main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. sansian

sansian Jedi Master

Sep 2, 2001
    In ROTJ I thought R2 was making 3PO float. Never connected it to Luke until much later.

2. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I was born after ROTJ but before the the 97 special editions. I never saw the OT until I was 16. As a kid I would play in my best friends back garden sand pit with his star wars figures. I thought the stormtroopers were robots.

3. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Along with some of the ones mentioned in this thread, I remember seeing a TV ad for ESB and thinking Lando was Darth Vader without his helmet and armour on. The crazy thing is that this was for the Special Editions - I hadn't seen the films before, but I knew the general plot points, including the fact that Vader was Luke's father. How I got it in my head that Billy Dee Williams could be Mark Hamill's dad I don't know.

I also remember watching kids' TV not long before the (SE) ANH was released. They were describing the characters using cardboard cut-outs, and the one they used for Leia was her in her slave outfit. I thought this meant there'd be a sex scene between Leia and either Luke or Han (I didn't know about Luke and Leia being siblings at this point), and that that was Leia's bedroom outfit. Man, was that ever off-base.

Also:
    I actually still believe this theory. It's a good way of explaining why Obi-Wan changed his first name but not his surname.

Where you and I differ DarthAlgar is that I believed that "Qui-Gon" and "Obi-Wan" were traditional Jedi names given to babies brought to the temple. Anakin has had his name for nine years, so it makes no sense changing it now, but Kenobi and Jinn hadn't been named when they were given to the Jedi Order, hence their receiving traditional Jedi names.

Darth Liberatus and kainee like this.
  4. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    As I heard my older brothers talking about the films long before I saw them, for years I though Obi-Wan's full name was Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi. I used to say it like it was all one word. It has a nice rhythm to it!

5. MaggieSolo

MaggieSolo Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2009
    A few years ago, when my nephew and his friends first saw Star Wars, they insisted it was called Tantive "Ivy" as in I and V, because they didn't know what Roman numerals were yet. Being the Star Wars nerd that I am, it drove me nuts. [face_blush]

Also, the debate (between my ten year old nephew and his 39 year old aunt, sigh) continues on whether the AT-AT Walkers are pronounced "at-at" or "eh tee-eh tee". When I was a kid it was "at-at". Can anyone confirm that age =wisdom and I am right? Please, please let me be right....

Ahsoka_Tano_11 likes this.
  6. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    I thought when Tarkin was about to blow up Alderaan his reasoning was the Dantooine was too far away as a planet to be an effective staging point for the rebels and thus she was lying.

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    I always wondered what the Storm Troopers ate for dinner

MaggieSolo and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    As a very young and stupid child I actually didn't like Star Wars (this was before my parents took me to see the SE where I fell in love with them) because my brothers insisted that it took place in some silly "galaxy far, far away!" I refused to believe that Star Wars didn't take place in our galaxy and I assumed that Tatooine was Earth after some devastating apocalypse! As I said, I was very young and very stupid!

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I grew up in the 90s, so I missed a lot of the ones that have come up a lot, but I do remember always referring to "3-CPO".

For some reason, I also thought Luke had been killed when the Tusken Raider attacked him, and Obi-Wan used the Force to bring him back to life.

Right up until AOTC came out, I had the idea that green lightsabers were inherently superior to blue ones.

10. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Not with the OT, but with the PT. I always thought that Padme being Queen explained where Leia got the princess title. And was confused by Luke not getting the prince title.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  11. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    I used to think the stormtroopers were robots and they were controlled by the main robot Darth Vader and the flashing remote control on his chest!! And I'm convinced that I saw Luke drop to his knees and break down and scream when he saw Owen & Beru's charred corpses (don't know where I thought I saw that but I argued with people that it was in a version I saw!!!)
    Also I thought (long before TESB appeared) that Vader spun through space until he died and when Obi Wan gave Luke that look before he sacrificed himself, I said to my mate, Obi Wan is Luke's real dad and just told him Vader killed his dad to protect him!!

12. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    I always thought Han was saying, "Mola Factor? Mola Factor, where?" on Jabba's sail barge, when he touches off Boba Fett's jet pack. I learned a long time ago what he was actually saying, but it's only been fairly recently that I can hear it as even close to "Boba Fett".

13. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    "Look sir, droids!" I thought that the ring the stormtrooper holds up was actually a droid, and rather than telling his commanding officer that they had found proof of droids in the pod, he just found something nice on the floor and decided to show it around.

After Luke cuts Vader's hand off and then looks at his own robotic hand, for some reason I thought that Vader's hand had somehow transferred itself onto Luke's arm, and he was slowly becoming Vader.

After Obi-Wan says "It's an Imperial fighter", I thought he was correcting himself by saying "No, it's a short range fighter", rather than telling Luke that the ship couldn't have followed them...

I never made the connection between Luke's vision of Vader in the cave, and the revealed face being his own. I thought it was Vader's face.

I thought Obi-Wan was controlling the remote in ANH with the Force.

14. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I thought Darth Vader was a robot, until I saw ESB
    I always wondered how he fathered Luke and Leia if he was in the suit, then I realized he probably hadn't been in the suit forever
    Life Saver, instead of lightsaber
    I thought there were only boy Jedi, and I was told that by kids I played Star Wars with

I'm sure there's more, so I will be back when I remember them LOL

15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013

16. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    My parents recorded ANH and RotJ off of TV. One of the recorded ANH cut off during the Trash Compacter scene (it was the end of the tape) another it appears that the recording began when Leia's ship is being towed into the Star Destroyer.

Either way I grew up watching RotJ.

I don't remember seeing ESB until I was about eight. I remember watching the scene where Vader reveals that he is Luke's father and turning to my father to ask him why Luke was so upset. I thought Luke knew that they were father and son.

As a child I believed that live action movies really happened. I thought that people with video cameras recorded them. So in a nutshell I believed that Star Wars really happened. You can blame my Pappaw for that. He and my Nana had a home video camera and the would record us doing things and at a later time we would watch them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."

17. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    In ANH-
    When Ben and Luke are stopped by the Stormtrooper patrol-
    "They aren't for sale if you want them."

Also in ANH, when Ben says "damned" and the the other few naughty words in the classic trilogy, I thought I was watching a grown up film. I had never seen anything with cursing in it that my parents actually allowed me to sit and openly enjoy on my own. Hey, I was five when I first saw these. So I felt quite adult being able to waltz around and watch those damned films.

I loved Ben Kenobi so much after that. He cursed! lol.

18. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    I got really mad at someone because they said "Chewbacca is a girl, and that thing she wares is a hand bag"
    Oh boy, did she get a lecture. :D
    I also wondered how Darth Vader went to the toilet......

19. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    And how he ate as well.....

20. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I thought that because the Rebels had been made part of the Ewok Tribe that after the defeat of the Empire they stayed there. I made up stories in my head about the adventures the children of the Rebels had. I gave Han and Leia at least one child, a girl, I can't remember the name I gave her though.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."

21. AntilllesRedTwo

AntilllesRedTwo Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2013
    I thought Boba Fett was Bobba Fett.
    I thought the Dianoga was a giant snake.
    I never understood how Obi-Wan died. I thought he just disappeared and left his robe behind.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought Vader was an uber Storm Trooper.

23. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I thought as a kid that all the Rebel Pilots could use the force...

I also always wondered what happened to all the pilots that were in the breifing...because they all didnt rush out to attack the Death Star???

[​IMG]

24. Darth Liberatus

Darth Liberatus Jedi Padawan star 1

May 13, 2013
    I thought Anakin in Episode I was Luke as a kid.

I thought that when Anakin says 'You're a Jedi knight, aren't you?' and Qui-Gon says 'What makes you think that?', Qui-Gon was trying to cover up the fact that he was a Jedi and didn't want anyone to know.

I thought lightsaber blades were laser.

I thought that 'Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice.' at the end of TPM referred to Jedi. I thought that it was Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan and that Anakin replaced Qui-Gon, and that Yoda didn't count because he wasn't a knight or something like that.

I thought they got lucky when Watto's chance cube landed on blue (as opposed to Qui-Gon using the Force).

I thought that the money Anakin got from selling the pod was the prize money from winning the race.

I thought Shmi was just being stupid about not going with the Jedi. I wasn't aware of the explosive devices that kill slaves who attempt to escape.

I thought that Boss Nass was a different species because he's too fat to be a gungan.

I thought Boba was pronounced Bobba.

I thought Qui-Gon was pronounced Kwee-Gon.

I thought that Jedi were cooler than Sith.

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Isn't that what he was doing?