main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Star Wars on DVD

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by RogueScribner, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    A demo for a video game? You have got to be kidding me. There is no excuse to have that on there, none whatsoever, and the fact it is there will only detract from the rest of the disc. It will just "feel" cheesy. Bummer.

The people involved in the commentaries, too, don't sound that great (Lucas, of course, being an exception), and the bonus disc does not sound all THAT impressive.

However, I am assuming, hoping, that there will be a super set released someday down the road when all six films are available. One bonus disc for three films is simply not enough.

Brandon

2. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    On the 8th TheDigitalBits.com's Rumor Mill posted a picture and short article about possible changes made for the new DVDs. The picture is billed on fansites as being Ian McDiarmid added into Empire. This is a change I can rally behind. The monkey-eyed old-lady Emperor didn't really move me. This is worth a look if you're following the developments.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

And on the video game demo or preview, if this materializes I just hope it's buried toward the end like this type of thing has been on so many discs. Lord of the Rings, Matrix, and Hulk movies have featured this sort of thing and never has it gotten in my way. Nor has it added any real value to my set, though. If I thought the home video market was going to disappear so that these discs would be my only versions of the films I might care about perfect content as added value material. As it is now, and the future, I expect I'll buy a new media version of the holy trilogy(-ies) about as often as I buy a vehicle.

On commentaries; I think so few people even listen to these things I'm amazed that they still make them. The Criterion folks and the laserdisc contingent, with which I proudly march(ed), seem to be the last people that really care about this feature.

But disagreeing aside, I am stunned that they won't just release double disc sets of each flick. I believe this 4-disc set is a holdover in answer to all our begging that Lucas release ANY type of OT dvds. There is SO MUCH documented about these movies, including material from all previous releases and the PBS specials and random retrospectives that it's pretty naive to believe there is less than we've seen on the prequel discs.
    -Campbell

3. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    So I was half-watching Jedi tonight and I think I saw Prowse unmasked. This is probably something many people know about, but I just spotted it. About 51 minutes in, 3PO says, "'exciting' is hardly the word I would use." Isn't that David Prowse on the right side of the screen?

4. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    from the Digital Bits (5 May):

There has been speculation for months now that when the Star Wars films are finally released on DVD (on 9/21), the versions we get will feature new scenes, updated effects and other changes from the 1997 Special Edition versions. We've been reporting here at the Bits for some time now that our inside sources were telling us that at least some additional changes were being made to the films for the DVD release. Well... we finally have official confirmation of this. While we don't know anything official about specific changes, Lucasfilm's "fan relations" guru Steve Sansweet had this to say this weekend, while speaking at the WonderCon convention in San Francisco:

When asked if the forthcoming DVDs would feature the original theatrical release versions of the trilogy or the Special Editions, Sansweet answered that the films contained on the discs would be the incarnations of the films "as George Lucas sees them today." He reminded people of the 1995 video release of the trilogy that hailed itself as the last time the original theatrical cuts would ever be available. "They weren't kidding," Sansweet noted.

from Campbell:
    Some of us are going to see this as Papa's will, thus it is Perfect, and Undeniable. I see it as a stubborn old man that hates anybody telling him what to do (like releasing the original theatrical cuts alongside spiffy updates). I just hope 95% of the changes are to the changes already made. But knowing Lucas we'll probably have a rock musical interlude after Greedo misses Han where they both agree it was a miracle and should just try and get along.

5. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I just can't bring myself to purchase this DVD set. I want the films of my youth, not Lucas' current bastardization of them. I plunked down a good amount of money to get a DVD set of the classic trilogy a couple of months ago. I'm sticking with those until Lucas sees fit to acknowledge his original work.

L8r

6. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    You will be waiting forever, and in no way, shape, or form will you or three or four other people not purchasing them do a single thing. He, thankfully, could care less.

My most prized Star Wars item in my collection is the widescreen THX enhanced versions of the original trilogy that came out in, what, 1995, 1996? I believe there were only 10,000 made in total, mine is listed as seven-thousand-and-something, and from what my parents told me at the time (they got it for me as a Christmas gift), it was exceedingly hard to find because of how many people wanted them. Out of every available release so far of the first three films (laserdisc, VHS, whatever else there is), I think this version has THE best packaging ever. It is simply outstanding.

Still, I don't think anyone owns the original versions of any of them. They have been tinkered with since 1977, and, hopefully, he will continue to do so. I'm happy with my nifty VHS versions and my own fan-film versions, which, honestly, are vastly superior to *anything* currently out there. Yes, for real.

I, for one, still cannot wait. Oddly, I was more excited to pick up Peter Pan the other day than I am about these... odd.

Brandon

7. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Well, my opinions on this subject vary A LOT from most of you. Yes, you, we, whoever, love the original trilogy. Who doesn't? Either way, the movies ARE George Lucas', no one elses. They are not the fans', they are not mine, they are not ILM's. We have no say in what Lucas wants. Bringing the music thing back again (we're watching Amadeus in class) Mozart wanted what HE wanted, and 300 years later, it is hailed as perfect. Why? Because in his eyes they WERE perfect, even if others (yes even the EMPEROR) thought his works were faulty in one or two ways. Parallel to that instance, George Lucas wants to create his films perfectly. Now, whether embellishing with idiotic Jar Jars or CGIs is part of his vision, I give the man the right to do this. We may not like it, hell, we may even hate him for it, but it's HIS saga. Without him, NONE of it would be here for us to enjoy. If you don't like the special editions, live with it, and stick to your OT copy...they will NOT be re-released, so cry a river, build a bridge and GET OVER IT.

8. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    [image=http://roguezeppo.com/images/starwars/rotjghost.jpg]

L8r

9. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Assuming everyone lives in my world, the only DVD release that comes close to the big news of Star Wars coming out in a few months is that Universal and NBC appear to be ready to announce the arrival of MIAMI VICE on DVD.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1580

I'm so excited I may not wear socks to work today. -Campbell

10. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    I will pre-order mine ASAP. Very, very cool news.

Brandon

11. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    In my continuing effort to stay off-topic (my apologies, but I know you folks don't want me starting new threads just for these small rants):
    The Star Wars Holiday Special was mentioned in the USA Today yesterday. It was a feature about offshoots of movies aimed at helping promote sequels. I wonder how many people found Empire Strikes Back, not because it was the sequel to that Star Trek, or Wars, or whatever, movie, but because it had the same characters they fell in love with when they watched the Wookiee LifeDay celebration show.
    Good stuff, huh.

Wish I could pre-order THAT. Sigh. -Campbell ;)

12. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I couldn't make it through the whole thing. I skipped ahead to the Boba Fett cartoon and then stopped. Oy.

L8r

13. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    First, two controversial platitudes (discuss among yourselves):
    a) The Holiday Special holds a lot more creativity and worthwhile material than most people give it credit for and comes from an era when cheeseball variety shows were popular and the name Star Wars slapped on something would sell it big.
    b, and wholly out of leftfield) The best two items from the Shadows of the Empire marketing blitz were the soundtrack and the Boushh/Han in Carbonite figure.

And then...
    Word on the net seems pretty certain that we'll get Ian McDiarmid playing the Emperor in the OT DVDs, and Hayden as a ghost in RotJ. I like both ideas. Also, Naboo probably will be one of the places jumping for joy in VI as well, but that's not a big surprise.

14. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    I have yet to see any type of confirmation anywhere about any more changes to the films. I'm not holding my breath; however, I will not be surprised if there are changes.

To change Anakin would be, to me, disgusting and not in the least bit needed. It makes zero sense, and absolutely no one watching them will be "confused" if it is not Hayden appearing there. In fact, if anything, it will make the scene seem cheesy to have Luke's dad appear *younger* than Luke himself. That will simply destroy the scene and any meaning it has.

Brandon

15. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    I think it may not destroy the scene, but I wonder who'll be under the helmet when Luke and Anakin speak on the Death Star. To me, the heart of the ghost scene is that Luke acknowledges his mentors, smiles, and Returns to the living. Returns to his friends and family.

16. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Ok maybe we have discussed this, but doesn't ANYONE get the problem here? If Vader stays young in that scene, then why the hell would Yoda and Ben have their old selves? Wouldn't they have to change the characters to Ewan and some young, young, YOUNG version of Yoda?

It just wouldn't make any sense, and it would add to the questions in the back of Insider.
    "Why is Anakin young at the end of ROTJ?" -Insert long, bogus answer here-

17. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    I agree with Stefanie in that they should all be younger, too, then if Anakin is.

The fact remains that there is no *reason* to have Hayden there, none at all. If your "ghost form," so to speak, if the way you were when you died, then the fact is that he died much older than when he "turned" to Vader in Ep.III. When Luke removes the mask and sees his father, THAT is him, at that moment, and that is how he should appear (minus the huge gash in his head and the solid white face).

Put yourself in Luke's place, please, do it for a moment. You are standing there, everyone is happy. The Ewoks are singing their wonderful song, the Universe itself is at peace. Leia hugs you, you think a sexual thought but then remember she is your sister, 3PO dances, Han and Lando embrace. Everyone is just giddy. You turn around, you have just defeated the Ultimate Evil, that being both Vader and the Emperor. The Death Star is destroyed. Obi-Wan appears... you are happy and smile warmly. Yoda appears... you are happy and smile warmly... then 20-something appears looking like he is from 1960's Earth and a part of a peace demonstration! Who is this guy?! Where is my dad? My dad!

IF young Anakin appears there, why not have Jake Lloyd do it? Hell, why not go younger and have a new born with his cord still attached sitting there on the hand rail next to Yoda.

No, fact is if Hayden is in that scene, it *will* lose all meaning and undermine the credibility of the entire film. Then again, Jedi is probably the worst film of the bunch, so that is not hard to do.

Again, I highly doubt it will be changed, but if it is, I will be angry. Yes, MORE angry than Greedo firing first. No joke.

Brandon

18. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Perhaps we have different philosophies on why he's younger. This is all assuming the pictures making the rounds are correct and Anakin does look like his e3 self, and I'll work under your assumption that Sebastian Shaw stays as Vader with the lid off. I believe that these Jedi appear as they did at the end of the line for their good selves. Since Vader was such a corruption of his original spirit, the good man that was Anakin gets billing as the friendly ghost. If his ghost is going to be the same age as when he dies, why would it not be bald and have the gash? I think a friendly "undamaged old-codger version" of Anakin makes no more sense than a "just before his innocence was lost-version."

As far as Luke not recognizing Anakin. That falls into the category of means to tell a story. I think a son will recognize a spirit form Jedi father regardless of the physical. The Force is with them, always, it seems. -Campbell

19. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm opposed to the change as well, but the argument is that Anakin literally died when he became Vader, that Vader is a separate entity entirely from Anakin, and then Anakin is resurrected at the end of ROTJ which is why his spirit appears so young. I don't like this theory, I don't want it to be true. I didn't particulary jones to the ending of ROTJ anyway, but this just makes it 100 times worse. Another needless change in an effort to prequelize the OT.

L8r

20. JediScout

JediScout Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    I cant wait for this date to arrive.

21. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    And on such an auspicious day as well. The birthday of the conspicuously absent, Sarah.

22. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Click here to get the latest confirmed and rumored changes to the films on DVD. Scroll about halfway down the page and you'll see the highlighted post by DaMovieMan.

L8r

23. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    After keeping up with ALL of that, it's interesting to point out that absolutely nothing there has been confirmed in any way.

I would still not be surprised if we didn't see one ainsgle change.

It'll be interesting to sit down and watch them in September.

Brandon

24. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I've seen the revised Han/Greedo scene. It looks way too polished for it to be fan made. So I think changes are coming . . . .

L8r

25. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    As someone who happily lives more of my life in the real world, as opposed to "online," I still found myself wanting to spend all weekend in front of the incoming ComiCon stories. For better or worse, working 24 hours in 2 days prevented such a luxury. One story I was able to follow was the impending dvd release of many of the EU Star Wars videos (no, the Original OT, nor the Holiday Special, is slated).

Here's part of a report from GalacticHunter's Adam Pawlus:
    In addition to feature-laden goods on the Trilogy set, several other Star Wars DVDs are in production before next year. The first 20 episodes of The Clone Wars will be out around Easter, just in time for the final five 12-minute installments to air. (It was also confirmed that the opening crawl for Revenge of the Sith will talk about the events in these five episodes.)
    Old-time fans, or fans like me who were still young when the movies were supposedly done for good back in 1983, had their worlds shaken by the announcement of three more DVD sets. Collections for the Ewok movies Caravan of Courage (aka The Ewok Adventure) and Ewoks: The Battle for Endor, Ewoks (1985-1986, 26 episodes), and Droids (1985, 13 episodes) are all on the way, supposedly in time for the December holidays. Wow! No features were discussed, but for a lot of fans, this is a significant missing (and often silly) part of the Expanded Universe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.