main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Star Wars on DVD

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    I don't see any need to even change the Emp. I mean Senator Palp in Ep1 and 2 looks fairly similar to D. Sidious in Return of the Jedi if age and the Dark side has had it's way with him.

/shrugs/

And you hardly see him anyway with the cloak.

But the ghost being changed to Hayden is pretty average, when leaving Greedo shooting first in the Cantina.

2. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    It REALLY irritates me that they've replaced Anakin in the final "ghost" shot of ROTJ

to be honest, that would have to be my favourite 'change' out of the clips i have seen. It makes much more sense in terms of the story in episode III.

3. DarthGreivous

DarthGreivous Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2004
    To be honest i like all the changes, they all improve the movie somewhat......and with the emperor, the reason why in ROTJ, he looks similar to sidious in the prequels....is because hes played by the same character, where as in a new hope and empire, the ghost of the emporor is played by an old lady...which is why they have replaced him

4. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    ah true. Didn't know that.

Spot the SW n00b.

:p

5. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    hey, be nice to the younglings.

So when did you join this crazy fandom, DarthGreivous? We usually pick up a few more members around here after the movies screen on tv.

6. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    I guess what would have been really nice would be for the DVDs to have both the original theatrical versions and the rejigged "definitive" versions as well.
    that would've been great - including both versions!!!! why George why????? :_|

when leaving Greedo shooting first in the Cantina
    oh god I HATE this part!!! :mad:

I like the fact that Ian is also playing the Emperor in TESB now. Besides they've also changed the dialogue in it. I dunno what is said NOW but I'm really looking forward to all the changes. I think they make more sense than the changes for the SE in 1997.

-Mel

7. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    No Kitt. I was saying I'm the SW n00b. I honestly did not know a female played Sidious in Ep's 3 and 4.

8. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    when leaving Greedo shooting first in the Cantina
    oh god I HATE this part!!!

me too. I always wanted that part changed back [face_plain]

9. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Ah, sorry SFL ... I guess I'm just so used to you called people n00bs around here ;)

How's this for some little known trivia ... the guy who did the voice of the Emperor in the ESB hologram scene, Clive Revill, is a kiwi. He was born and educated in Wellington. Check out his imdb bio for more info http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0720890/bio

So I guess we loose one kiwi influence in ESB with his replacement, but we gain another with the addition of Temuera Morrison as Boba Fett's voice.

10. DarthGreivous

Aug 30, 2004
    ive always been a fan of SW, but with the new prequel comign out in less than a year, and the dvd's coming out, im gettign right back into it. Then i saw that this is the biggest nz sw forum so i decided to join :)
    I also like it how they have rescoped all the lightsabres to make them look more liek the ones in the prequels.

11. KEN_BENOKI_IS_BACK

KEN_BENOKI_IS_BACK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    They didn't 'rotoscope' the sabres in the OT DVD again, I'm glad they didn't... I like the glitchy hand roto'd look of them.

I hate all this crap of how everyone wants the Original OT released again, I can see the sticker on my THX versions of the OT (from '95 & on VHS of course) right now that says:
    The original SW available for the last time. They were taken off the shelves April 30 1996 if I remember. I got mine, so I'm happy.

I love the SE, GWL can change anything he wants, they're his movies and really deep down it's the story we all love, not the VFX. (And the music too, but he only changed the 'nub nub' theme which is better for it!)

12. DarthGreivous

Aug 30, 2004
    I think you will find they have been re-rotoscoped again.
    "The other major change in A New Hope - all of the lightsaber blades have been re-rotoscoped to have more color and be more consistent in appearance with their look in the other films." - Digital Bits

13. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I hate seeing the word saber spelt sabre.

It makes me say "saab-ree".

Yea, after watching a bit of the OT on TV the other week, the sabers looked pretty tacky, but hey. They were awesome back in the days of pre-prequels.

14. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    yeah, evrythin shuld b spelt as its sed 2 avoid confunzion

"sabre" ... it's French for "saber"

15. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I think they looked good enough, certainly in ESB and ROTJ, yeah the ones in ANH could stand some touch-ups but they're not that bad. I wonder if they'll add colour to Luke's saber when he was practicing, I kinda like the "training mode" explanation for the white blades myself. :)

16. KEN_BENOKI_IS_BACK

Jul 25, 2004
    They haven't been done, trust me...

http://img74.exs.cx/img74/3137/Farm_Hosta.jpg

A grab from my copies, and don't say it's just because it's a still frame - 'cause that's not how the rotoscoping technique works, even with the software thet ILM uses for them.

Not to mention the sabres are pink in ESB!

If you want to see more 'proof' just post, but it's only another 6 days.

17. DarthGreivous

Aug 30, 2004
    that pic is from ROTJ though....i think they said they have just redone the ones in a new hope...

18. KEN_BENOKI_IS_BACK

Jul 25, 2004
    You mean like this...

http://img45.exs.cx/img45/8527/lukewhitesaber.jpg

Doesn't look re-done to me... And that shady edit is still in there too! I'm sure Luke has a BLUE sabre not a white one. I got frames of the Vader vs. Obi Wan also.

19. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    In the digital bits review, the last picture on this page shows that the lightsabers have been improved in ANH -

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarschanges.html

Perhaps it is only in certain shots.

There's also a comparison of the ROTJ Emperor crossed with sabers on the second page of screencaps ... in that first picture you posted up there, it looks like the contrast and brightness is out of whack. Not surprising, if they come from online bootlegs.

20. DarthGreivous

Aug 30, 2004
    they have been redone, trust me, that pic u have there prolly is from the original version......and why would they say they have rescoped all the blades in a new hope if they havnt?

21. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    I hate all this crap of how everyone wants the Original OT released again, I can see the sticker on my THX versions of the OT (from '95 & on VHS of course) right now that says:
    The original SW available for the last time. They were taken off the shelves April 30 1996 if I remember. I got mine, so I'm happy.

I love the SE, GWL can change anything he wants, they're his movies and really deep down it's the story we all love, not the VFX. (And the music too, but he only changed the 'nub nub' theme which is better for it!)

I think GL is taking the phrase "art is never truly finished, only abandoned" a little bit to seriously!!!!
    and why can't he like a lot of others release both versions - a special edition that he totally loves and the original version that the fans totally love!??!?!?!?!

-Mel

22. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I own the original versions on VHS, but I haven't watched them all the way through since 97. A lot of fans I meet have never even seen the original versions, never mine prefer them.

I consider the best version of a film to watch is the version which most truly reflects the director's vision. When we studied Blade Runner in one of my film classes, the lecturers insisted we watch the 90s version 'director's cut' rather than the original theatrical. (incidentally, I got it out from my local store, and ended up with the theatrical instead ... Harrison Ford sounds so bored in that voiceover, heh).

There's a recent GL interview here, where he talks about why the original theatrical versions aren't on the dvd:

http://tinyurl.com/6osj7

23. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be. I'm the one who has to take responsibility for it. G.L.

apology accepted. at the end of the day, whats the point of it if the creator isn't happy? If I were in his shoes I'd probably have done the same (but I wouldnt have changed the greedo scene!) :p

I'm glad I still have the originals, I have the 1992 version before they released the THX 'one last time' set.

24. DarthGreivous

Aug 30, 2004
    I think that Lucas has simply put what he thinks are the "best" versions of his original triglogy onto the dvd, and if people dont like them, too bad. I think the changes will improve the film anyway, so im looking foward to watching them. The changes arent THAT drastic anyway, its not like they change the entire storyline or anything.

25. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    I agree that the film changes will improve the films considerably, but I still think that you should also be able to get a hold of the original cut (and I don't mean on lousy VHS!)

I consider the best version of a film to watch is the version which most truly reflects the director's vision.
    yeah me too, but GL is revising his films every couple of years it seems and that is just NOT a DC, that's just tinkering too much with your own art. he desperately needs someone to tell him "George, it's great. no need to fix anything anymore. people will love it!"
    GL reminds me of an artist always putting another stroke of brush on his already amazing painting then taking a step back and doing it again, and again and again.....

-Mel

PS with the technology nowadays he could and should do his films the way he intended in the first and be done with it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.