main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gd Rapids, MI Star Wars Miniatures

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Nuclear_Holocat, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuclear_Holocat

Nuclear_Holocat Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2002
    Howdy,

Next Friday, September 3rd, the new Star Wars Miniatures game comes out from Wizards of the Coast. Is anyone else really interested in this? I can't wait. For more info, check this out:

http://swminisinfoworld.com/index.htm

I'm going to see which stores around Grand Rapids are having any special events for the premiere and see if they could put our name on the sponsorship as Fanforce.net Grand Rapids Chapter or something to that effect.

It should be a pretty cool game. I'm planning on buying a couple starter sets and at least a case of boosters. Its the closest thing to a Wargame that we'll ever get for Star Wars, not counting the West End miniatures rules and the other west end games such as Star Warriors and Battle for Endor.

2. Jaareth

Jaareth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2004
    i myself am hoping for a qui-gon figure..so i can mod it to my jaareth character. We play the star wars rpg and will use them in that.

If you interested im planning on gettin together with my friends..and anyone else that wants to join for some star wars rpg. Shoot me PM if ya are :)

3. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Okay, so I just now figured out what SW Miniatures meant. (No laughing) :p Are the characters used as models to set up in certain positions just because, is there a set of game instructions that comes with them, or are they collectibles only?

4. Nuclear_Holocat

Feb 25, 2002
    Star Wars Miniatures is a new game coming out from Wizards of the Coast. It looks to be pretty cool. It will be a collectible semi-wargame. It will be sold in a starter pack of 10 with rules and a playing mat or a booster pack of 7 random miniatures, basically to maximize their profit instead of just selling them outright :) This worked with HeroClix from Wizkids. Anyhow, the rules shouldnt be fairly simple and it will make a good introductory game. Think of Chess, but you get to move multiple pieces each turn and you roll dice to see whether you can capture a piece rather than it automatically happening. Here's a good introduction to wargaming:

http://www.wargamesdirectory.com/html/articles/Various/introduction.asp

A Light Introduction to Wargaming
    So what's it all about?
    What makes grown men revert to teenage boys whenever they see a green table covered with model houses, lychen and loads of metal soldiers? What drives them to stay up late with lots of scrap bits of wood, metal and anything else they can get their hands on, cutting, sticking, painting, filing, varnishing and other similarly torturous methods of creating the perfect imitation of some period of warfare in history? Why is it that the only time they are willing to be seen carrying a toolbox is when it is crammed full of metal figures? Wargaming. What else!

Whether it be on a table in the spare room, in-front of a computer in the lounge or with a collection of tables in a village hall, the recreation of warfare in all its various forms is the goal of wargaming. It seems to be an innate drive in most males to challenge other males to some sort of competition. Wargaming is one way of channelling this and it is such good fun!

Essentially, the wargamer is intelligent, creative, resourceful, able to deal with threatening situations and given to taking chances at every given opportunity... Shame this isn't in real life, but what the hell, life is what you make it! He is intelligent when writing rules, creative when making buildings, resourceful when commanding an understrength army against overwhelming odds, able to cope with attacks from three different angles whilst at the same time suffering an intense artillery barrage coming in from an unseen enemy, whilst mounting a three-pronged assault on a range of hills impassable to the average goat, and he rolls multi-sided dice like there's no tomorrow!

But this is the hobby that we all know and love so well.

I'm new to all this and don't know where to start
    OK. So you haven't got a clue where to begin? What do you play? What do you need? Where on earth do you start? It's up to you really, but I'll give you a brief run down of what it'll take to begin your new hobby.

1. Decide what type of gaming to play

Do you want the realism of a tabletop game, with scenery, models and figures? Or do you want to play on that new PC you took a mortgage out on recently? Or maybe you want to play boardgames? The choice certainly depends on your circumstances, but again it's really down to personal choice.

PC gamers should go to their nearest computer store and pick up several strategy wargames and a couple of real-time combat sims and blob-out infront of the PC for the next few weeks, then maybe pick up the rule books and learn how to play the games properly! Boardgamers should do similar, but are advised not to sit infront of their PC as their opponent will take advantage of this and move pieces in secret. This is a guaranteed mistake and you are not advised to carry this out. But it's good to encourage your opponent to do so, if you can... So that leaves us with tabletop gaming, which is what the rest of this list will cover.

2. Decide what period to play

Stick to one period for the time being as you'll need loads of figures, buildings, scenery, a table, paints, rules and so on (unless you're rich, have a lot of time on your hands or you're feeling adventurous).

So you can choose historical, science-fiction or fantasy. These are then broken down further - historical can be any period of warfar

5. Nuclear_Holocat

Feb 25, 2002
    By the way, here is a link to the list of games that I own. I'm mostly interested in Cold War era hex and counter games.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewcollection.php3?username=Nuclear_HoloCAT&own=1&startletter=ALL

6. Jaareth

Feb 23, 2004
    to sum it up short bultar....the minitures are used to represent your character in a roleplaying game...the postion you at..in relation to others. This remains true for wargaming..but there is less paperwork and more die rolling as the figures are given stats on a card before hand.

Many players(myself included)customize thier own figures...like the one on my site...to represent thier "persona" they play in the game more accuratlely.

In my star wars game..we use the actual action figures. though for travel this makes it difficult...and i dont have a lot of bad guys lol.

So if you and crespin want to play in my rpg...and you find a figure in the toy series y oud like customed to represent your character once created...im game at making it :)

7. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Oooh, like another war game I've played. UBER cool! :D :D

8. Nuclear_Holocat

Feb 25, 2002
    I didnt know you liked wargames BultarSwan? Crazy stuff. What other ones have you played?

9. Nuclear_Holocat

Feb 25, 2002
    Oh yeah, I just paid for a case of booster packs today and I'll hopefully pick them up on friday along with a starter or two. I know what I'll be doing for my labor day :)

I got a good deal at Goldmine Comics; 1 case for $120. A lot cheaper than Rider's. I will be buying the starter at Riders cause they gave me a free poster :) LOL. Anyhow, the guy I bought my case from gave me 2 free promo minis and they are really great looking and much better than I expected. I think they are more detailed than the west end miniatures that used to be out.

10. Jaareth

Feb 23, 2004
    say...if you get an extra qui-gon...or something similar to my action figure on my website...might i get him off ya?

11. Nuclear_Holocat

Feb 25, 2002
    The first set is called Rebel Storm and it will only have original trilogy characters. There is an Obi-Wan Kenobi though. Check out the entire list with pictures at this site:

http://swminisinfoworld.com/index.htm

There should be info on the second set which will be based on Attack of the Clones in November.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.