main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Richmond,VA Star Wars Miniatures Players

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Markedman247, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markedman247

Markedman247 Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2008
    I am new and trying to see if there is interest in tournaments, games, etc. I am authorized to run games just need information. And I know of some collectors but I used to be one as well until I gave into the urges to play. Granted, I also enjoyed playing Battlefront on the x-box so that helped me want to play. I enjoyed moving the "mooks" around along with the Uniques.

So, let me know if there is any interest. I did see that there was a tournament set up in Virginia Beach at Galacticon the same weekend I will be fully within the the confines of Midlothian. I may not have time to go but am interested if I can fit my stuff into the minivan I borrowed.

2. ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 12, 2006
    I know Kevin plays (He's near Midlothian). http://boards.theforce.net/richmond_va/b10421/28012164/p1/?3

I haven't seen him on in a while.

I've actually never played nor seen any play the miniatures game...I think it would cool to watch.

3. Markedman247

Mar 17, 2008
    Well if you are interested in playing, let me know. I use "Peasant Format" to teach the game. In other words, Stormtroopers vs Rebels or Clones vs Droids without the messy Uniques that may cause confusion with rules. Then, I expand from there. I may be without email for about a week due to the move and such. I am hoping I can squeeze in my comp, my tv and game consoles, and a few pieces of furniture but I doubt I can fit in my entire collection as it fills up a trunk and backseat of a mid-size sedan.

4. Thumpy

Thumpy Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    If you want to join us down here in South Hampton Roads, we're having a Star Wars Minis Tourney in Norfolk at Mike Shipp's Bike Shop, 2nd floor on Sat. April 5th. Mike is a Wizards of the Coast minis dealer. It's buy a box and play with what you buy. He'll be selling stuff from the latest sets. Tony Pena, (VP of HRR) is authorized to run games, and Pat Quevedo (President) is pursuing certification. Bunch of others from our FanForce will be there.

If you want more details, I can shoot you Mike's email.

5. Markedman247

Mar 17, 2008
    Tempting as it might be, my Saturdays are going to be in flux at the moment. I am supposed to alternate Saturdays since I get off at about 330pm. But, I won't know until the new job starts. I want to splurge on cases of the new set. The information is getting even more mouth watering.

6. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
  7. Markedman247

Mar 17, 2008
    Thanks for the link but I am currently (albeit in limited fashion) in the GVL there.

8. TGaines1

TGaines1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 2, 2007
    I'm not a player, dont have much time for it to be honest but I do like to collect the miniatures, ships, vehicles, etc. Where's Kevin? Hey man, I still got your rule book!!! Post next meeting you come to and I'll bring it!

9. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    GVL???? What does that stand for?

10. Markedman247

Mar 17, 2008
    Its for players of Star Wars Miniatures on the Vassal simulation program. Its a way of playing with unconventional pieces (no override with R2-astromech or Lobot or no Disintigration with Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter). It just ended. Sadly, I only played a few games due to my pending move.

Its essentially Gamer's Vassal League.

Vassal may be found on Vassalengine.org. Its a Java based game that has numerous modules for people to play different games anywhere from historical battles (Spanish-American War) to Fantasy (Warhammer 40k or Star Wars).

11. Thumpy

May 3, 2005
    We don't do the vassal sim program down here. A newbie just has to learn through trial-by-fire. We usually start at 200 points. We play capture the flag. It's pretty laid-back the way we play. Sometimes, we may throw a mini or two at Mike for being too serious.[face_beatup]

12. Markedman247

Mar 17, 2008
    Or throw a mini at someone for rolling a nat 20 with Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter and then lavish scorn upon them until they are shunned from all human contact? Or is that just a North Carolina thing? :)

As for the vassal, its a good way to learn the game without spending money and to have pieces you can't afford or don't have in order to play. Granted, I have seen some majorly bad games on that program in which the die favored one person vs another. Then again, I had a game go one way like that and then go the other way in RL

13. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Ah, gotcha. I just noticed your posts on the gamers site today.

Up here, we're pretty competitive. We have about 5 of the top ten DCI rated players in Virginia playing (I'm #10). :)

I know what you mean about Boba. Just last weekend both my Boba-BH and Zam got Disintigrated. As you could guess, I lost that game and went 2-1 for 2nd place.

14. Markedman247

Mar 17, 2008
    Well, I am still learning the patience part of the game. I had a game with Exar and I knew I could win but never had enough patience to pick the right moment. I went 1-2 (only win was against another Exar Squad and mine had the Muun Tactics Broker) because I either went too early or too late to keep him alive. And I was amazed that there were no Yoda of Dagobahs to toy with me.

As for the tournaments, if I can find some people in Midlothian or surrounding area making the journey, I would be willing the carpool but I need to know each of the tournaments conditions to pack enough stuff without hauling the entire Star Wars universe of miniatures and then some. :)

15. Thumpy

May 3, 2005
    Azuren_Zyblade (Mike Shipp) has just posted this on HRR's forum (feel free to PM him or Qevdar (Patrick Quevedo) for game rules.

(Usually down here, we share our minis with others in case people can't afford to buy 'em. But this tourney is set up for buy & build.)

---------------------------------
    O.K. what we have been waiting for.

Q has set up a Minis tournament.

Date: April 6th
    Time: 2:00pm
    Day: Sunday

We are going to play sealed deck style.
    That means you buy a few boxes, open them and what you get inside is what you build your deck from.

The new Legacy of the force will be out and we will be using them for the tournament.

I need a head count at least from our group to have an idea of how much stuff to buy.

This is a great way for first timers to learn to play and try the game, since you do NOT have to have your own figures to play.

Please post intentions on coming.

=)

16. Markedman247

Mar 17, 2008
    Having Sunday as your day of tournaments is definately a plus for me. Its the only day I am guaranteed off. Still the distance is disconcerting. That being said, I got an update on my movers. In order to save the company gas money, they are going to attempt to deliver on Saturday at the expense of overtime. They are on the way to MD anyway. It would be a waste to deliver after driving back.

17. Markedman247

Mar 17, 2008
    Finally moved into my apartment. Took 4 days to get my internet and cable set up. So, I can now get things rolling for SWM and other things.

18. ItsThatGuy

Oct 12, 2006
    Glad to hear it, which apartments? If you want someone to show you around (there's not much). Just ask.

19. Markedman247

Mar 17, 2008
    I appreciate the offer. Once I get a handle on my schedule, I might take you up on that offer.

20. Markedman247

Mar 17, 2008
    Well, the new set "Legacy of the Force" just hit the stores. If anyone is interested in learning the game and playing some new pieces, just let me know.

21. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    In case anyone is interested...there's a sealed booster tourney at Character Vaults in Fredericksburg at 7PM Saturday night. 1st place is a case! Check here for directions:

http://www.charactervaults.com/

22. Markedman247

Mar 17, 2008
    I'm interested however one thing has become completely obvious. I am going to be working 6 days a week. On a good Saturday, I may get off about 1:30pm. On bad one, 330pm or later. Although this doesn't preclude not playing, considering the distance.

23. Markedman247

Mar 17, 2008
    Well, to those interested in Star Wars Miniatures either just to trade for pieces or learn the game, I will be playing over at Richmond Comix at 3pm as a test drive to see if its a suitable gaming place.

That being said, if you are also an RPG'er, let me know. I am itching to roll them bones again.

24. ItsThatGuy

Oct 12, 2006
    3pm today?

This place?

www.richmondcomix.com

8523 Midlothian Tpke
    Richmond, VA 23235
    (804) 594-2845

25. Markedman247

Mar 17, 2008
    Erp... My schedule has been wonky. I typed 3pm and forgot to mention Saturday as the day. I got my Fridays and Saturdays mixed up. When you work 10 hours a day and 7 days a week. Things run together. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.