main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Star Wars on DVD

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Yeah, I'm not sure if anyone, outside the main leads, actually speaks with the actor's own voice. All the extra Imperial officers were replaced with American voices. You can tell with those guys who talk to Vader on the Tantive. Aunt Beru's voice was replaced.

On one of the AOTC dvd docos, they show a dubbing session with the actress who played Zam Wesell.

2. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    starwars.com are listing Empire of Dreams screening on the Aust/NZ History channel on September 18th. That's four days before the dvd release, so I guess we get to check it out early :)

3. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    Empire of Dreams

what is Empire of Dreams if I may ask?

-Mel

4. DrMaul

DrMaul Jedi Master star 1

Dec 24, 2000
    > Empire of Dreams

From http://swnz.dr-maul.com/moretext.php?request=20040812 ... "Featuring all-new interviews with Lucas and more than 40 members of the cast and crew from all three films, EMPIRE OF DREAMS also includes appearances by a host of filmmakers and media personalities, along with never-before-seen behind-the-scenes footage from the making of the three films"

5. DrMaul

Dec 24, 2000
    > DrMaul, tell my wife to work harder!

;) don't worry, once she's lulled into a false sense of security, everyone else will go on holiday. Seriously though, we couldn't do without her at the moment! And, no one else knows what I'm talking about, so I'll shut up now.

6. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    wow that sounds great, thanks DrMaul! ;)

-Mel

7. DrMaul

Dec 24, 2000
    Just got information and details from SKY TV about 'Empire of Dreams' - 9:30pm on Sept 18th. Full details on SWNZ: http://swnz.dr-maul.com/moretext.php?request=20040817

8. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    There was an article in the Herald's TimeOut Section today about the dvds. They listed the retail as $70-$80. The big retailers usually get into price wars over these big releases in the first week. I'm guessing Whitcoulls might offer it at $69.95 for the first few days, and the warehouse and k-mart might do $68.85 or something.

Here's some other reviews:

digital bits -
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarstrilogy.html

dvd talk
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=12228

It's mentioned that there's an easter egg gag reel on one of the discs.

9. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
  10. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    That auction looks a bit dodgy though.... No feedback and 6 unanswered questions!

11. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Check out when that auction closes - a day before Star Wars on DVD will be selling at Whitcoulls probably for $70. People are already bidding $90 ... so if it goes through, the guy will be ripping people off big time.

I've got a feeling trademe might close it down, though. I'm not sure of the exact site rules, but I'm fairly sure you have to actually own the item at the time you put it up for auction.

12. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    I'm, 100% sure this person just plans on buying the DVD the next day and posting it to the hapless chump who shells out for it.

13. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Ha, it's been withdrawn by trademe already. The forces of good have triumphed.

14. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Whitcoulls probably for $70. People are already bidding $90 ... so if it goes through, the guy will be ripping people off big time.

Yea, but that's completely up to the stupid people bidding. If you buy a DVD for $28 from trademe that is going for $14 at the CD/DVD store - it's their stupid fault, same principle. If people are not educated as to original price for the SW DVD's too bad. I say good on the person winning some $.

But yea, unanswered questions and selling something that you don't own is dodge. :p Thought I'd post that link for the hell of it. :)

15. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    The only people who would know when Star Wars was coming out on dvd, and at what price, would be mega-geek fans such as us ... I mean, myself. I don't think anyone is to blame for not having that knowledge, and being the victim of that guys lack of morals. Selling something which is already widely available above RRP is a different situation, I think, and trademe obviously felt the same way.

Anyway, here's that Herald article I mentioned, it showed up online -

Force still strong with Mark Hamill -
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3590598

16. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    > I say good on the person winning some $.

SFL,

Would you have said the same thing about a guy selling replica swords on tradeMe, strongly implying that they were licensed replicas, when actually they weren't?

17. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    Thats different though..... at least the star wars trilogy would have been the real thing!

18. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Yes, that was false advertising. Getting more for a product on an auction than it's RRP is a different kettle of fish.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm fish.

edit = typo

19. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
  20. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    didn't it air all around the world????

I know we got it yesterday here in Germany! ;)

-Mel

21. KEN_BENOKI_IS_BACK

KEN_BENOKI_IS_BACK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    So I know your German, but for some reason I thought you were a German student living in NZ... But it seems your not, or are you a Kiwi living in Germany?

'Deutsch, ich lernen es.'

22. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    This from the Whitcoulls DVD newsletter today:

"The Star Wars Trilogy
    The much-anticipated DVD release of the year is here. This is a must have for all the collectors out there.
    Released 22nd of September

Buy the Star Wars Trilogy at Whitcoulls for $69.99 and go in the draw to win one of 3 NAD DVD players. See in store for details.
    Price Offer valid from 22nd September - 3rd October.
    "

There's also a draw for mounted Darth Vader posters for inner circle members. There will probably be some promotional posters/stands around the stores too, which nice store people might give to fans.

23. DarthGreivous

DarthGreivous Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2004
    Here is the link to some screenshots of the major changes in the 3 films for the DVD release :

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarschanges.html

I reckon the changes are awesome and i cant wait till i cant buy it :)

24. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    So I know your German, but for some reason I thought you were a German student living in NZ... But it seems your not, or are you a Kiwi living in Germany?

'Deutsch, ich lernen es.'

wow you're learning German? when did you start?

I'm a native german and will be going to NZ in January for a year!

-Mel

25. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    It REALLY irritates me that they've replaced Anakin in the final "ghost" shot of ROTJ. I think that making the films internally consistent is one thing (like substituting Ian McDiarmand as the Emperor etc.) but I wish George Lucas would stop going back and fiddling.

And if he is so intent of adding stuff, what not put the Biggs scenes back in?

I guess what would have been really nice would be for the DVDs to have both the original theatrical versions and the rejigged "definitive" versions as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.