main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    When I was a kid, a friend told me that they turned the lightsabers on by "twisting the top". I think he may have just misunderstood the explanation of rotoscoping, but for a while I thought lightsabers turned on if you twisted the top of them.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  2. Worker11811

Worker11811 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 6, 2016

Because they are, actually. Lucas talks about this somewhere, that what the model and camera teams thought during production. The Falcon is a burger with an olive next to it. Boba Fett's ship is a street light...

3. Worker11811

Worker11811 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 6, 2016

I always thought so, too. I assumed the creature wouldn't survive being compacted, so some of those clunks were the secret door to his pen opening and closing. Later I thought, 'but how would it know?' And even later I thought, 'It would recognize the sound and swim out of the garbage room.' Then I thought, 'but how would the controller of the compactor know when the creature was safe?' And then I thought, 'There'd have to be a sensor detecting it going through the door.' And finally I thought, 'I am really overthinking this...'

4. ViktorShade

ViktorShade Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2016
    When I saw Luke's face appear in the Darth Vader mask, I thought Luke was Vader.

5. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    In ESB I thought Luke threw his Lightsaber into the AT-AT and that somehow destroyed it.

6. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Well, back in '77, I was not lucky enough to see ANH. Only in 1980 after ESB did i watch it. But I can tell you that my friends who did see it, told me, that C3PO was 8ft tall!

I think they were talking about Chewbacca, but this is what I recollect hearing and still can recall it that way.

So in 1980, I chuckled a bit, to see PO hardly 6ft. :p

TOASTEROVEN and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  7. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    When I was younger I had literally no idea about what Star Wars was. I got Darth Vader's name and that lightsabers functioned as swords and that's about all. It seemed like one of those video-gamey things that people talked about that I was never much into (we're talking primary school here) and I had no conception of how the characters worked or the timeline. That the original film was called episode four also confused me. I didn't know if it was a movie, bunch of movies, Tv series (no, that was Star Trek) video game or whatever. I worked it out a little later but still didn't know what it really was about.
    Then I saw the original film on television and my life changed forever.

8. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I thought Dodonna was Leia's father.

9. CometSmudge

CometSmudge Jedi Padawan

Feb 17, 2016
    I thought lightsabers were life saber, light savers or something like that.
    I though Darth Vader was Dark Vader
    I thought the Sith were called evil Jedi.

10. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    I thought there were two Darth Vaders. Either that, or I thought he healed himself somehow.

For a while, I thought Han Solo was Tom Solo.

Frank T. likes this.
  11. otherworlds

otherworlds Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2016
    I remember asking as a child how can darth vader be lukes father. Maybe I was nine (that was when The prequels started) but could have been younger. I didn't understand the whole concept of that being possible!
    And I did think that Jabba ate that person when it showed him eating something soon after
    Thinking that R2-D2 was really a robot (not a small man inside)
    I also thought both Wedge and Biggs were killed, but learned Wedge survived by flying away
    Never realized Ben was changing the settings to stop the tractor beam
    And of course (as kids would) thinking Palpatine really was a hideous guy. More recently I actually saw a video where they make the actors face look like it does.

12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Wow. Well, Leia does seem to be hugging a lot of people in that film. I can see why a kid would mistake one of those older men as her relations. It's not like the movie ever has a line like this: "My father is dead. My world is destroyed." But Leia must have been a strong person to endure that and not lose her sanity. I wish more nineteen-year-olds were like that in real life.

TOASTEROVEN and CT1138 like this.
  13. adrian80

adrian80 Jedi Knight

Apr 3, 2016
    As a kid, I somehow thought that Jedi meant the same as Yeti. In my language they're pronounced almost the same way.

Not sure if it had anything to do with the Wampa, so ROTJ would have been about it's return or something. Wampa = Yeti = Jedi obviously

Frank T. and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

I absolutely love the kid logic behind this. Made me laugh. :)

MarcJordan and Frank T. like this.
  15. Cartooncheryl

Cartooncheryl Jedi Master star 1

Jun 20, 1999
    I'm really ashamed of this, and I'm not trolling. I... I thought it sucked!

Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back came out when I was in elementary school. I wasn't quite sure what these movies were about, but a lot of the jerks in my school were really into SW... which made me immediately dislike it.

"Fortunately" my older sister and her boyfriend decided to take all their respective younger siblings to the movies in 1983. They, in their infinite wisdom, decided, "a bunch of little kids, let's go see Porky's!" (WHY???) Return of the Jedi was also playing, and since I had negative-9001 interest in the former, I chose the latter, if only to finally see what the fuss was about, re: Star Wars.

I now see what the fuss is about.

TOASTEROVEN and Frank T. like this.
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I thought Alec Guiness actually screamed the Krayt Dragon call on set

17. Darth Cyrina

Darth Cyrina Jedi Padawan

Apr 30, 2016
    I was 12 when I first saw the orignal trilogy, and that does influnce things.

ANH

Luke's Aunt and Uncle were killed by something going wrong on the farm. For me I always thought that a. There is no way a blaster bolt could do that, and b. It was just too much of a mess for the Empire to leave behind. You are on an Empire hating planet, and you already have Rebels. There is no need to make them hate you more

Darth Vader was a elaborate robot designed to act and behave like a human, while having enhanced and superhuman ablities to kill the Jedi and Rebels. The suit? Just for fear. In my eyes if you scare prey, screw them up, they are going to fall right into your hands. The breathing? Both a ruse and fear. He is a robot, so no need to breath. When not tracking said Jedi and Rebels it's more of a "I am here and if you screw up you will die kind of thing" I always thought he turned it off when hunting the Jedi and Rebels, then turned it on so it was the last thing they heard. And the talking and supposed memories with Obi-Wan? He has been tracking and attempting to kill him, so they were bound to have a history. And then he killed Obi-Wan with out, in my eyes, breaking a sweat and I went: theory confirmed!

ESB

Vader was lying. After all, he was designed to act like a Sith, and either instructed or programmed to turn Luke. Sith lie, right? And Vader would have artificial and crazy powerful Force abilities given to him by whoever made him, so he would have been able to read Luke's mind. After figuring out his father and Obi-Wan was his weak point, he made up that a. HE was his father (totally impossible as robots can't have sons) and B. Obi-Wan lied (he is a freaking Jedi, he wouldn't lie). This both breaks Luke, and plants fear and doubt in him.

The Emperor wasn't real. All we ever saw was a hologram, and holograms were just an image, as even if he was real, there is no way anyone could be that tall. So, I thought, "what keeps people in a tyrannical dictatorship in line?" A dictator. But, I thought, if you have rebels with the end goal of killing him, people who want him dead, and a need for him to be ungodly poweful, why not just fake him. First off, why in the force would Vader the super robot ever kneel to ANYONE? The person who made him have him what I saw as both crazy powers, and a god complex (tho I never blamed him) so why would he kneel to some human? But you can't have a robot as a figurehead, so you need to make one. So they made up the Emperor. Vader kneeled because it kept the ruse. If someone walked in, for all they knew he was speaking with the Emperor (though I doubt they made it out alive). It gave people someone to fear and a leader that couldn't be killed. As for the Emperors plans? I saw then as equal parts Vader's ideas and who ever made Vader's ideas

RoTJ

I was sick when I first saw it, so I had no misconceptions that I can remember

18. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I love the way you said that: "The suit? Just for fear."

19. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    I used to think that the reason Obi-Wan's dueling speed was was so slow in AOTC was that they brought back "the guy who played him in the original Star Wars".....so I actually thought that Alec Guinness was in AOTC. And if you're wondering, then yes, I really was that stupid (but hey, I was also 10).

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  20. Darth Cyrina

Darth Cyrina Jedi Padawan

Apr 30, 2016
    SateleNovelist11 Yeah I thought it made sense at the time (And I was kinda right) after all, this is the robot who is hunting people the Empire wants dead, so you should make him so something to fear. Yeah, it got in the way of the robot moving, but I always saw it as the robot having incredible strength, so if he got to you, you were pretty much dead.

21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I was 100% convinced Vader lied in ESB

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Me too. In my 7 year old mind Obiwan = good = truth and Vader = bad = lies. Simple as that!

Snokers likes this.
  23. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    When I saw the Phantom Menace poster next to A New Hope poster. Without knowledge that the other movies existed, I thought each Star Wars movie was a stand-alone movie only very vaguely connected to each other.

MarcJordan and Frank T. like this.
  24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I find it odd that I never even once considered that "I am your father" might have been a lie
    I suppose I didn't understand the concept of using that as a means to control Luke even if it weren't true. Perhaps it's also related to my earliest SW memories being only of I, II, and IV-VI, so

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  25. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    To my ear, in 1977, C-3PO said, "We'll be sent to the spice mines of Kesselor; Smashed into who knows what!" Not "We'll be sent to the spice mines of Kessel, smashed into who knows what!"