main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: On The Front Lines

Discussion in 'Literature' started by King of Alsakan, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Just to clarify one point--and again, I'm not trying to speak for the Story Group nor am I qualified to do so--but I wouldnt describe the rationale behind the Hobbie decision as "let's kill off Hobbie in a reference book." More like, "because Hobbie ALREADY died in ESB, let's make sure that reference books reflect that new canon going forward."

LFL leans into a philosophy of "don't establish major facts unless there's a major story behind it." My little reference book is NOT that story in this case.

2. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Which is perfectly fine.

Tangent:

These characters started with a clean slate in new canon, and really they haven't been used much in the new canon--not enough to make me care enough that they are surreptitiously killed off.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Dan, thanks for the clarification. I think that makes sense as an explanation and distinction. I don't agree with the call but this wouldn't be the first time the Story Group has gone a different direction than I'd like (see: Imperial Palace) on a minor thing that still matters for nostalgic reasons.

Anyway, I'm hoping to find the book waiting for me when I get home and then I'll have something other than Hobbie to talk about.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Amidst all the disappointment over Hobbie, I'm actually low-key pleasantly surprised by this.

Jason Fry is in Rogue Squadron now?? Freaking nepotism.

5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Guys.

It's OK.

Hobbie dying isn't the end of the Fandom.

Disney isn't out to get you.

Dan is a pretty cool guy.

That is all.

DarthTalgus likes this.
  6. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Yes. We know that.

I can still be disappointment with this story choice.

7. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I understand the reasoning behind it, and I love Dan.
    I just don't love this.
    Oh well, maybe we'll get some Rogue Squadron stories in the ANH-ESB era.

Edit: would a couple of "Luke Skywalker and Rogue Squadron" mini-series kill Marvel?
    Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Nobody's saying that -- but a post like this is more likely to stir the pot than to be helpful.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, I think it's precisely this point that signals this discussion has run its course and is likely to only result in derailment and drama going forward.

I'm not sure if there's anything productive about further discussion of the Hobbie issue. It's my hope that there will be plenty other things to discuss with the official release tomorrow.

Revanfan1 and vncredleader like this.
  9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I should add- fans of Jess "Testor" Pava won't be disappointed. She is a bad@ss. :D

Also- everyone's favorite Beastie Boy, Ello Atsy, also get a cool feature as well. I'm stoked that they focused on these lesser known pilots, as opposed to more on Poe or Snap.

--Adm. Nick

10. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah seriously. Did anyone here blame Dan or the story group? As far as I saw we all just where bummed a character we like is dead sooner than we might have wanted. No one is angry we just would not have stuck with the original idea of him dying, it is fine (and honestly important) that fans disagree with certain decisions and discuss said disagreements. That's a vital part of fandom and ongoing storytelling.

Wait Jess gets stuff to do!?!?! Yay, she has become my favorite new canon character already. Essentially new Wedge for me.

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Another detail I think is wicked cool- nearly a third of the Seppie armada at Coruscant wasn't even able to attempt a retreat, due to damages suffered on their hyperdrives or sublight engines. That's not counting all the ships they lost in combat, or the fact that apparently many of the organically crewed ships (Neimoidians on TF battleships, Muuns on BC frigates) also decided to surrender.

Coruscant was a MEAT GRINDER for the Separatist navy. I never got that impression before, but this book clearly shows the scale of the loss.

--Adm. Nick

12. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    AdmiralNick22 anything on Red Squadron, esp. Garven Dreis or Theron Nett?

vncredleader likes this.
  13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    There is a section on Garven Dreis. It's mostly a recap of the stuff we already know, but it's cool to see him get a spotlight. It mentions he was one of the biggest drivers for switching Rebel squadrons to the T-65 X-wing, as he felt it's easy learning curve made it easy to get bush pilots up to speed quickly. Both he and Jon Vander jointly commanded the attack on the Death Star.

--Adm. Nick

14. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Since X-Wings are in the next season of Rebels, I hope that means Dreis will appear too. Having him and Vander in an episode together would be amazing.

15. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Oooh, yes! I also hope that we see Wedge and Hobbie's first X-wing flight. I hope we get a lot more Hobbie in Season 4 - and maybe Wes can show up, too.

16. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    My friggin' kingdom for this.

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, this has been kind of bugging me: the new continuity seems very well aware that people love Wedge, and people love X-Wing pilots, but there seems to be this peculiar lack of acknowledgment that there was a particular series about Wedge and X-Wing pilots that prompted a lot of that affection.

This. It reminded me a little of the whole Anaxes debacle, in that the only people who would notice are the people who wouldn't like it - except that X-Wing fans were a much larger group than EGTW nerds.

It's mean, but from the moment I first read about this, I couldn't help but keep thinking "wouldn't it be funny to see Veers Watch's reaction if the first nucanon thing to actually use Veers killed him off?"

Landb and JediBatman like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Got the book -- and I can say that I already love the word "militiagungs" to describe the soldiers of the Gungan army.

And that the text unfailingly uses the proper style of address as General Binks.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Edit: okay, this book is just really funny. I'm only on the Battle of Naboo section and I'm quite entertained. Looking forward to the rest.

19. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Related to this: While I absolutely loved Rogue One as a film, I'm still bitter it wasn't about an X-wing squadron after using that name. I wish the "steal the Death Star plans" movie hadn't taken that name, and that they didn't use a name everyone would associate with X-wings and Wedge.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Speaking of Rogue One, I find the "aftermath" section of the Scarif page absolutely fascinating. It suggests that the dissolution of the Senate and destruction of Alderaan were due to fears sparked by the public unveiling of the Death Star and the shaking of public faith in Imperial benevolence.

Fitting. Because that happened anyway. And that was really, I think, the moment that things went downhill for the Empire.

Also there's consistent mention of newsnets in this book. That makes me happy -- HNN is cool, but the GalaxyWide NewsNets are the best.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

21. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, that's another case study in what I mean.

22. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Meanwhile, Rogue One did feature a spectacular space battle and Red/Gold Leader. I just wish it had been about them!

Daneira likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    On the other hand, a random fruit from Wedge's Gamble is not only canon, but is shockingly important in the GFFA! :p

24. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    They knew why we were really reading those books. Come for the X-Wings, stay for the fruit.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

DarthSienna, JediMara77 and Vthuil like this.
  25. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I wouldn't even go that far - I just think the dissonance between a movie that was never going to be about pilots being called Rogue One, versus the reaction of everyone on this board automatically assuming it would be from the name, is kind of noteworthy.