main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Star Wars on DVD

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Ep3?

You mean Return of the Jedi? Or a sneak peak saber fight of Ep3?

2. Jedi_Squall

Jedi_Squall Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2001
    Sneak peak....

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The trademe ripoffs continue.

How stupid.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Movies/DVD/Boxed-sets/auction-16180675.htm

^ that one doesn't even close until next Tuesday. [face_plain]

4. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Can't believe how many sets are on trade me at the moment. All more than RRP. One even had a buy now of $100!

5. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    My daily email from trademe was completely swamped with dvd sets.

I have a problem with disc 4 ... when I click on the darth vader doco, the dvd just stops. I had to get into it using the manual title change feature. I'm wondering if this could mean the disc is faulty, or whether it's a problem with my dvd player, because I have had this kind of thing come up before ... on my shrek dvd, all the special feature links just lead to the same doco. Unfortunately I don't have another dvd player to test it out on.

6. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Yay should pick up my copy tommorow if my mother will lend me 16 bucks!

7. RED_RAPTOR_ONE

RED_RAPTOR_ONE Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2002
    Does anyone know if there are any gag-reals on these 4 dvds like the previous two movies?

8. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    According to http://movieweb.com/dvd/eggs/egg.php?upc=024543123453

Insert the Bonus Materials disc. from the Main Menu, access the 'Video Game' and 'Still Galleries' option. Once there, hit a variation of 1138 on your remote control in whatever way you setup allows. If all is working correctly the box next to R2-D2 will light up. Select it by pressing ENTER and revealing a 4 and a half minute long bloopers / outakes reel from all three films!

Another way to get to the blooper reel is to go ot the Video Game and Still Gallery Menu, then press 11. After a pause, the box next to R2-D2 lights up. Then press 3. After another pause, press 8 to then reveal th hidden blooper reel clip!

9. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    I got mine and I'm looking foward to watching it tonight!

10. DarthGreivous

DarthGreivous Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2004
    I just finished watching all three remastered star wars films on DVD, and I must say I am extremely impressed at how perfect the picture and sound quality are, the films really do look like they were made in 2004!

I also think that most of the changes were definately for the better. I think the remodled jabba scene now looks a lot better, the old CG model looked to cartoon like, and its eyes were took big which made it look unrealistic. The slightly rescoped lightsabers in episode IV match with the other films better now as well. The new emporor hologram looks a little bit weird, kind of stiff or something, but still its better than the blurred old lady hologram previously in there. Its also kind of weird to see Hayden as the force ghost at the end, but i guess it was alright. Overall I think the movies are pretty much perfect and i thoroughly enjoyed watching them.

I also thought that the bonus disk was very good as well. 'Empire of Dreams' is an excellent documentary and i loved the episode III preview, I cant wait to see the final duel between Anikan and Obi-Wan.

Anyway I thought the overall package was awsome and i recommend it to anyone who has anyone who is even partially interested in star wars.

So there's my 2 cents worth lol :p

11. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Anyone else notice that Luke's saber in ANH looks awfully green in the first scene with the practise drones on the Faclon in ANH?

Thought that was odd.

Jabba, IMO looks better in ANH.

The "Hayden-fade-in" thing was okay, but looked a bit cheddar. Replaced Emperor and Tem Morrison voice overs as Boba were pretty good though.

12. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    The couple of extra sentances between Vader and The Emperor in ESB were a little odd. Vader's "how can this be" comment? So does that imply that he doesn't know he has a child? Or that he hasn't made the link between the Skywalker who destroyed the Death Star and his own linage? Or is he trying to decieve the Emperor?

Yeah, I noticed the green blade too on The 'Falcon too. That was quite strange.

Overall I'm really impressed ... I watched ANH on Friday and ESB on Saturday, and thought they both lookd fantastic. I haven't watched ROTJ yet, but will sometime this week. The featurette on Lightsabres was cool, too ...

13. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    Oh and when the stormtrooper hits his head in ANH you can here a distinctive DONK now!

14. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    I have a problem with disc 4 ... when I click on the darth vader doco, the dvd just stops

mine does the same, Kitt. do you have a Philips player?
    maybe its a problem with the crtain Model.

as for the extra lines between Vader and Palpatine in ESB, they also conflict with Vaders line "and i'm sure Skywalker is with them". before the battle of Hoth.
    I read a review somewhere that says this will be explained to an extent in EIII.

Still dont like the cantina scene, but EIV Jabba and the Rancor sequence look way better.

15. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Oh and when the stormtrooper hits his head in ANH you can here a distinctive DONK now!

Ooww stink. I always loved how that was just a blooper that stayed in, now they've made it into a "thing". Bah.

16. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    Got these on Wednesday pretty awsome real clear etc.
    the jabba scene still looks average and the greedo scene looks even worse in my opinion. Hadyen at the end of jedi look average as it doesnt look like he interacts with yoda and obi very well.

the doco is awsome and makes me appreciate how hard it was to make these movies.

17. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    mine does the same, Kitt. do you have a Philips player? maybe its a problem with the crtain Model.

Yes! It's Philips DVD 703. I guess that means replacing the disc won't do any good :(

There always was a donk, I can hear it on my 95 THX release ... you need a decent sound system to pick it up, though. Possibly the dvd edition has made it more prominent in the mix? I've only got four speakers in my home cinema set up, so I can't really speculate about the finer details of the mix.

I don't think Vader is deceiving the emperor .. it makes little sense, to me, to add new lines which are not intended to be taken seriously. I figure that:

- Vader thinks Padme died before she gave birth
    - Vader discovers a Force-sensitive 'Skywalker' running around. He's suspicious that this could be his son, but it seems impossible because of the facts he thinks he knows .. he can't know for sure until he gets close enough to sense his presence, hence the obsession with finding him.
    - the emperor tells him he's sure the boy is his son ... Vader's natural response is 'how is this possible?' because he thinks Padme died before giving birth.
    - the emperor tells him 'you *will* know it to be true'
    - when they meet at Bespin, Vader finally does know it to be true - he searches his feelings and can sense that they are father and son, as does Luke when he's hanging off the gantry.

18. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I'm unspoilt, but this is all assuming Ani even knows she get's / got "up the duff" to begin with?

19. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Well it was a hrad job but i've watched everyhing on the new Dvds including the films with/without commentary.

Overall i'm very impressed with them:

Having previously only watched them on FS vhs it just blows my mind all the 'extra' stuff you notice with the WS version, especailly in jabba's palace.

I definitely notice the green saber in ANH onboard the falcon

Thought the commentaries overall were poor! Most of the stuff said was either repeated in each movie which was then just from the documentaries also on the dvd. I just got bored of george saying " motiff and its from mythology and blah blah blah" and Ben Burtt "oh and i got this sound from here and this sound from here....." and having Carrie Fisher as the only actor was also a let down. The best commentary imho was by Irvin Kershner the director of ESB, at least he's got a personality and didn't sound like he was reading a script!!

But yeah apart from that i love them!!!

Oh yeah and did i detect the "Emperor's Slugs" are still present!!

20. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    Oh yeah and did i detect the "Emperor's Slugs" are still present!!
    the emperors slugs???? whats that???

-Mel

21. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    OMG i just realised that this is my 200th post! Look i know wghat you're all thinking..."big ******* deal mate"
    Well for me it is, i've been on here for over two years and i've only now reached 200, shows just what a dodgy lurker i am round these parts! [face_mischief]

The Emperors's Slugs.........

Well ya see when george started tampering with the films for the special edition he did a lot of things to make the films 'better.' [face_laugh]

In ROTJ, in the emperor's last few scenes before the final duel you will find him sporting black'slugs' around his hood. These are crappy bits of cg black smudge.....theya re god damn annoying once you see them once you will never forgot or miss them ever again!!! :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

22. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Now you've just ruined everyone for that scene. Now they'll be looking, then they wont be able to miss them.

And yes, you dodgy, shadow loving, lurker.

23. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Ha ha i know, once i first heard about them and saw them i was like "damn i wish i'd never noticed that"
    \

You can have much more fun in the shadows.....

24. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    If I didn't know better I'd say you were as sifty as me. :p

25. YouAgain

Dec 20, 2001
    You like baking SFL?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.