main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: On The Front Lines

Discussion in 'Literature' started by King of Alsakan, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...but that's literally what the Separatists are. I mean, it's in the name and everything.

vncredleader likes this.
  2. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

The Clone Wars were in large part inspired by the American Civil War, similarly to how the Galactic Civil War was inspired by the American War for Independence.

So from the point of view of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, they are a sovereign independent state, but from the point of view of the Republic, they are separatists.

3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    They were a state prior to the war itself, not a group within another state that tried to usurp control. Maybe that explains it better. The Separatists were not seeking to take control of galactic government on Coruscant, like the Rebels were, they already had their own separate governmental structure elsewhere.

Daneira likes this.
  4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I am pretty sure the plan was to take over the government on Coruscant. The Separatist senate existed as the beginning of their eventual one when they take the Republic over. The plan always was to reform the Republic. They just formed a government in advance in preparation to that take over. Think first continental congress. If the Seppies are not a group within a single state rebellion then neither where the Americans during our revolution

5. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The two cases are not alike at all. The Separatists had a capital of their own already, it's not stated as being temporary, nor were the leaders of the Confederacy representing Republic colonies, but members who had once joined the Republic and now wanted to give up membership. The whole problem at the beginning of AOTC was that more and more worlds and systems were seceding from the Republic, going to an alternate government.

Daneira likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Suppose it depends on how you want to see it, right?

It's true that worlds seceded first, before the war started. It was a peaceful secession and the Republic allowed it.

So do we want to see it as a civil war amongst an ancient galactic community, as opposed to one within a state? We could.

Ultimately I'd suggest that the terminology of GCW suggests the Clone Wars writ large aren't a civil war in the strictest sense -- but featured many civil wars as part of the overall conflict.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

vncredleader and Mia Mesharad like this.
  7. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Amazon preview is up, looks great. Maybe a new Star Destroyer in one of the pics, maybe based on a Legends design? Never mind, should of read the print next to the pic first. A new Republic Naval Commander as well I believe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Looks like Green Group got it's ass kicked Royally!

Darth_Garak likes this.
  9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Nice to see the combat performance of smuggler ships actually discussed.

Commander Salima seems like someone Jello would really like. Her existence makes me wonder what the Coruscant PDF looked like - while I doubt Coruscant dedicated very much to its defense given its status and the peacefulness of the galaxy, even a tiny fraction of its wealth, population, and industrial capability could probably produce an army that would dwarf most PDFs in the galaxy.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  10. Nickname320

Nickname320 Jedi Knight

Jun 29, 2014

I'll tell ya one thing, new Canon ship names (particularly in the Imperial Navy) sure are anything but subtle:

The Interdictor Glaciate? Sure does get right to the point, doesn't it? :D

Don't worry, I remember that Legends had its fair share as well. :)

11. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

This pleases me.

Glad Crynyd finally has a rank. And all these other tidbits. And all Canon!

Nickname320 likes this.
  12. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    My reaction to seeing that Hoth image:
    [​IMG]

My collection of desktop backgrounds that is.

I've always thought the Rebels should have more defected Imperials and more aliens in their ranks, and that excerpt from the team capturing an Interdictor has both, so I'm quite pleased. Also between this and the ending of Lost Stars, this is the second time Rieken has sent a team to capture a Star Destroyer during the Battle of Jakku. It seems kind of pointless in hindsight since Jakku ended up being the last battle of the war, but who knows, maybe some captured Imp ships ended up being used against the holdouts mentioned in the Propaganda book.

13. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    OH MY GOD WE GET AN ENTIRE THING ABOUT ARVEL CRYNYD YAS.

Seriously this makes me so happy, we never got anything on this dude in Legends and even in the NEU with Green Squadron in that one comic he never showed. This is awesome.

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ooh, I'm digging General Rieekan's MC80 name. Striking Distance is a very cool name for a combat cruiser. :D

This book looks VERY promising. Given that it appears we'll get a box on each sides respective commander, I'm guessing the following:

Scarif = Raddus vs. Krennic
    Yavin = Dodonna vs. Tarkin
    Hoth = Rieekan vs. Veers
    Endor = Ackbar vs. Piett
    Jakku = Agate vs. Randd

While Ackbar was in overall command at Jakku, it wouldn't make sense to use him twice.

--Adm. Nick

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Did we know a third of the Sep armada was wiped out during the Battle of Coruscant?

Oh I see you're all talking about the space wedges again. Nvm.

Mia Mesharad and vncredleader like this.
  16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    It will be nice to see some of Rieekan in the new eu.

Nickname320 and JediBatman like this.
  17. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    A tiny part of me hopes they use Vader as the Imperial commander at Hoth just to troll VeersWatch. (Though Veers will probably be in it regardless).

And yes for finally giving more attention - between this and nucanon Nien Nunb being everywhere - to Endor supporting Rebels. It was always weird how the EU did so much with Hobbie and Janson, but largely ignored ROTJ's pilots. (I think Ten Nunb was in like one whole comic and died?)

JediBatman and vncredleader like this.
  18. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah Ten shows up in Rogue Leader and promptly dies from wounded sustained during torture. not even a heroic death

JediBatman likes this.
  19. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Re-reading the excerpt on the Battle of Coruscant, I have two observations ( I don't think they're really spoilerish, but I've tagged them just in case).
    First, the text puts a lot of emphasis on the ship losses the Separtists faced, saying a full third of the armada was unable to escape to hyperspace. It's odd because most of the Clone Wars stuff I've read does indeed imply that the Separtists are on their last legs after the battle, but they seem to chalk it up solely to the death of Dooku. This seems to give Dooku's death and the losses they faced equal importance in turning the tide of the war. I like this development, it shows that the ships we saw on screen actually meant something besides being pretty explosions.

Second, I think this may be the first hint we've had that Palpatine's machinations became public knowledge after the Empire fell. It doesn't mention that he's a Sith or that he manipulated both sides, but it does mention that he issued Order 66 as part of his power play.

MrDarth0 likes this.
  20. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

It's Ten Numb.

One thing, according to this, Grievous was picked up by the frigate Profusion, which Wookieepedia has identified as a Munificent-class. But in the film, Grievous' pod was seen heading towards a Trade Federation battleship. Discrepancy?

21. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Wow, it actually is. I always figured it was supposed to be spelled the same way because they're both Sullustans.

(And there's also a Nin Nemb, because)

vncredleader likes this.
  22. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I would say no because he could have changed direction at some point. Also wow never new it was Numb.

23. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Only a few more weeks until this releases! Super excited for it!

24. Nickname320

Nickname320 Jedi Knight

Jun 29, 2014

Gotta admit, I sighed a bit when I read the name of Rieekan's MC80. But ten seconds later, I did a complete 180 and now think Striking Distance is a fantastic (and clever) name. The "striking distance" of the Alliance Navy would be as far as Rieekan's Striking Distance would fight; based on Rieekan's boldness (i.e. his plan to capture ISDs during the Battle of Jakku in Lost Stars), I'd say that his range would be right on the front line or beyond. Striking Distance would be the inspirational trail blazer of the Navy, both in name and act.

25. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Has this been released yet, because I saw this at the store? Should I pick it up?