main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Miniatures: Official Discussion (Wish lists, team builds, general discussion)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by MercenaryAce, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Why? He won't effect your play style with Vong much. If anything, it'll be even better to play them now than before. Personally, I can't wait to pair him with Loda.

2. Zedd

Zedd Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 20, 2007
    I don't play Vong. That's YuuzhanVong_Rule that you're thinking of. I am all about the Empire. Rebels have been the greatest faction since A&E, and this CE makes them just sickeningly good. I think they did it in order to even out the gap between melee and ranged, but it's still a ridiculous CE. There will not be a single non-Rebel squad that will get anywhere close to being near the top at GenCon.

I am relatively pleased about the new Palpatine. Emplacement is a HUGE drawback, but he is now the greatest force battery in the game.

3. YuuzhanVong_Rule

YuuzhanVong_Rule Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2008

Although Rieeken doesn't change the playing style of the YV, I also hate him because the YV need CEs like that more than the Rebels. He does make the Rebels the best Faction.

4. Mandalore666

Mandalore666 Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2009
    Su' cuy i'm new and what you guys are talking about Rieeken is true the rebs don't need CEs like that and neither do the Vongese..... that CE should go to the mando' ade. if you disagree thats fine but the vong are HUT' UUN and deserve nothing!!!! How many times have any of you been blown up by a Nom bomb squad???? On an entirely other note the new lobot will be amazing.

5. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    There are so many counters to Nom squads today it's not funny. The Vong deserve a lot more than they have. They've been ignored for far too long.

Also please stick to english in here :)

6. Mandalore666

Mar 7, 2009
    Well what about mandos sure they have alot of CEs but mst of them are way over cost for the minis they are on. if you run either Mandalore you realy can't have much other figures in the squad.

7. YuuzhanVong_Rule

Jan 31, 2008

You can run a squad of all non-unique mandos (like a captain and scouts) and do really well, you don't need the Mandalores.

8. Mandalore666

Mar 7, 2009
    Okay some of the non-unique CEs are good but still the real power houses need Mandalore the indomitable to be effective. but why do the vong need CEs like the generals when they dont realy have ranged attacks. with some of the vong it is just insane the jedi hunter and shaper are rediculus. general Reikens CE would be wasted on the vong. if any of the factions need it over all it would be (and it pains me to say this) the shabla New Republic they need some decent CEs.

9. YuuzhanVong_Rule

Jan 31, 2008

The Yuuzhan Vong could use a Reikeen like CE to help them survive running up to good shooters, while Mandos can mobile, twin, and +4 attack all with non-uniques more than the YV, scouts or a twining Canderous can take almost anything out, Mandos probaly have the best non-uniques in the game.You don't need any Uniques at all to totally own with Mandos.

The New Republic could use it but Dodanna, who is one of the best commanders in the game.With Mara, Kyle, Han, or the New Luke GM NR can do horrible things.

10. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    What game are you playing??? Since the release of KotOR, there has been 1 CE that's been in pretty much every NR squad, General Wedge Antilles. And you might want to compare him to General Rieekan and see that the NR ALREADY HAS his CE.

Would the Yuuzhan Vong benefit from Rieekan CE? Doubtfully. I can see them gaining Evade, and maybe mobile Thud Bugs, but for the most part, no, they wouldn't gain much from him. Ironically, the piece that helps them out the most in this set is the Mouse Droid, which was used quite effectively AGAINST them in the books. The biggest problem with the YV previously was that their commanders all had to be within 6 (except for Nom). Now, the commanders can hang farther back and let the droids do their commanding.

I guess you're not very good at playing Klingons then. I've seen some pretty effective Klingon squads without either of the 70+ point pieces in the squad. I've seen some pretty "power house" squads made out of only non-uniques and maybe Ordo. That's what make them effective, and many say Tier 1.
    Oh, and the Mod did mention not speaking Klingon in here. Since you're new, I'll let ya know that you might want to listen to her.

11. YuuzhanVong_Rule

Jan 31, 2008

I forgot Wedge, but evade would help the YV warriors actually do something useful and it is funny that the mouse droid, along with Lobot and Jolee(warriors have a +5, yay!!!), help them out a lot.

12. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Um, he's speaking Mandalorian. A Star Wars language...

And I think there's a reason you won't see many YV, well, anything. Lucas Licensing pretty well wants to pretend they don't exist, because they didn't prove all the popular. Aside from re-forming and strengthening the Jedi Order, the YV invasion really only served to retro-actively set up the events of Legacy, which along with the big Clone Wars era push (movie and series) are really the only things the folks at LL are really concentrating on incase you haven't noticed.

So I would only expect to see Clone Wars, Legacy and the occasional KotOR era stuff out, for mini's and everything else.

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    He knows. There's a big long story as to why Hothie called the language Klingon, which we won't get into here.

Even though the Clone Wars and Legacy are what LFL are concentrating on now it doesn't change the fact that some people really like the Vong era. LFL must not hate it that bad seeing as there's a new comic series from that era starting up in the near future.

14. YuuzhanVong_Rule

Jan 31, 2008

Although they aren't that popular somehow they are getting action figures(a warrior and Nom).

In minis they aer getting better from what other factions get, Jedi Hunters can own GMLS and can do a lot of fun things with fringe.

15. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    Well, I'm just starting to get into the game. Here's my first attempt at a 150 point squad.

Captain Rex
    ISP Speeder (aka, Rex lite)
    Echani Handmaiden
    Padme, Senator
    Star Corps Trooper
    Kel Dor Bounty Hunter.

I have a pretty limited selection of figures, but I figured this is at least a start.

16. Zedd

Zedd Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 20, 2007
    I do like the combo of Rex and the ISP. However, Padme's Commander Effect is useless in this squad, because it only works on unique followers. Rex is a commander, not a follower. I don't know what other figures you have access to, but it shouldn't be too hard to find 23 more points. You could do another Echani Handmaiden.

17. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    Thanks. I posted this squad on the official forum at the same time and they pointed out the same thing. They also suggested dropping the ISP because of its size causing problems on 150 pt maps.

Here's the updated squad:

Captain Rex - 33
    Barriss Offee, Jedi Knight - 30
    Star Corps Trooper -15
    Echani Handmaiden - 23
    Jarael - 23
    Kel Dor Bounty Hunter x2 - 26

18. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    One thing, Starcor Troopers are most useful when you have at least 4 of them. They get their extra +10 (IIRC) if there are three other ST within 6. Other option could be to bring the new Gree so that doesn't matter as much. I'd agree about the ISP and Padme as well.

19. YuuzhanVong_Rule

Jan 31, 2008
    Today is Hunt-the-GOWK Day in Scotland.

20. YuuzhanVong_Rule

Jan 31, 2008
    Did anyone see the 41rst mini in IE?

21. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    Yeah, it's the card printed up by wotc for the Elite At-AT driver, which is the 181st Pilot with the wrong paint job. You can find it on wotc's site.

22. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I think that's going to be more trouble than it's worth honestly. But the stats are pretty interesting.

23. YuuzhanVong_Rule

Jan 31, 2008
    Crack Gunner is a fun ability and helps against Reeikan and Wedge.

24. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    It helps, but it's kinda hard to pull off. Their guys are going to mobile attack in and out, making it quite hard to set up a Crack Gunner move. Only for the more open maps, I think.

If you're referring to 'which mini will get used in tournaments' then I understand completely. I'm taking comfort in the fact that the minis are so different it would be impossible to play both succesfully in the one squad.

25. YuuzhanVong_Rule

Jan 31, 2008
    Crack gunner might be better now with the new Soresu errata.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.