main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: On The Front Lines

Discussion in 'Literature' started by King of Alsakan, Jan 13, 2016.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Other details I liked:

-- Admiral Honor Salima, the Coruscanti admiral in charge of the Republic fleet during the Battle of Coruscant. We saw her on the preview pages, but that was still rad. As I've said before, she's getting added to my "random reference book characters who are also my favorite characters" list.

-- As already noted, the picture of Grand Moff Randd. Looks like he's basically the Ardus Kaine of canon, in the sense of succeeding Tarkin.

-- The infobox on Hux is hilarious. It takes the info from the Visual Dictionary about Hux having experience only in battle simulations and presents it in the worst possible way, adding the fact that he got his position through nepotism. It's so harsh. I love it.

-- The Jess Pava journal entry thing is full of Luke fangirling, which is a great callback to Weapon of a Jedi.

-- The best illustrations in the book have to be the two (yes two) paintings of Ackbar, and I'll be shocked if we don't see Nick using them as icons in the near future.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Oh yes, those Ackbar portraits are gonna be my new icons. Endor Ackbar looks classic & tough, Jakku Ackbar is sporting a new uniform and a confident yet calm demeanor.

Yes folks, I can read Mon Cala faces better than anymore. ;)

#fishhavefeelingstoo

--Adm. Nick

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Now that Nick and Jello's reactions have made me finally want this thing I'm freshly annoyed there's no digital version (yet?).

4. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    Anything else about Phoenix Squadron? Is it the same group from Rebels?

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Ooh, THAT Phoenix. Weird to hear "Squadron" and not "Cell".

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    So is there more to this than just space battles? Seems to be what everyone is talking about in here. They're all well and good, but I hope there's sizable info on ground battles and weapons and armor.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There are sections on ground battles and the info pages on units seen in the various battles include ground units.

It's just that the two dudes with 'admiral' in their names who've been posting about the book are understandably more into the naval stuff.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    GrandAdmiralJello Is there anything new (or at least "new to canon") about Veers?

9. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    What does Randd look like ?

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't have the book on hand, but he's dark-skinned (I.e., "black") and has facial hair. Wears a grand moff's uniform and insignia.

Mentions his vocal support for the use of AT-ATs, so that's a Legends import that made it into canon. Also he has a calm demeanor under fire. There's only like two sentences on him but it's straight from Legends pretty much.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

LelalMekha likes this.
  11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Randd is a black human male. I was pleasantly surprised, as I assumed he was just another generic white Imperial officer.

RE: Veers, nothing new. It could be inferred that Veers was killed when Hobbie took out his walker, but that is not explicitly stated in the text. We do know that Vader respected his cool demeanor.

Now, for all of your viewing pleasure!

[​IMG]

--Adm. Nick

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That is ridiculously good Ackbar art. Very much like a painting I'd expect to see hanging in the NRDF HQ or something.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Who did the illustrations?

Nothing conclusive, then? Good. Veers' entry in the Databank calls him a veteran of Hoth, so I'll keep thinking he survived until we're told otherwise.

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    JediBatman likes this.
  15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, it struck me immediately as an IU painting, which is cool to think about.

Re: Veers, wasn't his death explicit in the ESB script along with Hobbie's? It may not be confirmed in the book but if the name of the name is "honoring the original intent" I'd call him dead in every way that matters--they just haven't deigned to spell it out yet.

16. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Obviously Veers survived, and tried to flee into the Unknown Regions with the other Imperials at the end of the war, but his ship got lost and crashed on a primitive world. There he changed his name, and was able to con his way into a position of power serving the local monarch.

[​IMG]

17. KDavies

KDavies Jedi Knight

Nov 30, 2014

Would you be able to share a pic of Randd? My copy is in the mail... dying to see!

18. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    So the Ghost crew did participate in the Battle of Jakku or was it just Hera, Chopper, and the Ghost ship?

19. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Lol. No. I think Phoenix Squadron just consists of A-wings now.

The fate of the Ghost after Scarif (and who was on it even then) won't be known till Season 4 finishes early next year.

20. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It's kind of bothering me the Empire now has far more diversity than the Rebellion and Resistance.

podjazd likes this.
  21. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Um? "Far more?"

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

22. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Sloane, Ciena Re, Iden, and now Grand Moff Rand.

Finn is also a First Order Stormtrooper.

23. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Poe, Cassian, Sabine, Ezra, Kanan, Baze, Chirrut, Saw, Bodhi, Bail, Rex, Finn, Rose.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    He even made OOM-9 look stately for the Battle of Naboo portrait! Just glad Jar Jar didn't get a picture (though I kind of wish Tarpals had gotten a better picture, but I don't mind the extra information on General Ceel). Even better that Acbkar got two portraits too. All the portraits are awesome (Yoda, Obi-wan, etc.), I hope he does more Star Wars art in the future.

They even put some art on the inside cover (forgot to take off the dust jacket before). Front is more stormtroopers, in back are Rebel troopers (I think?).

25. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    The book is worth it just for some of the illustrations. The two page battle scenes look amazing. Really enjoyed the "I Was There" and the "Tales of Valor" sections as well. Also always appreciate a few mentions of some planetary defense forces too.

Not that I was expecting a plethora of new information and tidbits, but my only complaint would be there could of been a bigger percentage of new content.