main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: Panel to Panel

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediTrilobite, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    TOS just announced a new book, this one that covers the works of art seen in the Star Wars comics.

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2004/04/img/20040430_2_bg.jpg]

Coming out this September is a new book that celebrates over a decade of amazing Star Wars illustrations. Since the earliest days of Dark Empire, to the latest ongoing monthly series, Dark Horse Comics has been the premiere source of Star Wars illustrated art.
    The talented artists at Dark Horse have continued to expand the depth and breadth of the Star Wars galaxy. From ancient Jedi to alien worlds, from fantastic creatures to faster-than-light spaceships, no other publisher has produced so many dazzling images from our generation's greatest mythology.

Dark Horse Comics celebrates the art of Star Wars comics with a new book, Star Wars: Panel to Panel. It presents an amazing selection of covers and interior images from over a decade of Dark Horse's comics and graphic novels by some of the best artists the world over. Included are Dave Dorman, Hugh Fleming, Cam Kennedy, Tsuneo Sanda, Terese Nielsen, Kia Asamiya, Jon Foster, Kilian Plunkett, and many more.

This 192-page 9" x 12" paperback is a visual feast for Star Wars fans, and is scheduled for release on September 29, 2004.

There's also an announcement for free comic day on the same page:
    TOS Update

What do yo

2. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    What do yo

Yo! :p Seriously, I can't wait for this book. Randy's been talking about it for a long time. I wonder what the price for something like this will be?

There have been some really awesome SW covers made, and I'll be glad to see some of them on paper and not just the overly compressed JPEGs that I've been looking at for all these years. (No, I don't own every single issue and TPB made.)

3. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Intresting. One book celebrating the artwork which has appeared in the various Star Wars comics. Perhaps this may get more people intrested in checking out the stories which appear in the comics.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That looks pretty good. I will definitely order that from Amazon.

5. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Same here. Looks like it'll be something to keep and treasure.

6. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    awesome. this lookos really cool, and it's a great idea. :D

7. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    Especially excited about interior art. For someone who loves good Star Wars art, but can't pick up all the TPBs (due to avaiablity / meagre allowance) this will be a wonderful archive.

EDIT: I love the choice of images for the cover. The Jabiim Obi-Wan is my favourite piece of SW art to date, the Maul is excellent, the Jabba is truly excellent...all the pictures are full of emotion and texture.

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Oops, that was supposed to be What do you think? [face_blush]

It looks pretty good, I'm definently going to pick this one up when I see it.

9. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Wasn't Randy involved with this project too? I remember he neede help finding out who the guy on the Phantom Affair covers was (Loka Hask, btw).

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I don't know, where did you hear that?

He does work for Dark Horse, so I imagine that he was very involved to some degree.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Randy was involved on this.

Sounds very cool- the Dark Horse comics covers have had some of the best cover/poster art for the whole saga ever produced. great to have such great works all in one spot without the logos.

12. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Randy is the one writing and organising this book if I remember correctly, Jeremy may be helping too - this has been in the works for probably about two years, I once posted a list of ideas for what I'd like to see DHC do and hit jackpot when I mentioned a art of DHC book as Randy was already in the process of collecting the stuff he wanted for such a project.

It's so cool to finally see this coming out - I think he said it will be a little more than a normal tpb in price btw, he didn't want hardcover as he wanted the largest possible audience - who don't want to pay loads, though I personally would happily pay for a hardcover edition if there ever was one.

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    When was the project announced/

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Rite of Passage
    Empire: Betrayal
    Stark Hyperspace War
    Last Stand on Jabiim

They all had maybe two out of four issue covers. You feel cheated when they aren't included. You don't have to have concept art, but for a TPB their respective covers are mandatory. You can fit as many as two on a page; two extra TPB pages tops. How hard is it?

I'll bet CW4: Light and Dark also has little or no cover art.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    CW4 probably will have the cover art ala Volume 1, since it's not a 4-part story like Jabiim was, but three stand alones that form a greater story arc.

16. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    without the logos

You said it. I've got the Dorman SW Art book and it's really something to look at the stuff he's done when it's just the artwork itself without anything over it.

17. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    You can get logoless covers by going to DarkHorse.com a month before the comic's release.

I do want to get this book though....

18. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    While I think it's probably a nice coffee table book, I don't have a coffee table, so I'll skip it. :p

19. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Nearly 200 pages, though. Wonder what the price would be like. NEGVV here is around $60 I think. Or a a third if imported.

20. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    >>You can get logoless covers by going to DarkHorse.com a month before the comic's release.<<

Computer monitors don't smell as nice as glossy pages ;)

21. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    While I think it's probably a nice coffee table book, I don't have a coffee table, so I'll skip it.

Improvise

22. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    JediTrilobite - When was it announced?... You mean officially? I think Randy officially said something end of last year.

This is the thread on DHC boards where I first asked and Randy mentioned the art of book -

http://www.darkhorse.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2146&start=0

Lol, I got my dates wrong a bit. But it has been in the works since at least the start of 2003.

23. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Ok. This is the first that I've heard about it.

24. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    No probs, it is good news anyway. I have wanted something like this for a long time, I think now with the excellent art they are bringing out is a good a time as ever. So I look forward to September. So far, I think this has been the year of DHC in terms of SW material, the Clone Wars animation being a close second.

25. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Eh... the Clone Wars animation isn't that great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.