main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI Star Wars Pepsi Cans

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Knight_Fisto, Apr 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Knight_Fisto

Jedi_Knight_Fisto Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    Does any one know if Pepsi's going to have Star Wars characters on the cans again like they did with episode 1? I sure hope they do.

2. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    I heared that they were not doing it this time. I was hopeing they would to so I could pull of the same stunt that I did to get all of Episode I cans. [face_devil]

3. huttese1138

huttese1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Pepsi will not have any affiliation with AOTC, it was reported a while ago. This move makes no sense.

4. FearAndBullets

FearAndBullets Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2001
    I tend to look at it from the marketing point-of-view, that EPI TPM was well overhyped and cost companies millions. Pepsi owns Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC, etc. They got burned and Lucas knows that. Even though TPM came in as, what?, the 3 or 4 highest grossing movie of all time, the fast food companies didn't reflect that in their earnings and Lucas decided to cut his promotional ties down 2/3rds.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the cans too, but I'm really starting to feel the burden of the Lucas marketing machine. How many different figures come out of the same character? How many different soundtrack covers are there (4)? How do they differ from what Target(extra track) or Walmart(screen saver) is selling? How many Star Wars items are labeled as "Collectors"? Personally, I'm getting fed up with it and it's makin me mad as I speak. Is this just a great series of movies or is it a marketing experiment aimed to find out how much and what will the market allow? Companies constantly refer to Lucas as a marketing powerhouse and a standard on how to do things and I can't help but feel that I'm Lucas's cattle. Blahhhhh...

5. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
    F&B, this is how I look at it. I know that the some of the marketing may be aimed at collectors, but I also think that lucas aims it at the kids. A collector purchases what he wants. If you aim to collect everything that is placed on the market, then it will eventually break you, and I don't think that is Lucas' idea. I also know that my son is going bonkers to get his hands on the new toys. It gives him a variety to pick and choose what character toy or gizmo from the movie that he likes best. I know that when I saw Star Wars for the first time as a wee lad of ten, I couldn't get my hands on enough SW figures or toys, BUT I had a limitation (my mom and dad weren't loaded), so I had to choose wisely. I personally like the variety and if I could purchase everyone of them for my son, I would. Do I tend to pick up the potato chips that have episode II on them? Hell yeah I do, but I also bought Frito lays before the Episode II bags were released. I also went to Taco Bell. I guess what I'm saying is that I did not increase consumption of a particular product BECAUSE it had Episode I or II as a marketing ploy. I am a Star Wars nut, but I am not going to exceed my boundaries because of it.

And, BLAH BLAH BLAH...I guess that I got a bit long winded there, sorry. :( But look at the bright side, ONLY 18 MORE DAY TO EPISODE II!!!! :D :D :D

6. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    If you put so much out on the market to buy people will get tired of it and it will sit there and collect dust. I still see Episode I toys out there. There was so much stuff for Episode I that people got tired of looking at and attacked the movie.

7. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Good points,Scooby.From the POV of someone who only collects in small amounts,I've never really given much thought to the amount of stuff that's out there,except that there seems to be mre of it now than when I was a kid.

FearandBullets-You made good points too,and i know that a lot of serious collectors would agree with you,but at the same time,it's not Lucas is putting a blaster to anyone's head to make them buy stuff,either.All of the marketing strategies and advertising don't change the fact that the choice ultimately lies with the consumer.We choose to be consumers,or not to be.

Ironically,elected officials all but ignore younger people,but almost all of the advertising is directed at us.We seem to have a louder voice in the marketplace than we do in the political arena.So if you guys want to send advertisers a message,use the voice they've given us and do so with your dollars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.