main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: On The Front Lines

Discussion in 'Literature' started by King of Alsakan, Jan 13, 2016.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I kind of wish we got RAE SLOANE in that awesome painterly style, but Randd was definitely the correct choice for the Imperial leader of Jakku.

Suppose we could've gotten her on Endor (she did get a namedrop), but Piett was likewise the correct choice there.

Alas.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Weird that you're such a fan of a character who never ran anything.

Iron_lord, TheRedBlade and LelalMekha like this.
  3. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    She ran away from Endor, didn't she?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It's okay Jello. Unlike the EU the Empire was actually losing and she actually WAS the highest ranking person there.

6. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I think Sloane ordering the retreat was different than Pelleaon doing so due to their ranks at the time

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, the problem there was due to sloppy retcons.

Pellaeon being the highest ranking Imperial Officer there makes perfect sense in a system which is run by seniority.

After the Admiral (Piett) dies, Pellaeon has been serving in the Imperial Navy since the Clone Wars.

So he would easily be the senior most Captain.

Except then they added Harrsk, three Grand Admirals, and a partridge in a pear tree.

8. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    That's confusing. I guess it does make sense that the Empire would have had grand admirals at Endor and they would have out ranked Pelleaon. However, they'd have also out ranked Piett, so his command wouldn't make sense either. Unless, he was in charge via his association with Vader. He could be standing in for Darth Vader, which could allow him to have authority over everyone present. In a sense he spoke for the leader of the entire navy. Still I think they made a mistake by trying to put too many important people at Endor. It makes aspects of the Battle overly convoluted.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Most of the Grand Admirals were on the Death Star during the early stages of the battle.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I believe the Grand Admirals were on the Death Star as observers. However, one of them stayed to take command only to have his communications systems knocked out (and become the first Grand Admiral captured) while another died in the Death Star's destruction and the third escaped.

Harrsk, however, was a Fleet Admiral under Piett who stayed long enough to hear Pellaeon's "order" and command it. There's also Pellaeon taking command of the Chimera from his commanding officer at the time who was killed. Who would, presumably, have been an Admiral or Vice Admiral himself. Which means Harrsk should have been in charge but he didn't assume command.

As much as I love Halagad_Ventor and Kevin J. Anderson's Chronologies, sometimes it would be just better to ignore all the retcons.

Edit:

Also, the thing which bothers me most about Pellaeon and Sloane at Endor is you'd think the person who'd ordered the retreat at Endor would have been executed. The Empire is not going to care about the order being justified as they're a totalitarian dictatorship.

11. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I love the artwork for Garven Dreis. I wish the artist or LFL or whoever would sell prints of that so I could buy it and hang it up.

...Hobbie... :-(

vncredleader likes this.
  12. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    So based on what has been said here (which really isn't much it seems yet) we have:

General Tobler Ceel is canon again.
    30 capital ships blockaded Christophsis.
    Honor Salima served as Commander of the Coruscant Home Fleet from c. 32 BBY thru the Battle of Coruscant.
    The Separatist 'frigate' Profusion collected Grievous after escaping the Invisible Hand.
    A third of the Separatist fleet at Coruscant was destroyed or were forced to surrender [the organic crews anyway].
    The Hammerhead corvette Convalescence escaped to hyperspace at Scarif before the Devastator arrived.
    Hobbie died in the Battle of Hoth. RIP Derek "Hobbie" Klivian :'(
    Arvel Crynyd's rank is Commander.
    Grand Moff Randd's Star Destroyer at Jakku was the Acidity.
    A squadron of A-wings called Phoenix Squadron served at Jakku.
    The walkers on Starkiller Base were AT-PD's (All Terrain Patrol Droids).

Is there more?

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, we also learned that Ackbar's first action post-Endor was the lead the fleet into a campaign against Imperial territories in the Mid & Inner Rim. It also noted that the NR did initially have a goal to get to Coruscant, but obviously as we see in the Aftermath Trilogy, once the NR got a strong foothold in the Core there was less of a strategic need to take the former capital.

--Adm. Nick

vncredleader likes this.
  14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's never too soon to update your account to enable 3rd party hosting.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hey Wallace, go help ol' Photobucket kick the bucket next, will you?

vncredleader and Vthuil like this.
  17. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    WAAAAAAAAH

vncredleader likes this.
  18. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    the databank entry on SW.com says Hobbie survived the Battle of Hoth.

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

[​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The databank isn't super up to date, though. Not sure how reliable it is, especially with stuff like Front Lines being recently released.

21. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

And using the wrong pictures to represent certain things (i.e. using Telsij to represent Ekelarc Yong).

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Not to keep complaining about the Hobbie thing (well, okay, it is, but there's also a bigger point), but: something else that sort of bugs me about this "honoring the original intent even when it didn't make it onscreen" thing being used as a general philosophy, entirely apart from the issue of having been used to a particular scene not happening, is that Star Wars, perhaps moreso than other franchises, really has a tendency to reuse scrapped ideas in future installments. And while I don't know if that consciously occurred here for sure, I do remember that the first time I heard about that deleted ESB scene, my thought process went something like "that's kind of repetitive since we already saw it with Green Leader and the Executor in ROTJ". Obviously that's wrong in terms of the timeframe, but once ROTJ actually came out, it does make the previous iteration actually happening feel kind of redundant.

I dunno, it's just another thing that makes me think this really ought to be thought about on a case-by-case basis. Context changes.

23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Guys, let's not have this thread devolve into a singular discussion about Hobbie. Dan was kind enough to explain the reasoning behind the Story Group's decision, let's not focus just on that aspect of the book. There is SOOOO much in it that is awesome and worth discussing. ;)

I've gone back and read through it, especially the Prequel Era battles. When I got my copy, I rushed through those to get to the Galactic Civil War battles. Looking back, I realize that some of the best parts were about those battles. General Ceel (Creel?) of the Gungan Grand Army comes off really cool, ditto the love for my fav Captain Tarpals. There is also an interesting little aside about how post-battle the Gungans and Naboo developed closer ties, but these ceased within a year.

In the Geonosis section, I love how Dan weaves in little snippets about the inexperience of the Jedi and their clone armies. We forget how jarring it must have been for the Jedi to suddenly command an army of soldiers they never met, using equipment they are unfamiliar with. We learn that the SPHA-T cannons weren't ready & aligned to take down the Seppie ships, hence why the majority of the fleet and droids escape. It sounds like the Republic didn't have any ships in orbit to stop them (which matches what we see in AOTC), so it further shows how unprepared the Republic was for this engagement.

In term of the Battle of Coruscant, Admiral Salima (GrandAdmiralJello) unfortunately didn't drill or deploy her home fleet much before, arrogantly assuming that the Separatists would never be able to attack Coruscant. I'd say she is pretty lucky that the Open Circle Fleet arrived. ;)

--Adm. Nick

24. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I know about the attack on Kuat, but what other footholds did the NR gain there?

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Corellia, Chandrila and Hosnian Prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JediBatman likes this.