main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jedi_Saber101

Jedi_Saber101 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2011
    Yes, I know there was a similar thread made almost a decade ago, but it's a locked topic, so I wanted to make another one.

What were the misconceptions you had of Star Wars as a child?

-When I was... three-seven years old, I thought Darth Vader was Dark Lader. Then my dad told me otherwise.

-"Millions of oysters crying out"

-Lifesaver.

-Oola being transformed into Jabba food.

-etc.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi, :D :D

It wasn't so much a misconception as it was a huh? o_O :p

Why they had little nuances of an L/L chemistry even though nothing took off, when H/L were slated to be together... I know that eventually Luke and Leia understood their instant sense of connectedness to be a sibling-type thing, and it was used to spark Han's ;) jealousy LOL

And the no-attachment thing in general has always struck me as - wacked. :rolleyes:

Hugs!!!!

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    "Lock as falls in attack position"

I had never heard of an s-foil.

If I think of any more I'll come back. I might have to watch the trilogy to see if anything comes back to me.

Moriarte, LukeLives, Scott109 and 2 others like this.
  4. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I didn't realize TIE was an acronym.

.... I just assumed they were Thai fighters.

5. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    1. Lifesavers

2. I thought that Luke actually fought the real Vader in the Dagobah cave, but then Vader used the Force to revive himself. But I didn't understand why Luke's face was in the helmet. It was too much for my five year old brain to handle.

3. "Luck as falls" in attack position.

4. Stormtroopers were robots.

5. "A gentleman wastes a lot to travel lightly."

6. Dark Vader

I'm sure I'll add more later when I remember them.

6. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I thought Luke threw his lightsaber inside the AT-AT, not a grenade. I thought "did it turn itself on and he used the Force to kill everyone inside"? Kids...

7. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

I LOL'd at that one. Never heard it before. [face_laugh]

Ewok Poet and Binder-lover like this.
  8. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    My biggest is probably in ANH, as a small child I thought Leia was captured not because of political reasons, but simply because she was a girl. This came from when Obi-Wan is watching the Storm Troopers on guard, I always heard their conversation as:

You know what's going on?

Maybe its another girl.

It was a long time before I could get my ears to hear the word "drill" there, even after I knew what was going on.

9. Jedi_Saber101

Jedi_Saber101 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2011
    Oh yeah! I remember when I was a wee little thing, I thought it was his lightsaber too. But then I saw later he had it back, and I was like; "What the..." Kids, are right.

10. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    I thought "lightsaber" was "lightsaver". Also, when I first saw ANH, I expected Obi-Wan to kill Vader.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  11. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I also thought Luke chucked his lightsaber into the AT-AT and it somehow blew up and then came back to Luke... ?

Another thing I just thought of: I thought Luke actually understood Artoo's "language".

12. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    - Hitting someone with a lightsaber causes them to vaporise/disappear.

- The space battles were filmed using actual NASA spacecraft just outside Earth orbit.

- Mark Hamill really did have his hand cut off for the making of ESB & really did have it replaced with a mechanical one.

- There was a cheap & nasty Star Wars story shot on video in someone's house that looked like a sitcom, which involved a child of some sort who had a toy X-Wing & a toy bantha. The real Star Wars characters seemed bored out of their brains every time they appeared.

And then I found out that the last one was real...

Ewok Poet, Scott109, mcgo and 6 others like this.
  13. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    I seriously swore up and down that Boba Fett survived the sarlaac, in-film. I don't know how i thought this, maybe i dreamed it or something. But i remember seeing a cheesy "hand pops up out of Sarlaac" then screenwipe. And then i watched it again, and that scene didn't exist. And then i discovered the EU, where i learned i was only half wrong. Still, i really thought it was in the movie.

What else...like every other kid i thought Stormtroopers were robots, but for a very short time.

Like a previous poster i also thought Luke could completely understand R2.

This is a bit different, but i had imagined Anakin being a pilot foremost, and a Jedi second. I didn't really realize that the Jedi of the republic were all warrior monk-types, more just force users on the side of good. So the image in my head of him (and it still is there in the back of my mind) was of a man in basically a yellow version of the rebel flight-suit and helmet with a Lightsaber.

I know there's more, but i can't think of them right now.

14. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Pretty sure that's something you saw in a slasher movie. I can picture the hand coming out of the sand/dirt/whatever, just can't remember which film it's from. It's probably been done a few times anyway.

15. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Before seeing ROTJ, I thought Jabba was some sort of forest-man and lived in the forest, as "Jabba the Hutt" was translated by "Jabba the forest man (Jabba le forestier)" (?) in the French version of ESB I had seen so far....

Lt. Hija likes this.
  16. RedCylon

RedCylon Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2011
    I also thought that Luke threw his lightsaber into the AT-AT to destroy it. Until I got older I always wondered how he got it back so he could use it later. Also for some reason I thought Obi-Wan was using Luke's lightsaber during the duel with Darth Vader in A New Hope. I didn't understand the idea that he had his own lightsaber to use.

But my favorite misconception was that Luke only destroyed half of the Death Star in A New Hope. I thought that the Death Star in Return of the Jedi was the same one, with half of it being blown apart.

17. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I must have seen the original films when I was very young, in bits and pieces. They were on TV pretty regularly around holiday times. My only memory of this is thinking Han Solo was killed when they froze him in carbonite.

Later, when I was still a kid but slightly older, we went back and watched the films in order (4-6, the rest didn't exist yet). When the heroes escape the death star in IV, I wasn't sure if they'd attack the DS immediately or if that was saved for the next episode. This may be some kind of residual ROTJ memory from before.

Also, before we completed watching the trilogy, I wondered in which of the three films they got the lightsabers stuck together. Turns out that's from Spaceballs.

At some point, either in the early days or later, we taped them off TV and they were titled:

-Star Wars
    -The Second One
    -Return of the Jedi

And my conceptions for the Prequel and Sequel Trilogies (not "mis-," but clashing with the eventuality all the same) would fill their own thread.

18. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    lightsabre=lifesaver. Also, was pretty sure that Han was also a Jedi; after all, he demonstrated his mastery of the lightsabre vs. the dead Tauntaun. Thought the Rebels won in TESB, too; my mother swiftly persuaded me of this notion despite me pointing out that the Rebels ultimately escaped from Vader. :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Does it count that I thought, between 1980 and 1983, that there was no way that Vader was really Luke's father?

I also thought that Anakin was a pilot first, and that being a Jedi was a side job of sorts for men who had other day jobs. I thought Obi-Wan was a soldier serving under Leia's father in some army.

AshiusX and Star Wars age 9 like this.
  20. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I thought Obi-Wan was a soldier serving under Leia's father in some army.

That's not necessarily a misconception; The Jedi and the Grand Army did answer to the Senate for the majority of the clone wars, and Bail certainly interacted much more routinely with the Jedi in general, and Obi-Wan in particular, than your typical Senator did.

SpecterSquadronLeader and kainee like this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    At one point I thought that "Artoo" and Vader were the same character.

I know that doesn't make sense.

I was quite small.

22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
  23. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    One more sort of misconception about prequel things from the OT is that i assumed Luke's Jedi Knight outfit was the Jedi outfit, not humble robes.

That could be it's own thread. 'What did the OT lead you to believe about the prequels that turned out false?'

kainee and Star Wars age 9 like this.
  24. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000

[face_laugh] Those poor lonely stormtroopers. :p

25. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    That was actually true at the time, even though it's sort of confused by the vision of Anakin, Yoda & Obi-Wan in robes at the end of ROTJ.

Early conceptual art for TPM featured Obi-Wan in a sleek black uniform:

[image=http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/tpm4.png] [image=http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/obiwan2.jpg]

[image=http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7637/dougchiangthephantommen.jpg] [image=http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/tpm22.jpg]

The development of the Jedi uniform was discussed a while back in this thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/star_wars_saga/b10456/31225007/p1

As far as I'm concerned, the highest authority of all is this:

[image=http://www.brianstoys.com/store/images/products/Star%20Wars/vintage/ActionFigures/Carded/AFA/ROTJ/Vintage_ROTJAFA_10837432.jpg]

"Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight Outfit)". Case closed.

And Zuckuss was the grey robot, 4-LOM the beige bug guy, no matter what LFL says now.:p

whostheBossk likes this.