main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Star Wars on DVD

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by RogueScribner, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Classic SW Movies Headed to DVD

Reuters UK has the Hollywood Reporter story on the Classic Star Wars movies making their way to DVD!
    "Star Wars Trilogy," one of the most-requested DVD episodic film franchises, is expected to be released as a four-disc DVD box set on September 21.

A global rollout on DVD is expected within days of the domestic release, according to Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.

The trilogy, featuring the classic franchise films "Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi," will be released on three DVD discs, with a fourth disc likely to hold a newly made documentary about the "Star Wars" franchise and never-before-seen footage, among several other bonus materials, said Jim Ward, Lucasfilm's vice president of marketing and distribution and the DVD trilogy's executive producer.

"We are currently in the process of restoring and remastering all three titles for the DVD release, so we're still working on details of the marketing strategy," Ward said. "But I believe that it is safe to say that it will receive tremendous exposure across all media."

Lucasfilm and Fox chose the September release date to maximise on holiday gift buying during the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons, 20th Century Fox president Mike Dunn said.

"We sold about 17 million VHS 'Star Wars' units during two fall release periods in '95 and '97," he said.

ETA: There will be a commentary by George Lucas for the films, BTW.

L8r

2. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    SW on DVD: Why Just the Special Editions?

The NY Post has more info on the Classics headed to DVD. Here's an excerpt from the Special Edition question:

Instead, the DVDs will include the much-debated versions director Lucas released in the '90s with new digital effects and plot twists that softened the character of Han Solo - even though DVD makes it easy to offer both the original and director's cut of a movie.

It's simply a matter of an artist's right, says Jim Ward, a Lucasfilm vice president and the executive producer of the set.

"We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this one."

The original "Star Wars" from 1977 is the second-highest-grossing movie of all time in the U.S. (behind "Titanic" ), and all three "Star Wars" movies in the trilogy still rank in the Top 20.

BOO!

L8r

3. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Ok, well we can all complain about only the Special Editions coming out, or rejoice at the fact that we will no longer have to put up with pirate copies of the OT if we want to watch them on DVD. High-quality saber fights, millenium falcon chases and ewoks are coming our way...I'm happy.

*tear of joy

4. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm not against the SE so much as against the idea that Lucas has foresaken the O-OT. That idea disturbs me greatly. A lot of people worked really hard on those films and to erase their work in favor of new computer effects, to alter the films tonally (which he has), to say that the SE is the new OT is just wrong. For historical purposes Lucas should have a cleaned up archive version of the pre-1997 film negatives. I don't think he does. In fact, I've read speculation that the negatives no longer exist and it the SEs truly are the new OT. That's just freaky.

I love Star Wars. Warts and all.

The Special Editions can never replace that.

L8r

5. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that Lucas has the originals somewhere, in perfect condition. True, no one would win the bet because I doubt we'll find out, but it is just a gut feeling.

Plus, he has been "toying" with them since release. It's funny how no one complains that it says "Episode IV: A New Hope" when, originally, it just said Star Wars when it was released. The fact is, before the Special Editions, they were already tinkered with, just very, very little.

I'll be the first to openly admit that I dislike some of the changes he made, but I completely agree with him only releasing whatever versions he wishes. They are his, and if he were to say, "To hell with the fans, and to hell with everyone that worked on them," I'd support his comments all the way. Would I like the originals to be released? Yes, of course. However, I will not lose any sleep over it, not even a second of sleep.

After saying all of that, I'd also be willing to bet that they will be re-released on DVD in the future with some Uber Editions of all six films.

Hell, I still wonder what most people would think if he completely re-filmed the original trilogy with new actors, new stories, and still made them Episodes IV, V, and VI, same titles, everything. There would be a fan community war. =)

Brandon

6. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    There's a difference between adding a title or looping a line and redoing visual effects, adding new scenes, and/or changing the context of scenes entirely. Yes, it is Lucas' to do with as he pleases, but I still see value in the O-OT. The SE's are neat little curiosities to me, not replacement films. Call me crazy.

L8r

7. Ruckus

Ruckus Jedi Master star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    YEAH!!! Finally the reason I bought into the whole DVD thing 6 years ago was for the Star Wars trilogy which should have been out such a long time ago...
    The only thing that really irks me about the Special Edition is the scene with Greedo and Han!!!! I can sorta stomach the Jabba scene- but... come on- like in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back- the Greedo shooting first is a really stupid idea!!! The added bits in the other movies were good- I accepted it. Thank god he didn't replace the the blasters with walkie talkies!!! I hope he doesn't read this and get some damn fool idea to do so. I did like seeing Dash Rendar's ship in the Special Ed. of Star Wars.

8. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Funny, Brandon, I was watching A New Hope last night and my friend was amazed at himself that he'd begun calling Star Wars, A New Hope. He had always complained about that change until he got washed away by it. But as you know, I've always been a proponent of the originals being made available. A short answer is that I like the song I grew up with that won the Grammy. Do I like the remix? Sure, but I'm being told I can't hear the original on current media.

Does he have an obligation to release it on DVD- heck no, but I do think it's a slap in the face to the first generation fans, the AFI (that voted the original into the top films ever made), and the original makers? Of course. Anyone who's ever read a Lucas biography can understand that George likes to hold grudges, and hates to be pushed around in anyway. Despite that, like Frodo, on an endless quest, and mixed metaphor, toward certain Doom- I will stand vigil waiting for my beloved holy trilogy to return, rags and all.

For those of us that hope to give our hard-earned $ to any release of Star Wars and have some love for the real originals, for your consideration: www.originaltrilogy.com

And yes, I'm happy we'll have official DVDs soon. Pretty good birthday present, along with the Hamill chat yesterday. -Campbell

9. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    A reader of TheDigitalBits.com just recently posted the following regarding the sound of e4. Sounds like great news to me as the sound of the 1977 episode, even revamped in 97, sounds muffled and varied from shot to shot. -Campbell

3/08/04
    I spoke with Ben Burtt recently. He mentioned the upcoming Star Wars DVDs. It seems that they were able to go back and digitize all of the original tracks and rebuild the show from scratch. For the previous Theatrical Special Editions they were only able to go back and re-mix and edit from the pre-mixes which were sonically limited by the analogue recording and reproduction systems of the time. Since Ben was responsible for archiving all of the sound on A New Hope, all of the sounds were able to be found except for a couple of foley tracks which I'm assuming will be re-done. So it seems that we will be hearing Star Wars in a way we've never heard it before. He did not mention if Empire and Jedi would be receiving the same treatment.

10. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I broke down and bought the classic trilogy on DVD off of ebay. I couldn't help it. As soon as I heard that the fall release was SE only I flipped. The DVDs are rips from the laserdiscs, so they're good.

L8r

11. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    Just have to share - I just bought a home entertainment center last week and watched Phantom Menace to test out the sound system last night. It ROCKED! I love it! It was awesome to watch the cut scenes and things I've never seen before. Without a DVD system I've been so deprived and now I see the light!! Yea!
    Melanie

12. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    HMMM WHATS MY OPINION.....I dont maind any of it... well Im a greeto fan though so I like greeto shooting first...i think.....hmmm.....i dont know

Im a swinger on this one

13. tristan458

tristan458 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    Swinger? Ive tried that before, had a lot of fun. Might do it again if I can find another girl thats into that stuff.

14. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Dale let me know when the ettiqete nazi gets on ya about your posts. I wonder if she has double standards?

15. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    dale a swinger? Im gettig weird pictures in my head here...hey dale, I know two x-marines

16. tristan458

tristan458 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    Swinger you know, me and two girls, couple swapping that type of thing. Oh its fun. Lots of fun, especially when you go to the "ranch". Just a big party going on with about 30 couples doing everything with everybody. Boy I miss those days.

Dale

17. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    I have no response to that. :)

TheDigitalBits reports more rumors on the 18th (yesterday):

Yeah, we know this is going to get some people's undies in a bunch again... but we can say with some confidence now that when Lucasfilm and Fox release the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD in September, the films ARE going to include new footage. We've confirmed "unofficially" with three separate sources, each in positions to know, that at least SOME new footage is being added to the films, and that more special effects enhancements, tweaks and fixes are being done. We're also told that Lucasfilm MAY include additional deleted scenes for the trilogy on the bonus disc, separate from the material added into the films themselves (rather like they've done with Episodes I & II). We've been told of at least a few changes that have been made, but we're going to wait to confirm them better before we post anything. So, okay... we're now officially intrigued. We'll post more when we can.

18. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Pictures of the new packaging have now appeared on Hyperspace. One side features the heroes of the saga and the reverse has a picture of Vader's helmet bowed that may be one of my favorite Star Wars images in years. -Campbell

19. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Anyone got a copy of that pic they'd like to share? :D

L8r

20. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    you have to be a Hyperspace member to see it- nannie nannie b- whoops, sorry. Gotta be mature. Check your Admin e-mail. Campbell

21. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    The Digital Bits posted the pics, so I figure it's fair game. Here they are:

[image=http://roguezeppo.com/images/swdvd01.jpg]

[image=http://roguezeppo.com/images/swdvd02.jpg]

L8r

22. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    Still not as cool as the cover for "Star Ballz."

Seriously, that might be the second best cover for the films I have seen. The best is still the limited release THX enhanced widescreen non-Special Edition VHS tapes, limited to only 10,000. Thankfully, I managed to snag number six-thousand-and-something (it is in the other room).

Brandon

23. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    I've not been able to get it to play, but this site purports to have clips of Lucas's commentary from the forthcoming DVD. I especially want to hear the clip from the Han and Greedo scene.

24. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Yeah me too.. I think I could use a good laugh at that point in the movie to hear why he screwed one of the best parts in the whole mysterious Han Solo story. I mean- Han seemed like such a bad ass when he did that and the flipping the credit to the bartender was classic- but then Lucas gays it up with Han making this gay head weave move and then shooting!!!! OMG! What the hell was he thinking? I think everytime I see Star Wars I blank out when that happens and when I come to that scene never took place....

25. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    New Star Wars DVD Details from dvd.ign.com

March 31, 2004 - We've gotten some more details on what will be found on the Star Wars Trilogy DVDs, due September 21. All three films will be in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen with English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX encoding, plus, English, Spanish Dolby and French Dolby Surround.

Disc 1: Star Wars: A New Hope
    Commentary by George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

Disc 2: The Empire Strikes Back
    Commentary by George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

Disc 3: Return of the Jedi
    Commentary by George Lucas, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

Disc 4: The bonus disc contents are unconfirmed at the moment, but according to information on Best Buy's e-commerce site, disc four will contain the feature-length documentary Star Wars: The Independent Films plus three production featurettes: The Evolution of Characters, The Influence of Star Wars and Lightsabers/Fights plus a 1977 "making of" featurette, a comprehensive gallery of posters and production artwork and a demo for Star Wars: Battlefront for Xbox.

includes the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced on the Star Wars saga; and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films, and much more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.