main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Star Wars on DVD

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by RogueScribner, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    One JediScout and I have tossed around the idea of trying to take the Tuesday that brings the release of the OT DVDs to our hands and having a bit of a marathon. Any thoughts on that idea? Some of us no doubt want a solitary viewing to absorb the new version and there's nothing wrong with that. I expect to be watching it countless times in the future, and I have far less respect for this being the "true" version, so this new twisting of the original is just this year's model, and a good excuse to sit down with friends watching the holy trilogy. -Campbell

2. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I have school that night, but I should be able to partake in at least part of a marathon if it happens. Or I could just skip school that night. ;)

L8r

3. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    4 WEEKS AWAY.

4. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    OMG OMG OMG!!! We are finally in September! 20 More Days! I will pee my pants!

5. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Had a weird experience today. Went in to check prices on DVDs in FYE when lo and behold, they're playing Return of the Jedi. But not just any Return of the Jedi. The one we covet; the promised land 13 days hence.

Unfortunately, it was the tail end of the rancor scene (which may have looked better, the glare made scrutiny difficult). And no known improvements happen around that part of the movie. My business short, I only stayed in the shop for about 10 minutes, but I did get to hold the empty box the employees had plundered to advertise such wonder.

We're getting there folks. Will it be superior? How will the fans generally react? All will be revealed in a fortnight, same Bat-channel. -Campbell

6. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    So now the day is here. I've held many copies of the set in my hands, but alas, my time will only come when FYE opens. Word has it that Dale and the 501st made the Virgin pre-release party quite a sight to behold. Wish I'd been there.

There's been some rumbling about the sound quality on the DVDs so I'm anxious to see what all the hubbub is about. Here's an interesting excerpt from TheDigitalBits:

(LATE UPDATE - 9/20/04 - 10:30 PM PDT)

Well... Lucasfilm has responded to our questions about the audio issue on the DVD of Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope with a blanket statement of denial. Here's the exact text:

"We are always impressed with how closely fans listen to the many different sound mixes we have made for the Star Wars movies over the years. It is flattering to know that, indeed, the audience is listening. Consequently, each mix comes out differently and any changes that you hear on the all-new Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX tracks on the Star Wars Trilogy DVD set are deliberate creative decisions. We can confirm that there are no technical glitches as reported."

Now here's my response. I don't buy it. The audio quality of that Tarkin line can't be anything other than a technical issue, probably a problem with the original audio element of the dialogue, and Lucasfilm doesn't want to cop to that on the eve of the big release. When you guys hear it tomorrow, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Tarkin's "Then name the system!" line sounds terrible. As far as dialing down the trumpet fanfare during the Death Star attack (in fact, much of Williams' music during the first part of the attack has been reduced in volume in the mix)... I can see that could be a creative decision. It's a decision I absolutely HATE, but okay, maybe that's a creative decision. You guys will have to see what you think when you get the discs.

As far as the reversed music in the surrounds issue - it's going to be very hard for the average listener to detect. We've heard from a number of sources, however, who claim to hear it. In fact, that's how we originally became aware of the problem ourselves. Still, in light of Lucasfilm's denial, we'd like more of you die hard audiophiles to give this disc a listen yourselves and see if you hear it too.

We'll keep looking into this, so stay tuned...

7. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I have not had time to dissect every part of the trilogy, but having attained it yesterday morning, I was able to view A New Hope and a few select scenes from Jedi.

Of course, I HAD to watch the ending of Jedi, with Anakin. Very strange, and I am still a bit upset but I know that Lucas has his reasons, so all is well.

Now, my biggest pet peeve has been the rancor scene, totally ANNOYING with those matte lines. WELL, I saw it and I swear, I was jumping up and down screaming. It was so beautiful, I almost cried...

A New Hope looks amazing. The image is beautiful (even on a crappy little 20 inch screen) and crisp; it looks just like the prequels. Now as far as sound, I can't say much since I don't have the appropriate system to analyze it. Jabba looks a bit weird, but I suppose we'll get used to him. Han and Greedo shooting, well, they do do it exactly at the same time, so it looks pretty well done. I like it...

All I can say is that I am extremely happy. Once again, Lucas has done it!

8. JediScout

JediScout Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    They dont do it at the same time. I hate the fact that Greedo fires first, but if you go slow motion you can see Greedos blaster shot coming out first.

9. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I watched the doc on disc 4. Man, I was drooling over that first 90 minutes or so! It only proves that there is still a wealth of untapped archival footage in the vaults and an ultimate edition will hit once next generation DVD hits.

L8r

10. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    I can't type long but the SW DVD preview party at my place went well. These were great movies (of course), good food and wonderful company. A revolving door of friends stopped by towards the end.
    All in all a good time had by all I believe.

Melanie

11. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Indeed there was.

I've gone over just about every spot on the dvds and can say I'm very happy as well. I actually really like some of the e4 emoting Jabba does, I love that the explosions of the Death Stars are different than that of Aldaraan, and the Rancor scene redeemed that scene after I'd cringed for years at it.

And as much as I like the prequels, it was really nice to see some documentaries with no McCallum or Sansweet contribution. Hoo-ahh.

12. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I LOVE this set. I've watched every film 3 times now, and the picture is unbelievable, even on my tiny 20 inch TV. I hope to get a better one soon, but at least it's a flat screen, so the image is pretty sharp.

13. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
  14. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Very well said. That one's a classic.

15. JEDI_MISFIT138

Jun 6, 2003
    Kinda funny, but people really need to get over it already.

16. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm not staying up nights worried about Han vs. Greedo. I just thought the comic was kinda funny.

L8r

17. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    I thought the comic was quite funny and thank you for sharing the link. I can always use a good smile or chuckle. THank you!

Melanie

18. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    For the record, and I'm not looking for a fight, but saying we should just get over it is a controversial statement that steps on my toes. Just know there are other opinions out there that are held as strongly as your own.

19. JEDI_MISFIT138

Jun 6, 2003
    Agreed. I didn't mean to offend. Like I said, I thought it was kinda clever, it just irks me sometimes that after seven years people still go on about it. Oh well, to each their own. Sorry for stepping on your "toes". :D

20. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Return of the Jedi

01:59:20

"DIE, DICKHEADS!"

[face_laugh]

I never would have heard it if it wasn't pointed out to me, but now I can't help but hear it. Heh heh.

L8r

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.