main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Star Wars Planets

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Moon Labutto, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How do people do with planets whose cultures have technology that are below the standard for SW but are more(-or-less) advanced then our technology? I mean how do you decide what kind of technology they have and have not? I have a system for this (I can post it if people are interested) but I want to know how others do it.

Also, I have been thinking a bit about desert worlds and if people want suggestions on how to make your desolated desert planet different from the other sand covered rocks out there do I have some ideas.

Oh yea, Ossus was used in the Legacy comics and had really nothing that made me think that it was Ossus.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I use three things, from what I recall.

Beamtubes, which I think are backpack mounted blasters, possibly from the Brian Daley Han Solo trilogy. The tech has not been miniaturised to the SW standard of easily portable pistols, carbines and rifles.

Ground vehicles with wheels, rather than repulsorlift / hover. Quite easy to write, as we have that here on Earth.

Projectile weapons, rather than blaster and laser technology. Can't remember where I mentioned it recently, but I found it easier to describe projectile weapons, due to reading several Miami Vice tie-in novels.

You have a system, do you? Do tell.

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I seem to recall GURPS having an interesting system at one point, but after a quick Google search I found that it is a bit more complicated than what I read some fifteen years ago or so. Here it is.

Gamiel and Sith-I-5 like this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Wow, that was a lot more involved than I expected.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    My system for creating the technological “level” of a world that is supposed to be above ours but below galactic standard is that I take a look a movie, game or similar stuff that takes place in a world that is more advanced than ours but less than SW’s and then model the worlds technology after that. I actually think older SF stories are better for this than modern once since SW is a retro science fiction ‘verse and the misses in technological development that old stories made makes it more fitting for SW if you ask me.

If you cannot decide which SF-world to use do I suggest making a list of the SF-worlds that you know of and then throw a dice. It is maybe also a good idea that you make a summary of what kind of tech that movie/game/other have and don’t have.

For example Blade Runner have: advanced biodroids both in the shape of humans and animals; flying cars exist but they are vessels for the government and the elite; no internet, at least as we understand it; no mobile phones or similar devices, maybe car-phones; large space colonisation program; memory reading devices; video phones; FTL–travel;

Here is an example list that is my own, other people probably have other SF-worlds.

Tech Table - 1D10
    1. I, robot (the movie)
    2. Blade Runner
    3. Neuromancer
    4. Phantom 2040
    5. Twilight’s Home: the Second Empire (an Swedish’s RPG, the original title is ‘Skymnings hem: det andra imperiet’)
    6. Firefly
    7. Avatar
    8. Elysium
    9. Century Knight
    10. Demolition Man

A summary what they have/don’t have is below the spoiler, it is a personal summary and not really fully finished so if people see some piece of technology that I have missed, just comment.

I, robot – humanoid robots (most without any more advanced AI) that seems to mostly have servant roles are common; non-humanoid robots for things like demolition, transportation, etc.; cars with self driving capacity, at least in the in the cities; medical cybernetics that is as good as the original and can even enhance the cyborgs abilities, non-medical cybernetics are not seen; small holographic projectors that create holograms that appear real from the right angle; no smart phones and most people use bluetooths;

Blade Runneradvanced biodroids both in the shape of humans and animals; flying cars exist but they are vessels for the government and the elite; no internet, at least as we understand it; no mobile phones or similar devices outside of car-phones; large space colonisation program; memory reading devices; video phones; FTL–travel;

Neuromancer – an advanced internet with VR function that connect at least all the big cities and companies; cybernetics are advanced with much non-medical cybertech and rather common; mnemonic curriers; mind-interface; fully liveable space stations; no mobile phones or similar devices;

Phantom 2040 – humanoid robots that are used for guard duty, menial works and servant for the rich; fling cars and motorcycles; active camo’ both for vesicles and humans; full immersion VR-games; an advanced internet with VR function; advanced medical cybernetics; no smart phones; fully liveable space stations; hologram, crysleep; super-smart Artificial Intelligences;

Twilight’s Home: the Second Empire – hover cars and motorcycles; no fire-weapons beside fire-lances (think Jaffa staffs); exo-armour; active camo-suits; smart phone like devices; internet like interstellar communication; droids;

Firefly – slow (generation ship) interstellar travel; easy interplanetary travel; railgun pistols; hover crafts; interplanetary internet; advanced terraformation technology; cryosleep;

Avatar – mini-mechas; railgun pistols; advanced biotechnology (not cheap), ex. the avatars; deep sleep chambers; hologram interface; slow FTL travel; flying drones;

Elysium – highly advanced medical technology; quick surface-to-space spaceships and missiles; enhancing cybernetics; cyber-linked exoskeletons; humanoid robots that are used for policing, guard duty and servant for the rich; flying drones; fully liveable space stations;

Century Knight – exo-armour; nano-based 3d printers; expensive interstellar flight with little room for spaces with life support; advanced medical cybernetic, brain transplant into a full ‘borg body is actually the usual way many do interstellar travel; mind-interface; non-sapient robots in many different shapes; internet; mind uploaded media;

Demolition Man –self-driving cars with auto inflation wheels; internet; anti-graphite systems; tracking chips; stun batons; video phones; cryosleep; memory implants when in cryosleep; “quick freeze seeds”; tablet computer;
    I think that is the Tech-Level system from the latest edition, which is a bit more complicated then the old one.

I am most familiar with the older, simpler system which I don't think is so workable with the SW universe, after all how do you classify the Ewoks or the Gungans tech-level in that system.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  6. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    I personally agree with this. One of the advantages of fan-fiction is to explore a universe and add a personal twist. If a writer figured it would be interesting if the heroes came upon a planet made of blue cheese with orbiting cows ... well, why not right ?

mavjade , jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Okay, who is writing this?!

jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I would.

At the end of a day,
    Everyting is gorgonzola, anyway.

Darth_Furio , jcgoble3 and mavjade like this.
  9. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I think a world's technology level is dependent on the culture. You could have a world that is highly technically advanced but because of the culture, the people choose to use low-level technology. You could have people using knives and rocks on a starship because their laws or religion or cultural norms disallow weaponry of a higher techology.

So my point (and I think I do have one :rolleyes: ) is that when I create a world, I start with the culture's core beliefs. What do they value? What do they yearn for, fear the most?

Also, it's hard to set a technological level on a world unless that world has not been exposed to higher technology. Otherwise people tend to adapt the latest cool thingy, and then that technology spreads all over. Think of cell phones. I'm old enough to remember when nobody had them, now we can't function without them. I think by necessity you'll see roughly the same level of technology on inhabited worlds in the GFFA unless that technology is limited by culture or by poverty.

There are so many worlds in the GFFA that are mentioned but not developed. I'll take a character who is from that world, figure out what their defining characteristics are, then extrapolate that to back-form their culture and that tells me their technology.

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Aaaand this is why it's dead easy to write about stuff set on Endor if you're the type who once wrote about exploding children!

Voltron64 and divapilot like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have to disagree with you, unless technology is already manufactured on your planet the only way for you to get it is if other people bring it to you and unless you have something of interest or are on/beside a trafficked route the amount of ships coming your way is going to be small.

12. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Both of you are right; neither assertion is mutually-exclusive, and a lot of the believability in that realm comes from how much work the author puts into their stories.

13. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Hmmm, planets. Some good points already raised here. I'd like to add two seemingly contradictory thoughts for discussion.

1. The monoclimate trope.
    I see a lot planets in sci-fi (including fanfic) which feature worlds with just one environment. It's a snow world. It's a desert world. It's a forest moon. The truth is all of these landscapes are here on Earth - one single planet. Sometimes I wish for a bit more thought going into how planets differ from equator to poles. What if Tatooine is only inhabitable at the poles (and even then still pretty hot), while the equator offers a fiery hell full of lava?

Related to this, I think we (including me! I'm fully guilty of this!) too often set stories on nicely Earth-like planets for our characters. TFA disappointed me a bit in that every single world they visited (except Jakku perhaps) looked like, well, Vermont: Trees, water, nice blue sky, breathable atmosphere. There's a big galaxy out there, and it would be nice to imagine how different environments will affect how stories and conflicts are played out. One need only study the moons of Jupiter or Saturn for inspiration of very different planets to play with.

2. The goldilocks zone.
    Completely in reverse to the above, some sci-fi (including fanfic) sets communities in places that seem, well, very far-fetched logistically. If you look at a heat-map of the Earth and overlay population density, you'll see a distinct concentration away from the more hostile regions (be they barren tundra or desert, mountainous regions etc). NASA has coined the term "the Goldilocks zone" in its search for planets likely to sustain life. They're not too hot, and not too cold. Geddit, like Goldilocks trying the porridge! I think we can accept that for purely logistical reasons most settlements will occur on Goldilocks planets that offer at least some value. They will be the most valuable to any Empire or Republic or First Order fighting over the galaxy, too. So, in this way, TFA got it spot on. (And I feel validated in setting stories in nice temperate jungles afterall :D)

I suppose a compromise is something like Bespin, a gas giant like Jupiter, which offers commercial benifit but also severe problems for potential settlements. The result? An artificial city floating above the planet created to mine its assets. Pretty believable to me, looking at how NASA et al are actually, really approaching potential space settlement.

Kuri

14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Something in the last five posts, made me want to say how much, when I reviewed books for my SW club, I enjoyed writing about D'vouran, from the Galaxy of Fear: Eaten Alive book.

The planet tried to eat you, did it? Well, the clue was in the name!

Also, Necropolis, same series.

I too, would tackle the blue cheese world, though if there are orbitting cows, there has been a crime to investigate, or a cargo hatch-related incident.

Goodwood and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Has anyone thought about mixing New Canon planets like Jakku with Old EU Canon like Drumand Kas? Would you place them in the same galaxy?

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have not, mostly because I found the new planets boring, but I am interested in using things like the Guavian Death Gang and Kanjiklub and the few animals we see. If I used them, I would probably place them in the same galaxy.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  17. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008

I need a boring planet for my next fic. Perferably somewhere with lots of trees.Takodana seemed like a good spot.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Of course I would place them in the same galaxy!

I am already mixing Rodians and Rathtar.

That Trillium Massacre; I am making Trillium the site of a bio-tech lab, looking to mobilise Sarlaccs.

Darth_Furio , Ewok Poet and jcgoble3 like this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I have been mixing Canon and Legends before it was cool. Do it. :)

*puts on a pair of empty glasses frames and takes a chug of PBR, then panically spits it, remembering she's allergic to maltose and doesn't like alcohol, anyway*

Darth_Furio and Kurisan like this.
  20. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Yeah, I'm with Ewok Poet! They are in the same galaxy and unless they've been destroyed by a Death Star planets tend to last a very long time.;)

I often like to take planets from the OT for settings of tales in the CW era, and vice versa. *dons ironic trilby* "Before it was cool."

EDIT: I see the original question was mixing EU planets and those from the films, but I think the answer stands...[face_blush]

Darth_Furio and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am toying with an "sector" in the central Unknown Regions, relatively near the sorcerers of Rhand's territory and looking for suggestions on what kind of planets and civilisations to put in it. I am using the map of the Periphery sub-sector from the Only War RPG as an inspiration on how it looks.

Since this is the Unknown Regions I want the area to be a bit hostile but not have every living world to be a death world.

Regarding the civilisations so are the my thoughts that non should be as advanced as galactic standard, especially not when it comes to space travel; for most groups traveling between even nearby systems should take days if not weeks or more.

So any suggestions?

EDIT: any suggestions on threats, beside pirates, are also appreciated :)

22. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    I've already been mixing new canon elements into Legends-set stories. Noted so far, Gorse is going to be a setting in Odd Partnerships, and I introduced an Abednedo character in the most recent chapter of Paranormalities. And though technically it was introduced about two months before the Legends decision, I have had both the names "Korriban" and "Moraband" used for the same planet in the same story.

Gamiel likes this.
  23. Moon Labutto

Moon Labutto Jedi Knight

Mar 29, 2016
    I wonder how would you feel if someone did make up a planet for a specific purpose, and was not born out of convenience, but rather the Planet's creation was born out of backstory. Especially when the rest of the planets in the story are already in existence within the Star Wars Universe. My story that I am writing is scatter brained across the known galaxy. So far I've included Bestine, Kashyyyk, Coruscant, Mustafar, and a planet I call Kreyton...I've got some cool ideas for back story on this planet, but I don't want to give away any details as I kind of want it to be a surprise for when I finish the book. If I do not finish it or use the ideas, I will post them so that they may be useful to others. But in the first book I'm writing, it will only be mentioned.

As far as Bestine goes, I still find very little information on it. I've imagined it, for my book, to be topographically, a little like the Earth in the movie Water World. A few isolated natural islands, more man made islands, and the rest unending ocean. They would be more technologically advanced, however, and wold have many offshore drilling rigs, much more culture, a huge ship building enterprise (both water and space craft), and several large cities with which few engage in intergalactic commerce, but only those that are large enough to have space ports. On my Bestine, there are few islands large enough for such cities, and most populated areas are smaller towns and fishing villages. I'm also playing with the idea of an underwater species with a relationship similar to that seen between the Gungans and the humans on Naboo.

24. Moon Labutto

Moon Labutto Jedi Knight

Mar 29, 2016

I just go where my imagination takes me. So far I've just been recycling tech from The Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War because it fits the time period and budget of the factions at work. But I recently had one of my characters using flint knapping and prehistoric stone and wood tools. As brief as it was, I thought it was interesting to include.

25. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007

Man...now I just feel like a jerk. :( I guess that's what I get for not fully explaining myself [face_shame_on_you]

If someone made a planet as part of their story, that's totally fine! What I was trying to say is I just get frustrated when I read stories and the author makes up a planet seemingly for convenience. It doesn't have a history or an ecology or a life cycle or...anything beyond what they need it to be. THAT's what frustrates me. If you're going to write a story and flesh out a planet you've created with as much brain-bytes spent on it as your character development...well then it's basically a character, and good for you! [face_peace]

The other thing about it (for me) as I thought was...I'm not an "author" in the strictest sense of the word. I enjoy writing, but I don't write books or...original things. I write fanfic, and that's what I love. I think the thing I love best about writing fan fiction is that I have to write within an existing framework (AU excluded). Leia cannot be a shy lesbian, Vader cannot have a flower garden, Luke cannot be a drunken miscreant who deserts the rebellion and sets up his own circus. They are existing characters and I have to write them within that framework..and that's why I love it. And even in writing AU's, I think the fun of those is to take people we feel like we know and love and put them in different circumstances, but at the core they are still the same people.

That's why I (personally) don't create planets. I like that we have a broad range of planets that we can use for our stories, and that there are some ones that are pretty ambiguous and I can kinda make into whatever I want (sort of like developing an extra from Jabba's palace and giving him/her a backstory that you made yourself). I like having to work within that framework, it kinda adds to the fun and the challenge...but that's just my opinion. But if someone creates their own planet...haha, it's like they're creating an OC! And that's fine by me [:D]