main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Music in Unexpected Places

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by bagelpuss, Sep 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bagelpuss

bagelpuss Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2001
    On Friday I watched the Men's Free Skating program of the Goodwill Games and one of the men surprised me by skating to Star Wars. What surprised me was not that he chose to skate to Star Wars (several skaters have done so in the past 2 seasons), but the cuts of music from the movies that he chose.

Now I know that most of you probably never watch Ice Skating on TV, but as a devout skating fan I'll give you all the details. The skater was Chiangjiang Li of China and he skated to cuts from the Phantom Menace (the music from the duel with Darth Maul), now that's been pretty popular skating music recently so it didn't really surprize me. The next cut, however, was from ANH and it was from the scene where the Jawas are loading R2 into the crawler. This is pretty funny music and the skater did a great job of hamming it up for the audience and really brought out the nuances in the music. Since this is probably the same program he'll skate to in the Olympics, some of you may get to see it. BTW, he also landed a great quadruple toe loop-triple toe loop combination (for those of you who know what that is).

2. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    that is unexpected

3. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    A few days ago, I was sitting in my dorm room when out of the blue I heard someone outside whistling the Main Title. That was unexpected. :)

4. nathanelm

nathanelm Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2001
    Nothing will compare to how proud I felt when I heard the main title playing in World Cup 98 when France won the world championship! (I'm French, by the way)

5. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    I heard some Star Wars elavator music the other day. It was almost unrecognizable, and would have been sad if it were'nt so funny...

6. Miz

Miz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    I like it when a star wars (or any film score) piece is used on TV or anywhere, and nobody recognises it except me. I know where it's from. It makes me feel special, a part of something different, that no-one else takes notice of. I don't know anybody who likes the music i like, so i feel like the only person who knows about it.

7. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    My grade at school went to the orchestra, and one of the violinists did a solo (pun not intended :)) of the main theme!
    Everyone thought it was the only good part of the excursion :D

8. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I have yet to hear it in elevators and department stores that would be so cool!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Captain Page

Captain Page Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 22, 2000
    In fifth grade, the violins at our school played the theme to SW. The violin teacher remarked:
    "I didn't know there was a solo in this song. A Hans Solo."

Fortunately, I do not play the violin so the people watching did not see me hit my head on the wall in frustration. In fact, that comment annoys me so much that I'll hit my head again now. *blam*

The most unexpected SW song I heard was Bill Murray singing it on that old SNL skit.
    "Star Wars. Nothing but STAR Wars..."

10. jjas

jjas Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    I heard the Emperial march played at a MLB stadium when the visiting team's lineup was announced.

11. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    The Imperal March is somewhat common at football and baseball games.

12. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I was waiting in line for a roller coaster at a Six Flags theme park, and the guy next to me was singing "Yoda" to himself. :D THAT was unexpected.

13. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    This isn't SW music, but it is John Williams. Today on the radio I heard a patriotic commercial which included children reciting the Pledge of Allegiance while, in the background, the theme from Jurassic Park played! ?[face_plain]

14. Emperor Pinguin

Emperor Pinguin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2000
    I have two:

Last year i was on holiday in Morocco. We went to a "real Moroccon night" (real tourist night that is"
    They started with horseman, they came from the darkness and when they approached the Emperial March was playing. Cool!

Last week i was at a congress in The Hague (Netherlands) and during the breaks between the speakers they played SW music. Not the theme but Leia's nad Han's theme, yoday's theme and that kind.

One of the speakers was Al Gore and after introducing the spreakers they also played, more familiar, SW music.

All unexpected but vey cool!

EP

15. jangosdna

jangosdna Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2001
    The Colorado Avalanche play the Emperial march at their games as well...

16. pianoman02045

pianoman02045 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    at out school in like 6th grade (when i was really into playing with my little action figures [only child im deprived and dull]) there was an orchastra that came (it was like an old peoples orchastra) and to my surprise they did a Star Wars Suite. All the kids in the school knew me for being a starwars freak or whatevery wanna call it and were all staring at me as a almost danced (hehehe)! wellp thats my story of unexpctedness

17. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    \\can't stand it any longer\\

It's the Imperial March! Not the Emperial March!

*siiiiigh* Now that I got that out of my system, I can sleep. :D

18. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I was at a marching band competition, and one band was practicing the Imp March... I guess as a warmup.

Also, for the last 3 years, one of the bands we play has done a SW halftime show... it changes each year, and last year it was us!

19. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I enjoyed the SW music in Ferris Bueller

20. Orione

Orione Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2001
    Once my parents were driving on way to Los Angeles, and it was New Year's Eve. I was dozing when the SW theme just blared on in the back...Scared me almost out of my seat...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.