main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars novelizations - released before the movies?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DBZGTKOSDH, Sep 8, 2014.

1. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Ahhh, gotta love numbers!!! ;)

ANH book: November 12, 1976 (first edition was a paperback, released 194 days before the movie)
    ANH movie: May 25, 1977

TESB book: April 12, 1980 (first edition was a paperback, released 39 days before the movie)
    TESB movie: May 21, 1980

RotJ book: May 12, 1983 (first edition was a paperback, released 13 days before the movie)
    RotJ movie: May 25, 1983

TPM book: April 21, 1999 (first edition was a hardcover, released 28 days before the movie)
    TPM movie: May 19, 1999

AotC book: April 23, 2002 (first edition was a hardcover, released 24 days before the movie)
    AotC movie: May 16, 2002

RotS book: April 2, 2005 (first edition was a hardcover, released 47 days before the movie)
    RotS movie: May 19, 2005

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I read SW, ESB, and about half of RotJ before any of those movies were released. So the second half of RotJ was the only part of the OT that I saw unspoiled.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Vthuil likes this.
  4. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    They've already gone against tradition with the release date, haven't they? Just another one to demolish.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Oh well, if they do that for Episode 7, saves me buying a book at least.

If they want me to read it after the film, Stover or nothing.

6. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I didn't know Alan Dean Foster did the new Star Trek novelizations (and why the hell would I). I guess they'd want him to do Star Wars again?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Bring back Alan Dean Foster so Ducks can be back in Star Wars canon. I approve! Luke still won't know what they are!

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Traviss's The Clone Wars novelization was also released on July 26, 2008, twenty days before the American release of the film.

I'll probably read the Ep. VII novelization. Vanity Fair had a great article on novelizations a couple of weeks ago. I think it was JJM who shared it on facebook.

BigAl6ft6 and eddie1969 like this.
  9. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Lol of course, wouldn't want to spoil the dense mystery plots of those Rubik's cubes.

Ordo Skirata and Gorefiend like this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I wonder who'll do the junior novelizations?

Patricia C. Wrede did the PT, Ryder Windham did the OT. Will they get someone new, or return to Ryder Windham who has a lot of experience writing junior Star Wars books, and not-so-junior background books like The Essential Guide to the Force.

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

How did they even write novels about it?! The plot of those two could fit on the back of a napkin.

Sarge likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I would not read the Ep. 7 novelization before the film because I'm planning to get the ST novelizations in mass market paperback. My OT novelizations are a big 3 novel combo from the early 90s, HCs of all the PT movies, so I'm gonna vary it up and get the ST in paperback, which would be after the release anyway.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Read the hardbacks in store!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Seriously. The ROTS novel IS SO GOOD.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    To quote user cdgodin in the thread

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-nu-continuity-timeline-source-list.50019912/page-20

Observe:

So December 22nd seems to be when a whole whack of Force Awakens content is released, could that be an indication that the novelization will come after Ep. 7 is out?

16. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm pretty sure Zahn won't be writing for Star Wars anytime soon, as the Legends announcement has made all of his contributions to the franchise completely superfluous.

17. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    You're right. Timothy Zahn totally strikes me as a vindictive and bitter author.

Unlike, say, John Jackson Miller and James Luceno.

Vthuil and Vialco like this.
  18. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I heard an interview where Zahn said he'd be happy to write Star Wars despite the reboot. He did say that he'd reference Legends and that there were always ways he could explain away contradictions; that's not too unlike what Luceno said. I get the impression that Zahn loves writing Star Wars and if they want him to write a book he'd do so withouth a second thought.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Zahn is such a stand up guy, and has a great sense of humor, which is mandatory in order to write something like An Apology, and his editor, Betsy Mitchell, suggested that Jacen's time in the Imperial Palace may have been a contributing factor to his "fall" in HttE: 20th Anniversary Edition, but I wouldn't be surprised if Zahn believed in that too.

Iron_lord likes this.