main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Since I'm Swedish, I always saw the films with subtitles - so I always knew Darth Vader was called Darth Vader, and lightsabers were translated to "ljussablar" - which is literally "lightsabers" in Swedish. So none of those misconceptions.

But as I started to teach myself English (this was a few years before they started teaching us in school), I got a few things wrong. I thought "prisjägare", (meaning "bounty hunter") was "Spunky hunter", because I always thought Vader said "He's all yours, spunky hunter".

Some pronounciations were very off too, since I couldn't really distinguish which words were which in English, so I had to go by the spelling in the subtitles. I thought that Tatooine was pronounced "Tah-toy-neh".
    Years later, I still wasn't too good at English, and I thought Darth Maul was pronounced "Darth Ma-ul" (think how "Smaug" is pronounced in The Hobbit).

I thought for quite some time that Jabba the Hutt was the one named Boba Fett, because in Swedish "fett" means fat, or lard :p

And the Swedish comic books didn't help with some things either. They translated Jabba the Hutt to "Jabbahyddan", which means "Jabba the Hut", and Chewbacca to "Tuggbak" - as in "Chew-bak", or maybe even "Chew-baco" (Tobaco is called tobak in Swedish).

And a last one - not mine, but it's a cute story. A few years ago, my nephew (maybe eight or nine at the time) told my sister that Indiana Jones had three jobs: teacher, archeologist and actor - because he played Han Solo in Star Wars.

TOASTEROVEN, Seagoat and B3 like this.
  2. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    I was always confused at Tarkin's line "You would prefer another target, a military target? Then name the system!" The way Tarkin says it made it sound like a statement rather then a question, for sme reason I thought Leia had made a deal with him to blow up two other planets then she would tell him where the base was. plus I thought he said "Provide" not "Prefer"

3. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I grew up with the OT in its pre-SE days. I thought for some reason that the Clone Wars took place either 60 years or 100s of years before SW/ANH came out and was a Jedi & good guys vs evil clones kinda thin. I was also confused by Obi-wan's death...I though he used some strange Force power to become invisible or teleport away and wasn't actually dead. Also didn't realize that the face in the Vader helmet on Dagobah was Luke's until I was older. When Luke takes Vader's helmet off, I was always terrified of his face when I was a kid. Then I realized later that it wasn't really that bad.

4. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Oddly enough when Luke tells Yoda he saw a city above the clouds I thought he said "I was sitting above the clouds."

When the Stormtrooper in ANH says "Maybe its another Drill" I thought he said "Maybe its another Girl."

Just some minor misconceptions I had as a kid.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  5. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I thought they said maybe it's another girl too.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  6. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I thought Han said, "Even I get bored sometimes," like he dropped his shipment for fun.

It wasn't until my latest viewing when I realized he said boarded.

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Han: "Boy, this trip sure is a drag."
    Chewie: "Roaarr."
    Han: "What do you say - should we just dump the cargo? We could shoot at it with the turbolasers."
    Han: "Cool, here goes!"

They dump the cargo, and shoot at it for a couple of minutes.

Han: "Well... that was that. How about some holo-chess?"
    Han: "Yeah, yeah, I'll let you win."

8. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I had a couple line misconceptions:

"Darth Vader, only you could be so bald."

"I saw Santa Claus!" (as opposed to Luke's "I saw a city in the clouds!")

And I could have sworn an Ewok said "That guy's wise!"

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i still hear it.

10. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    When I was very young, I thought that Star Wars was only one film. I used to get mad when I didn't see Yoda appear with Luke. It wasn't until I had a cousin show me all of the VHS, that I knew there were two sequels to the film.

11. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    When I saw the back of Vaders head in ESB I assumed he could breathe normally without it, but only wore it to hide his disfigured face.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  12. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Same here!
    Ewok 1: "That guy's wise!"
    Ewok 2: "More than me short!"

thejeditraitor likes this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

When actually does this happen? I never noticed it and I noticed A LOT of stuff in those scenes.

14. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Right after Threepio greets them for the first time.

thejeditraitor and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    That was fast, thank you. :) I guess I was focusing on the word "dobra" which is the female form of the adjective "dobar" (good) here and not paying attention to anything else.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  16. Davrum

Davrum Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2015
    Since he was kind of a mafia boss/crimelord I always though "The Hutt" was that kind of nickname for Jabba. Like a Mack "The Knife" or Jimmy "The Gent" kind of deal. I figured in the Galaxy Far, Far Away a "Hutt" was some kind of weapon or somebody from a certain region or maybe it just meant "boss" or something.

So I was pretty disappointed when I learned it's just a species of alien. No mafioso was ever called Tony "The Human". I expected more creativity than that.

17. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    When Luke says "There's two more wrecked speeders back there" in ROTJ, for the longest time I thought that's what speeder bikes were actually called, Wrecked Speeders.

Davrum, TigerCraneFist and pronker like this.
  18. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014
    I always thought the laser for the Death Star came out of the middle of the disk in one big beam, not several coming out and combining into one.

19. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015
    After Han is frozen in carbonite, as he's being lift out of the chamber I always thought the machine was saying Leia.

pronker likes this.
  20. redlightning

Feb 1, 2014
    Who thought Dark Vader was the real name at a young age?

DarthSheev likes this.
  21. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    I was around 3-4 when I first found my older brothers ESB storybook, and I thought that was the first movie and Luke found R2 in a swamp. Someone had thrown R2 out a long time ago, because he was so dirty.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Me too, but more like "Reck Speeders" or something along those lines.

23. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    When Han, Luke and Leia are backed into the cell block in ANH, when Leia grabs Luke's blaster and says "somebody has to save our skins" for the longest time I thought she said "somebody has save us kids".

24. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I thought the Imperial dignitaries on the second Death Star in ROTJ were the emperor's parents.

Revanfan1, WriterMan, Seagoat and 5 others like this.
  25. Lady-Hermione

Lady-Hermione Jedi Master star 1

Jul 15, 2003
    I showed the trilogy to the four-year-old class when I worked at a daycare as a teenager.

When ghost Obi-Wan shows up to talk to Luke on Hoth, one of the little girls said, "Oh, it's God."

The rest of the movie was processed through this filter, despite my objections. The children decided Vader was the devil, and they squabbled when they discovered that Jesus was the devil's son. They refused to believe anything I said regarding the matter.

Vthuil, lbr789, Revanfan1 and 7 others like this.