main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Missions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valiento, May 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    So I just got ahold of a complete set of star wars missions, books, magazines, game, cards(minus 1 card) etc, and I'm really quite happy.

But I noticed one missing item, it was missing one card, when I compared it to the list on this site. It had a double of Tie Advanced X1 card, but lacked the Carrack Cruiser card.

I'm curious if anyone who has a complete set, could make a scan of that card on both sides, so I can see what I'm missing.

If anyone has an extra of Carrack Cruiser card that you are willing to give away, to complete my set that would be nice too. If you are missing the Tie Advanced X1, I guess I have that extra to trade, heh.

But on other matters, I noticed that these books aren't really choose your own adventure books as much as people mentioned they were. You can choose choices as simple as Evade, or Fight, and that's about it. You make or loose points on how well you get through something based on your choice. But unlike choose your own adventure books, it doesn't tell you to go to another page, on the contrary you just move onto the next paragraph of the story regardless of your actions. In other words you can read the book as a reguler novel, skipping the gameplay altogether. The only thing different about the mid-section of the book is it is in a more First person POV, with a narrator telling you what you are doing. The introduction chapters, and the epilogue chapters are completely in 3rd person POV, though.

2. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    I'm NOT sure if I misunderstood you, Val. Do you have a complete set of the Missions books?

I'm curious which one has been the toughest for readers to get. For me - it was # 16, although a good friend of mine struggled for some time to find # 20. We were actually collaborating on joint bids and searchs on "missions lots" just to get the issues/books we both needed.

Fortunately, we both found the "final book(s)" we both needed to complete our own sets.

Geez . . . the collecting pull of a die hard SWEU collector. It's a sickness, no?

Ana V

3. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I was able to obtain a "complete" set minus the "Carrack Cruiser" Card.

It took me years to find a "perfect" collection that included everything(I held off until I could be certain that I could get at least the 20 books all in one order). I found one with a set on ebay, that included the cards, magazines, books, game, posters, etc. I'm quite happy about it really.

One of the card packages just happened to have two of the "Tie Advanced X1" card, and lacked the "Carrack Cruiser" card.

So I thought I'd ask about the card, to see if someone had an extra they were willing to give away, or as second best option, make a scan of both sides of it, if they can.

4. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Could you explain what the SW missions are? Are they the mail away Scholastic books? Just curious and thanks in advance for your responce. :)

5. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ya, they were a series from a scholastic book club subscription similer to the Ep1 adventures, and the current Ep2 adventures. Except that they put the game material right in with the books, instead of being a seperate book.

6. Isbeth

Aug 28, 2001
    Val, what are they based on? :confused: EPIV, EPV or EPVI ? :confused: Did you send away for them, buy them at a used book store or get them off e-bay?

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Star Wars Missions take place between ANH, and ESB. I got them on Ebay(as I mentioned earlier).

8. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    back in the day i signed up and got the first two, but i really didn't like them very well so i stopped

do the later ones get better than the first two? (i did like the kashyyyk art at the begining of the second mag)

9. Isbeth

Aug 28, 2001
    Thanks Val, next time I will read more carefully. :)

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "back in the day i signed up and got the first two, but i really didn't like them very well so i stopped

do the later ones get better than the first two? (i did like the kashyyyk art at the begining of the second mag)"

Well, I'm just glancing, but the prologue chapters, and final chapters are pretty good.

The paragraphs in the gaming section parts tend to drop in quality.

Also it's impossible to know for certain which character did what in a mission. There are some clues, limiting it to "rebel mission", or "imperial mission". You can play only with the characters aligned for the mission, or neutral alligned characters.

Other than that figuring out who "You" is, isn't fully possible.

For instance the first mission, you have a choice between Han, Luke, Leia, or Chewie as the characters you can play as. The end of the first part of the book ends with all 4 heroes running for the hanger.

Ok, then it switches to narrator treating everything as if "you" are the one making the decisions, that "you" are rebel that you chose to play as, at the beginning of the game(note it never names you throughout the game, and only calls you, "You").

You are issued a few orders, by dodonna set given the equipment you will need for the mission, etc. You then go out into the jungle aboard a speeder bike alone. Your friends either stay at the base or are on seperate missions(note that it never gives their names, it just neutrally calls them, "friends"). It also mentions that there are alot more rebels besides, your "friends" that are running out to the jungle as well.

So basically the character that you choose at the beginning of the game is the one that goes on the mission, but in in-universe continuity, there is no way to tell if it was, Luke, Han, Leia, or Chewie that you were assuming control of. It could be any of them.

In later books you get even more character cards(even some cards with blank faces, and name slots, so you can create your own imperials, rebels, or bountyhunter), so even more possibilites are opened up the further you go on, as to who exactly went on the missions(though there are implied clues to a list of characters that would best fit into the story in the intro chapters). The only thing that limits who can go on the mission is the faction allignment for the mission objectives, be it rebel, or imperial.

11. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    In the first book, the main character is probably Luke. It's not Leia, because near the end of the mission, Dodonna (who knows who the Rebel is) says "Well done soldier"--which is not something Dodonna would say to Leia Organa! It's not Han, because in one of the SW Kids comics, Han visits the fortress featured in this book, and is attacked by the three-armed guardian droids from same. He then says "I thought Q-7N was the only droid who guarded this fortress!" The main character in the book encounters several such droids. Finally, it's not Chewbacca, because the main character disguises himself as a stormtrooper at one point, and there's no way Chewie can fit into that armor. ;)

TC

12. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Heck Val,

I've seen complete sets OF JUST THE MISSIONS BOOKS go for anywhere between $100 to $200 on ebay. I hope you faired much, much better!

Regardless, it sounds like an exciting package to get in the mail!!!!

Congrats on the acquisition!

Ana V

13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    I have a complete set of the Star Wars Missions books sitting on my Star Wars shelves. I had an advantage over the rest of you, in that I was a kid in grade school when they first came out, and was able to order them through my school book orders. :cool:

But I hadn't seen the accessories in years. So, this thread prompted a divine quest for me. A quest to find the cheap plastic brief-case that came with my Missions stuff and presumably still contained it all. I searched high and low, all over the house, for about an hour. Alas, my search only turned up the Star Wars Kids magazines that came with the books, (I just finished relocating the mags to their rightful place on my Star Wars shelves, by the way :D ).

I now feel pretty safe in assuming that I have either thrown out or just plain lost my plastic Missions case, along with the related cards, map dealies, die, and pad. Sorry, Val. I guess I'm just not anal-retentive enough to help you. :( :p

But thanks for starting this thread. If it weren't for this thread, I wouldn't have gone on the quest that yielded my old Star Wars Kids magazines. :)

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "I've seen complete sets OF JUST THE MISSIONS BOOKS go for anywhere between $100 to $200 on ebay. I hope you faired much, much better!"

I payed $150, plus $7 shipping.

That is essentially $7.50 + $0.35 shipping per set. Compared to the $10-14 that that sets went for in the mail originally(I even got a vintage order form showing the original price for one of the kits), I think I got a good deal.

No problem Rogue-Ten, and thanks for trying, and if you by chance your case just sort of randomly appears someday, try to remember this thread, K?

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I've managed to get about half the mission books + the "starter set" box (by accident...I started paying closer attention to auctions after that[face_batting] ), though I really only want to track down the books themselves.

Through various auctions, I now am only missing books #14 & #16 through #20.

Of course, I ended up with duplicates of books #1 through #8 in the process ::p (anyone want to trade? ::D)

At least they've been easier to track down than the Episode 1 Adventures- of which I can only ever locate the gamebooks and never the storybooks (and, of course, I ended up with 3 or 4 gamebooks before I found out they were seperate from the storybooks- arg!)

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Carrack Cruiser was with, SW Missions #17: Darth Vader's Return, if anyone needs to know what set it was in.

I highly recommend the magazines, at least for the dark horse comics in them, as those are hard to find anywhere else.

The posters are cool too. They have color maps of the worlds, and variety of information and art. Not all of the material is original but over the course of all the posters, there was a nice selection of information.

17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    My favorite poster was the one with all the different stormtrooper pictures. I believe that it was the first artist's rendering of the "Zero-G troopers", pre-dating The Essential Chronology's.

Wish I could find it... :(

18. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I don't have #17, but I will check on the off-chance I have the card.

¤Night

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    The first visual depiction of a zero-G stormtrooper was in WEG's Imperial Sourcebook, yes?

TC

20. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Front

Back

Post when you have them so I can remove them from the server.

21. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ok, saved them to my HD, thanks for your help.

At least I have an idea what the card is like, if I ever feel like playing the game.

Please, if anyone that has an extra of that card, my request to be sent a copy still stands. It would be cool, if I could "complete" my set.

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.