main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Valley_Lord

Valley_Lord Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2005
    What? The lightsabers were focused light beams. Laser swords. What else could they be? Jedi knights are medieval knights in space. Lightsabers are sci-fi or futuristic versions of medieval swords.

Who cares if Lucas borrowed from original stories? If it's a good story, it's a good story, regardless of it being original or cliche.

Wookies on endor would be cool, I agree 100%. Why not mix ewoks and wookies at the end of Jedi? A compromise. Cute aliens can be cool, like Ratchet.[/quote]

When two lazers intersect they have no tangible effect on one another, or in ortherwords pass through another entirely. So Lightsabers are clearly not visble light spectrum photons.
    Given that they emit light, physically interact with each other and cut through all by very dense or sepcially made materials, the best explanaition is plasma, the fourth state of matter.
    Not going to address Ewoks, they're just plain stupid.

jedimikey likes this.
  2. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Hm. I agree with Valley_Lord's lightsaber assessment. It could be done with plasma energy, but there's no way you can make a "laser sword" (despite Anikin's childish statement in PM; to a young child, it certainly looks like a laser). You can't have a focused beam of light of that intensity that's only a meter long.

I also disliked ewoks.

3. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It looks like some aren't noticing the "misconceptions you had as a kid" purpose of this topic. Why debate now what someone surmised when four years old or whenever before learning or figuring it out better?
    I never had a problem understanding "lightsabers". Some people either take that name completely literally, thinking of it as having properties similar to a flashlight, or apply our own technology to it. I haven't heard the "lifesavers" thing in a long time though; I guess that candy isn't as prominent as it was, especially to a little kid.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  4. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Ewokiees sounds like a very cheesy name. Too redundant.

But I wonder what their hybrid would look.

5. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Lightsabers were just laser swords-focused beams of light. Jedi are sci fi version of knights in space, a lightsaber is a futuristic sci-fi laser sword. If lightsabers weren't merely laser beams, what were they, then?

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Eh...no they're not. :p You can't focus light like that.

And in officialdom, they're magnetically contained plasma.

7. Valley_Lord

Valley_Lord Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2005
    I will reiterate, the only likely explanaition is the use of plasma, the highest energy state of matter, normally existant only in stars, bolts of lightning, electrical disasters and (technically) welding devieces.
    plasma is composed of highly energetic, densely packed atoms. which is why plasma can directly interact with matter.
    visible light is composed of photons at visible light energies. Photons have no mass, and no electrostatic charge. Which is why two focused light beams do not at all affect each other.

If this does not make sense to you, go back to high school and retake physics.

DarthBoba likes this.
  8. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I know about physics.

Also, the lightsaber is not a magic sword. It is not mystical. It doesnt come from the force. It's just a sci fi weapon.

[​IMG]

9. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It uses a force-powered chrystal to generate the blade.
    Besides, how old are you, Lord Tyrannus? Just a question...

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Let's leave people's ages out of this.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I always thought that Vader was the main bad guy, rather than Palpatine.

12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    But Palpatine was the main manipulator, so he is the main bad guy, I guess.

13. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I remember as a kid thinking that Boba Fett was Darth Vaders brother and that he was the leader of the Stormtroopers.
    I also thought that Artoo and 3PO were real droids and that the Death Star was real and had been built in space so they could make the movies. In fact I think I asked my dad if we could go there on holiday several times and each time he said it wasn't real I was sure he was lying so he could surprise me when we finally went to the rocket that would take us there. I was so sure of this that I actually sulked for a whole day when we ended up going somewhere else for one our holidays because I thought he was being mean and refusing to take me.

Oh and this more of a mix up, but I remember when I watched the movies as a teenager for this first time I was really confused as to why Jabba wasn't in the cantina waiting to put Luke in the Rancor dungeon because I was sure I remembered the cantina band being present in the scene where Luke meets Jabba.

DL44Jo and MaggieSolo like this.
  14. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I thought the death star was the size of the moon. It aint.

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    It's the size of a SMALL moon.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Compare the death star size to earth.

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
  18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    How much smaller? Is there a photo comparison?

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    starwars.wikia.com

20. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    It has a size comparison with a photo of earth and the death star?

21. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    120km diameter.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    160 km these days (at least, the most recent background books, like The Essential Guide to Warfare, have it as that).

23. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    According to the Essential guide to vessels, the DS 1 was 120K and the DS 2 was 160km

24. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    I can't think of any off the top of my head but on another board a few years ago, another person wrote something that was hilarious and worth passing on:

On the Falcon, when Alderaan is destroyed and Kenobi senses it in the Force, this other guy as a kid thought Kenobi said "I felt a great disturbance in the Force...as if millions of OYSTERS suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened." And this guy figured that the oysters must have called out to the Force as they died!!! So great!!! The last collective screams of the now extinct Alderaanian oyster colonies!

Yunners likes this.
  25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The Essential Guide to Vessels' figures are outdated. Per Star Wars: Complete Cross-Sections, DS1 is 160 km and DS2 is over 900 km (per Star Wars: Complete Locations). The 900 km figure may seem enormous, but it is actually more plausible following calculations (detailed scaling and comparison with Vader's flagship).