main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive Star Wars: Night Life

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Vakama, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vakama

Vakama Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2004
    This RPG is about what the people do who aren't Jedi, aren't a Grand Emperor, and isn't a hero in the Rebel Alliance. This PRG is about the plain, ordinary civilians on the streets of Coruscant who have to work for a living. They wake up, go to their job, or school, come home, and go to bed, only to do it all over again tommorow. I want this RPG to capture what regular people do in the Star Wars Universe.

You could be a student, a weapons manufacterer, a bartender, or anything else that pops into your head. You could be part of a gang, or be a police officer trying to stop the flow of crime that tears up the streets. You choose, and run your own life, the way you see fit.

RULES:

No swearing
    If you are fighting, be fair.
    If you have a question or a comment, put it in an OOC and I will do my best to respond.
    Please try to interact with fellow players as much as possible.

Here is the Character Sheet

Name:
    Physical Appearence:
    Weapon(s):
    Vehicle:
    Relations:
    Short Bio:

I will have my CS up later, please join!

2. Vakama

Oct 17, 2004
    Does this not look appealing, or is it my icon that is scaring everyone away????

3. DreidelVader

DreidelVader Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2005
    Actually, it sounds frightfully dull. Why would anyone want to play a normal person in an rpg? Unless the idea is that the players start as ordinary people and then become extraordinary...

In which case, I would play a doctor named OB/GYN Kenobi.

4. QuiGonTim

QuiGonTim Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    unless it's like Seinfeild, you know...an RPG about nothing.....regular people with jobs who live next door to a gungan named Kramer and a Hut named Neuman.

5. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    *Appears with a poof*

Points! On this RPG...

So...

*Shuffles through some papers*

Speaking personally, the reason why I haven't joined this RPG is for some reasons. Its a little too loose in what you want to do. In contrast to Dreidel, I think this is a fine idea. I know alot of users, myself very much so included get tired of silly Jedi v. Sith hack and slash RPGs. So to me, the idea is strong...

The achilles heel it looks like is in your gameplay. Its too loose. So we can be whatever we want? This is fine, but where are all the characters? All they all on Coruscant, or in different parts of the galaxy? And where is the story? Well constructed RPGs have a plot, some sort of overruning rail on which the game can run. How will characters meet up / interact with eachother if they work helter-skelter? Plots serve to unify and progress characters laterally, with internal and external development.

Your idea is good, its simply just too broad. Not to mention that if people joined, it would be a hell of alot of work on the GM. Think about if, if you have a student, police officer, and mechanic, a.) who would they talk to? It would be only the GM as they are in totally different places. So you would have to IC an interaction for each of the three, as a University Professor, a Police Captain, and a Foreman, just to say for example.

Now if say.... you start off with a bunch of people, and they all happen to be in Imperial Square all at the same time when something happens and they have to come together to solve a mystery......... now you could be getting somewhere. And that would jive with your nightlife theme too.

If you need some more ideas, drop me a PM. I hope these tips will help you to make a more successful game in the future.

6. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    To be frank, extraordinary people - the majority of characters in RPGs within the RPF - give me...well, grief. Not everyone can save the galaxy, or be a Jedi, or a Sith...or a Fallen Jedi, who redeems themselves by saving the galaxy. Or the galaxy's most cunning bounty hunter... :p

These so-called "ordinary" or "dull" people are the most interesting, according to me. It is far better to start off with someone who is "ordinary," and transform them into someone great, than to start with someone great and no know where to go from there.

7. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    Imperial Square. Witness to an Underground Mob/Mafia murder. Running for their lives and fighting their way out, trying to just survive the night.

NAY.

Where were you when the droids attacked? Droids rampage through the city, our characters trapped in a large night club and trying to make their way to the safety of the Jedi temple.

8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    If you're going to have yet another Jedi-centric game, at least make your characters flawed.

The problem with this game is that it's not really about anything.

9. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    But that can be a positive, as I see it. It can mean that it is character focused, and requires players who are able to both develop their characters, and their individual stories. That's the impression I get from this game, and I would be far more inclined to join this, than to join a "Jedi vs. Sith" or "Sith Insurgency" game... [face_plain]

Sorry, but we're turning this into a discussion...

10. DreidelVader

Dec 21, 2005
    Gee whiz, Hammer, you've actually convinced me!
    Would you be interested in adopting a newbie like myself?

11. DreidelVader

Dec 21, 2005
    OR!

Characters are in a bar. Order 66 is called for. Chaos ensues. Asking who was responsible for all the deaths at the Temple, someone points to the PCs and shouts "They did it!" The characters must run from the bar to a waiting off-world ship owned by one of the players, all the while fighting off rival gangs who want revenge for the deaths of so many jedi.

And one of the gangs has to have painted faces, and carry staffs, because the Baseball Furies were scary as heck.

12. Vakama

Oct 17, 2004
    Fine, then stop spamming my thread. The authorities here are out to get me (trust me, I know) and I can't get a Non SW RP up, so I will try an other one. NaboosPrincess, please lock this down.

13. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    With a little more of a plotline, I might have joined :(

If you PM the mod and provide the link, she'll get it locked pretty quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.