Star Wars News From The Front ....

Discussion in 'New Hampshire' started by Rotag21, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rotag21 FanForce CR, New Hampshire

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Hi Guy's ,
    Just somemore to check out. I think I'm planning a trip to see this doring the week of April 25 sometime. If anyone would like to get together to go let me know.

But anyways check out the info. & the site.

SeeYa!
    TK

http://www.mos.org/starwars/index.php

Naboo Starfighter Unveiled for Museum Exhibit
    April 14, 2004

To herald the Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination exhibit, the Boston Museum of Science unveiled the Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter, a full-scale prop featured in Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. The stunning silver-and-yellow starship will be on display at the museum until the exhibit premieres at the museum in October 2005, approximately five months after the May release of Star Wars: Episode III -- the final chapter of the Star Wars saga.
    Following its world premiere at the Museum of Science, Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination will travel nationwide for approximately three years to member institutions of the Science Museum Exhibit Collaborative (SMEC), a consortium of seven U.S. science centers.

With support from the National Science Foundation (NSF), Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination will use the six films in the Star Wars saga as a gateway to examining real-world technologies and understanding the important role of technology in our future. The exhibit will include artwork, props, models, film clips and documentary footage from the Star Wars films, combined with hands-on science and technology components, discussion forums, and interactive engineering and computer technologies, to engage both children and adults.

Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination will highlight numerous parallels between technologies in the Star Wars films and real-world technology. Visitors will be able to glimpse the future by exploring amazing prototypes in progress and learning about the engineers and designers who are creating new technologies. In addition, they'll witness first-hand intriguing similarities between how scientists and filmmakers think.

"While exploring the concept of the exhibit, we received a tremendous amount of positive feedback from people across a wide range of demographics," said Larry Bell, the Museum of Science's Senior Vice President for Research, Development and Production. "Star Wars is multigenerational and so many aspects of the story have become part of our culture. This provides a rare opportunity for a common starting point among visitors to learn about technology and engineering."

"Lucasfilm is pleased to be part of this unique exhibition, with its emphasis on the importance of imagination in developing future technologies," said Howard Roffman, Vice President of Lucasfilm. "The exhibition and tour are specifically designed to guide children in their roles as tomorrows engineers and scientists."

In the next few months, the Museum of Science Exhibition Team will develop prototypes for Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination and invite a variety of audiences to give feedback -- with the goal of making the exhibit accessible to everyone. More on prototyping and the dates and times when the general public can prototype will be available on the website here.

Public viewing of the full-size Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter is included with regular Exhibit Hall Admission. Tickets for the Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination exhibition will go on sale in June 2005.
  2. SithapprenticeDJ Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey TK, Jason and I would love to go because my father showed me an article in one of the papers that mentioned about the Naboo Starfighter being on exibit at the Museum of Science.
  3. Rotag21 FanForce CR, New Hampshire

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    HI ALL !
    Just thought I'd past this on.... Just to bad :(

'Star Wars' Trilogy Won't Run in Pitman
    Posted by SirSteve on Apr 26, 04.

There's been a disturbance in the Force. A screening of the original three installments of the "Star Wars" series, previously planned for May 7, has been canceled at the historic Broadway Theater in Pitman.

Philadelphia-based Exhumed Films, better known for resurrecting some of horror's classic B-movie flicks, has tried for years to obtain prints of "Star Wars: A New Hope," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi." Finally, said Joseph Gervasi of Exhumed, a distribution company was granted permission to rent prints of the first three George Lucas hits.

Gervasi said when his company learned they would be getting remastered versions of the trilogy, they booked the 1,000-seat Broadway Theater and started promoting the event.

Then came a call from the distributor, who informed Exhumed that the "Star Wars" films would not be available.

Gervasi said he thinks "Star Wars" creator George Lucas got wind of the screenings from fans on a "Star Wars" Web site.

"We are baffled as to why the creator of these films does not want us to show them -- or for you to see them, for that matter -- but the bottom line is that we are unable to show them. We apologize for the inconvenience," reads a statement on the company's Web site.

Gervasi said response to the scheduled screening had been "tremendous," especially from members of the New Jersey chapter of the "Star Wars" fan club. The club had planned a big turnout in full galactic garb, he said.

A spokesperson for Lucasfilms Ltd., Karen Rose, said there is a moratorium on the trilogy until its DVD release on Sept. 21. "That's really the only reason," said Rose. "We normally do allow for screenings all the time."

Meanwhile, Gary Yosco, 31, said he and other members of the New Jersey Order of the Star Wars Fan Club were disheartened to learn that the event won't take place. Yosco is a council member of the organization, which is not only dedicated to "Star Wars" activities, he said, but also raises money for charities.

"We were a little disappointed. We wanted to come," said the Bergen County resident. "There would have been a bunch of C-3POs and R2-D2s running around. It would have added to the theatrics."

Yosco said he would have liked the screenings to go on as planned, but he could have done without the remastered versions. In the late 1990s -- with Lucas set to bring "Episode I" to theaters -- the three originals were remastered. To "Star Wars" purists, the new cuts are inferior.

The sixth and final screen installment of the "Star Wars" series, "Episode III," is scheduled to be released by Lucasfilms in May 2005, reports said.

For now, serious fans might just have to wait.

"We had thousands of people who would have loved to come out to see the screening," Gervasi said. "It would have been fun. But now it's a disappointment."

Source: NJ.com

4. Sabaccs_luck Jedi Knight

star 1
    Pitman New Jersey... Ha Ha Ha Ha. My mother and father lived there, my father was born there (or was that my mother, well the other lived in Philly). I went to Pitman many time when I was younger to visit grandparents. Aunts and uncle salavate at the very idea of some one driving by and maybe picking up some donuts at the pitman bakery. Jezz it's a small world... or, um galaxy I guess, if we are talking star wars.
    wow I remember catching fire flies, and feeding the ducks at the pond (those were some alien looking ducks).
  5. Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey guys, came across this blurb on the force.net today. Seems I was mistaken about the fan club up and running again. The price has gone up... well, read it for yourself:

As Star Wars blasts forward into Episode III and beyond, the Fan Club has come home to Lucasfilm for the first time since 1987, and is offering more to fans than ever before.
    To accomplish this, Lucasfilm has joined Hyperspace, Star Wars Insider and the Fan Club together for the first time. Membership in Hyperspace: The Official Star Wars Fan Club brings you the greatest benefits package ever. When you sign up with the Fan Club, you get:

-one year of access to starwars.com Hyperspace

-six-issue one year subscription to Star Wars Insider magazine

- membership kit

- discounts and early purchases at StarWarsShop.com

- access to member-only fan events

- interaction with your local and global fan community

All of this and much more are yours for a single annual membership price of just $39.95 in the U.S. and $49.95 in Canada.

--

So, it's probably still worth it, but I wonder what will happen to current subscribers?
  6. Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sure everyone has seen this, but for those that haven't, it seems that there might be a season three for Clone Wars cartoons!! Yep, you can read it all on the front page of theforce.net.

And the news that made my heart flutter....

Knights of the Old Republic II has been confirmed!! It will be out Feb '05, and is set 5 years after KOTOR. Some of the same characters will be in the game, and the setting is that the Sith have pretty much taken over the galaxy with your character being the last of the Jedi. Sounds cool!! I can't wait!!
  7. Rotag21 FanForce CR, New Hampshire

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Hi Guys,
    Just passing this on. It's LFL way of making you feel better about the new membership prices. I personnally am going to wait just abit before I do anything on this. I'm not very happy about , like I'm sure the rest of you are. But, I'm going to wait to see what some of the special look like & what they are doing for you 4 C3. Then I'll figure out what I want. Like most people I believe this is a way to save the Hyperspace part. Which I care nothing about myself.

Hey,
    One more thing. I believe I'll have time time tomorrow but I'm going to start a sing-up list for things people are going to bring to the Bake sale / Party !!!
    K........
    SeeYa!!
    TK

For Hyperspace members (NOT ME!) there was a chat this morning with Ghent (dunno who he is). This is at the TOS thread I linked to in my previous post:

Pabawan:Hey folks... let me start with a generic answer to "Hey -- why can't I get Hyperspace or the Insider seperately?"

Ghent: You wouldn't believe the amount of internal debate that happened on this very issue of what combinations to offer. While there is certainly some fundamental common sense to a general philosophy "more choice is better", sometimes the "4 Ps of marketing" (product, price, promotion, distribution -- don't ask) lead you to the conclusion to "keep it simple, s".

One of the most compelling reasons for Lucasfilm to undertake the task of bringing the whole fan club in-house was the overall confusion in the market place. There were many conflicting ways for fans to connect -- the online Hyperspace, buying the magazine at newsstand, subscribing to the magazine, subscribing to the magazine and joining the Fan Club for extra, Jawa Trader by phone, on-again-off-again stores, exclusive merchandise at different places, breakfasts, events... and none of them were interconnected in a way that was clear to fans.

After deciding to bring all of this under one operation, to go back out with an a la carte offering wasn't going to help confusion in the marketplace. The simple question of "Am I a member of the Fan Club or not?" wouldn't have a simple answer. Lucasfilm had a goal of making this a simple answer... are you a connected fan or not. If yes, all the benefits are at your finger tips, not just some.

The other huge consideration was the massive overlap in the audience. When we analyzed all the data, an overwhelming number of fans connected with us in two or more ways listed above... primarily Insider and Hyperspace subscribers. For this majority block, the new bundle is a 25% savings. Easy.

The other major goal we have this year is to unite the Star Wars fan base leading in to the last theatrical film and heading in to exciting new Star Wars ground beyond. Anything other than a simple, single message to casual fans who are starting to flock back around the DVD and Ep III marketing efforts this fall. We had to weigh this effect as a factor against the smaller numbers who are interested in just one component or another.

If you investigate, you'll find that our $39.95 bundle provides extremely high value compared to any similar fan experience be it offline or online clubs, other franchise-type magazine or site... you name it. Movie or non-movie. I'm definitely taking it as a personal challenge to make sure you agree it's the best $40 you've spent on Star Wars.

My retort? Then you didn't think very carefully.

Some folks who are minors or what not may not have the cash to pay for this membership, and their parents may be paying for it. $40 is quite a bit of money to lay down for some people and in this economy, it may be a price point they are not willing to pay.

I like my idea of different membership levels that I've layed out. This would help avoid the question in Ghent's response regarding, "Am I a fan or not". There's only 1 club. You become a member, but choose what you want to receive and be involved with.
  8. Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey guys, according to www.galactichunter.com, a special Biker Scout figure will be coming with the game. Not sure if this is something to do with a presell or what, but here's the link for the pic...

http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=2917&zoneid=2
  9. SithapprenticeDJ Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey guys, I just found out some great news. There is going to be a third season of the Clone War Cartoons. It's going to be starting on March 21 2005 and It will be continuing through to the 25th. There's going to be five additional chapters and here's the best part the new chapters will be twelve minutes long with very little commercials. I think that this is great news and at least there not going to leave the series hanging. March is a long time to wait for the next season but I can't wait till it gets here.
  10. Rotag21 FanForce CR, New Hampshire

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Hi Guy's ,
    Thought you may like to know this.
    SeeYa!!
    TK

Lucas Builds Animation Studio in Singapore

Email this Story

Aug 4, 7:43 AM (ET)

By YEOH EN-LAI

SINGAPORE (AP) - George Lucas, the man behind Star Wars and Indiana Jones, has teamed up with Singapore to set up his first animation studio and production house outside the United States, government and corporate officials said Tuesday.

The Lucasfilm venture is expected to be up and running in Singapore by 2005, the company's Chief Operating Officer Micheline Chau said.

"By having a base here in Singapore, we can create something new in animation, a style that will blend East and West and offer something not seen before," Lucas said in a recorded message at the launch.

His studios have produced five of the top 20 biggest grossing movies of all time and have won 19 Oscars.

Chau declined to reveal financial terms only saying the animation studio would be 75 percent owned by Lucasfilm with the rest by a "Singapore consortium" that would include the Economic Development Board, or EDB.

The EDB is the city-state's government arm tasked with wooing investment into Singapore.

"The venture could run into hundreds of millions of dollars ... eventually," said Chau, without elaborating.

Economic Development Board chairman Teo Ming Kian said Singapore had wooed Lucasfilm and saw it as a golden opportunity as the city-state shifts from a largely manufacturing base to a regional center for the arts and media.

The government has been actively courting media, arts and biotechnology firms to set up regional bases in Singapore as it loses its manufacturing business to lower-cost countries such as India and China.

When asked whether rule-bound Singapore's penchant for censorship would impede the company's creative impulses, Chau said: "We only intend to make family-friendly movies so I don't expect it to be a problem."

As many as 300 people could be involved in the venture, she said, working on movies, video games and TV programs.

---

On The Net:

Lucasfilm: www.lucasfilm.com

Singapore Economic Development Board: www.sedb.com

11. Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Master

star 4
    Can it be true??? We can only hope so....

"Harrison Ford might be returning to the role that made his name. Sources at Skywalker Ranch say Han Solo, Princess Leia and Co. are coming ou t of retirement for Star Wars 7, 8, and 9. Our spy revealed that workers a George Lucas' special effects division, ILM, have signed confidentiality agreements saying they won't divulge secrets aboutt he sequels - sparking rumours they're about to be made."
    -------

There are alot of rumors flying around since these NDAs have been signed. Will Ep 7-9 be made? My heart says yes, my head says no. Could the NDA be for the possible TV series that has been talked about? Who knows... but it does seem to be clear that something is up...
  12. Rotag21 FanForce CR, New Hampshire

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE!!!

AWESOME !!! :)

SeeYa!!
    TK
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.