caster, Lando is just plain lucky, and Vader can choke you from across the table, or hurl trees on top of you.
    You can feild any vehicle you want too! But, I haven't figured out those rules yet.

Don't get me wrong, I love WOTC game too! But Weg's SWMB has one thing that I truely love, you build it all! You paint the minis, build the terrain, and construct the vehicles. The end result "for those with talent, I guess" is breathtaking with a cool factor of nat 20!

As this game has been out of print for a decade now, I think it is okay to say that if anyone wants a copy of the rule books, just pm me. I got em.

WOTC Space Battles on the other hand is a big disapointment. The minis are not as well put to gether as the old micromachines (why!? You are the same flipping company!), and the rules are way to simple with each game lasting just a few turns.

Me? I plan on construcing a large 1/10000 scale fleet from this guy: http://hometown.aol.com/odysseyslipways/page4.html

Ground Zero Games has a genaric and FREE space combat rules set: http://www.gtns.co.uk/store1/commerce.cgi?page=downloads.html&cart_id=4546216.22442
    I bet with some tweeking, we can make a Star Wars game that would last more than 23 minutes.

How cool would it be to combine some rules and get a space and land game going? Where the results of one game effects the other? Or, like Mike said the other day, a bording action where Lando's Commandos can capture a star destroyer and then use it in the space game.

Whew! That was long. I guess you all know my passion though huh?
    Any further questions, just pm me or email me at matthew.t.springer AT gmail DOT com

MTFBWY
    superglue boy
  9. Edric-The-White Jedi Knight

star 2
    Okay, this is important.

Now, I was trying to impress a chick by asking her if she wanted to see my Mon Calamari Cruiser Viscount. She laughed hsyterically and went on her merry way.

Was it because I pronounced it wrong? Is is pronounced Viscount or Viscount? Which is it so I don't makethe same mistake and loose out on a date with a hot chick.

Peace,
    Edric
  10. HoosierTrooper Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I would go with Viscount. ;) If that doesn't work, grab the nearest lobster and say... anyone... anyone got an answer?
  11. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    Ulkesh PM'd me with a modding question, but I am not sure it went through. So, I will put it here. Ignore the typos:

Ulkesh!

I've given this a lot of thought beleive it or not. After all, you are my friend and I want to to keep all 10 fingers :)

I will be more than happy to help you out with this project old friend, but right now I can only give you tips. Untill my back gets better, I am unable to model (Which sux) and when I am able I got my fleets to do!

There are several ways to go about this without leaving you with a peice of crappy plastic with a part of a wing glued on it.

I'd practice your skills on a paper model. I mentioned this to you about a year ago, but you can modify paper models super easy. Just print them out of gray cardstock (heavy, but not so heavy to jam up your printer: or just let Office Depot do it). An interdictor is at this site I found for you:
    http://www.ericksmodels.com/paper/models/models.html#somtaaw

okay.... welll, there are 2 ways to do what you want to do: easy and hard. I'll start with easy.

Take sand paper (the black kind that you wet first) and carefully sand down the bumps on the interdictor.

If i remember your drawings, you want to elongate the conning tower. This will require seperating the conning tower from it's support thingy and replacing it with a lambda wing (correct?). You will need a jewlers saw. Don't use an exacto or a cheep tool Jon! You will lose your fingers!

You can get tools and supplies at HobbyTown by the kroger at the end of Green River Road or go to ABC hobbys across the street from Comic Quest.

Now, carefully take the saw and make one pass, then another , then another. Don't just go back and forth like your sawing wood.

Now, you got two parts. Sand both parts down so it doesn't look like you just cutt into an interdictor with a saw.

You can cut up a Lambda, or, and I suggest this, go to the cheep airplane kit section of the hobby shop and buy a small scale moden fighter kit (1/300 scale or so, they are like 4 bucks), the smaller the better. In this kit will be a little stabalizer wing (like in a tomcat or a hornet. I think this would work better then the lamda wing and will be more detailed. If you want a thicker beam, sand then glue two matching stabalizers.

So, look at your interdictor, then look at the stabalizer. Visualize what you want to do. To shape the stabalizer so it will fit, I recomend sanding it down instead of cutting it with a saw. You can buy sanding sticks, and that will let you do some advanced shaping.

Now, you should have a smooth bridge, a smooth interdicort with no bumps, and a triagnle thingy that used to be a stabalizer that is now shapped to fit to connect the bridge to the ship.

Now, lets talk about glue. Do not use airplane glue. Do not use elmers. Use Zap a Gap CA glue, thick. Trust me. And buy the smallest tube becouse you will only need a little bit.

Double check that all your parts fit. Then put some glue down on the hull, let it set up for a few seconds, then place the stablizer down: hold in place. YOU SHOULD DO this holding the kit upsidedown so the glue fills in the gaps, not run down the hull! Repeat for the bridge,. The thickness of the glue will fill in the gaps.

This is the easy way, and the hard way. I really don't know a bettter way to do this. I DO have two ways to paint it up.

EASY WAY:

Go to wally world, and find a gray or white spary can of KRYLON FUSION. Spray in light coasts outside, or if it is too cold and ONLY is you live alone in an apartment over the stove with the fan thingy on (Unless you have a gas stove, then just do it outside. DO NOT SPRAY ONTOP OF A GAS STOVE! YOU WILL DIE.)

Once drey, take craft paint (black if you used grey spray, or grey if you used white spray). water it down. use a brush and brush the watered down paint on the masterpeice. then whipe up the excess with a paper town. The watered down paint will fill in the detail and make it pop out!

HARD WAY. (how I would do it)

See the spots where you had to sand do
  12. navarre1095 Force Ghost

star 4
    In the SCA we would say VEEcount or VIEcount.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.