main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Music News

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Skydoll, May 9, 2016.

1. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    Hi, I'm new here, and couldn't find a thread to just post general music news re: Star Wars music. Apologies if I've duplicated a thread - mods, please just merge if that's the case. Everyone else - please add any news, rumors and comments!

Anyway...

For those wondering if JW will be back for Episode VIII, here's a good sign...

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=26736

"John Williams Fan Network poster nightscape94 brought us this fantastic John Williams quote from a few days ago while he led the Philadelphia Orchestra through some classic Star Wars themes.
    When he took the stage, and before he started conducting the Scherzo, he said "I told the producers I wasn't sure if I wanted to do the next one, but told them I didn't want anyone else doing it either." It was certainly meant as a joke, and got a great laugh.
    Great to hear the Maestro is in good spirits and clearly relishing the chance to continue the hottest of hot streaks by scoring Episode VIII. Remember, Alexandre Desplat takes on Rogue One which arrives 16th December."

Sarge and Howard Hand like this.
  2. Skydoll

Apr 27, 2016
  3. Skydoll

Apr 27, 2016
    John Williams will be presented with the American Film Institute’s Life Achievement Award:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/06/s...lliams-to-receive-afi-life-achievement-award/

'He plans to begin work on Spielberg’s next film, “Ready Player One,” in November, and then next year expects to do the next “Star Wars” film. “If I can do it, I certainly will. I told Kathy Kennedy I’m happy to do it, but the real reason is, I didn’t want anybody else writing music for Daisy Ridley,” he quips.'

Great news! :)

DARTH_BELO and Howard Hand like this.
  4. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    darskpine10, Seagoat and Skydoll like this.
  5. Skydoll

Apr 27, 2016
    http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=27081

I just saw that! Exciting. It just makes me so pleased that Williams still feels so creative.

Hey, use this thread for any and all John Williams news, if you have a mind to. Keeps it tidy! :)

Here's a link to the whole piece at Variety:

http://variety.com/2016/film/spotlight/john-williams-afi-1201792072-1201792072/

6. Skydoll

Apr 27, 2016
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    When does Sony loose the rights to the soundtracks of I-VI?

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The rumor I heard is 2018.

9. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
  10. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    That is such a relief; it just wouldn't be the same without Williams. But I wonder if it will be scored in the same manner/process as TFA or the Lucas movies.

Seagoat likes this.
  11. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    TFA most likely, especially considering that Williams will be seeing the rough cut more than a year before release (even longer than he did with TFA).

12. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    how did he score the lucas movies then?

13. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    I believe that with the Lucas films, he would see a nearly finished cut of the film a few months before release (like January or February) and then score the whole movie in that short span of time with the notion that what he composed would pretty much be the way it appeared in the finished film. The downside to this method is that he doesn't get a lot of time to create and place the music. The advantage is that he can see the ending sequence of the movie and sort of build the themes throughout the movie to naturally lead to that finale. Another advantage is that he can create musical cues for very specific cuts and moments in the movie since he knows that the specific arrangement of scenes has nearly been finalized (although this still didn't stop Lucas from doing more tinkering for the prequels).

With the modern method, he mentioned that J.J. would show him 30 minute chunks of the movie for him to score. He also said that J.J. would constantly be re-editing scenes. What this means is that in order to "marry" the visuals to the music, he would have to do a lot of rewrites. My belief is that since he knew that he would be doing a lot of rewrites, he, either consciously or subconsciously, composed the music to be "flexible" so that it could be more easily modified to accommodate the ever-changing edit of the film. The advantage of this method is that he spends a greater total time working on the music and gets a chance to rewrite pieces that he's not completely satisfied with.

Personally, I enjoy the older method that was used rather than the modern one because I feel that it makes for a tighter marriage between music and visuals. But, the latter method is the one that's mostly used these days for modern films. So it is what it is. And even though I prefer the former method, Williams is still brilliant enough to make an excellent score, regardless of the circumstances.

Skydoll, DarthCricketer and 11-4D like this.
  14. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    I blame the relatively low-mix of the score and the numerous edits (despite being supervised by Williams) for the music's slightly diminished role in the film. It never disappoints me on album but it's not nearly as effective in-film.

Skydoll likes this.
  15. Skydoll

Apr 27, 2016
  16. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Skydoll likes this.
  17. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    That is good news, indeed.

Howard Hand and Skydoll like this.
  18. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Wow that is early!

Howard Hand and Skydoll like this.
  19. Skydoll

Apr 27, 2016
    The original release date was going to be May 2017, IIRC...? So maybe this was always part of the schedule. They've now got the luxury of a longer post-production, but perhaps it also means a longer development time for Williams' score.

I am so happy he'll be back for this one! :)