main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson STAR WARS "plot holes"

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by thatsMISTERwookiee, Mar 15, 2006.

1. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Anybody got any problems with some of the movie storylines that didn't make sense or left more questions than they answered? This is the place to list them, maybe somebody else has got the answers...

Why is Leia called "Princess"? She's the adopted daughter of SENATOR Bail Organa, who is refered to as a VICEROY from Alderran in the original STAR WARS book. Neither title earns Leia the title of "princess". Where does this royalty stuff come from?

And for Jimmy Smits fans: There is no reason to believe that Bail Organa is dead. Yes, Alderran was blown up, and Obi-Wan was supposed to meet him there, but he COULD have left when word reached him that Leia's ship had been destroyed. He had no reason to trust an Imperial message, therefore he would suspect foul play, and even if Leia really was dead, wouldn't the burden then fall on Bail to find Obi-Wan himself?

2. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Midichlorians...............nuff said

3. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    Bail Organa's wife is a queen. I just read this in my last issue of SW Insider, it says: "According to the character's backstory, Bail Organa serves as viceroy..blah blah blah...His wife, Breha, is Alderaan's queen." Thus, Leia is a princess.

4. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    I never knew that, thanks.

Why did Yoda go to Dagoba? Was it the "massive life forms" that hid him from other force users?

Kathryn- "Car mon allié est la Force, et c'est de mes alliés la plus puissante."
    -Yoda, L'Empire Contre-Attaque

Your sig... french for "For my ally in the Force. And a
    powerful ally it is"?

5. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    That's probably one reason. I recall from Heir to the Empire (I think) that there was a strong dark side presence there (i.e. the cave) that would hide/negate his Force presence. Of course with the prequels out now, the reason may have changed...

Oui oui.

6. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Oooo, Bon.

7. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    that is the same thing I read about dagobah.. that the dark presence neutralizes the light side.. they just cancel each other out.. or for whatever reason the dark side shows more..

there are tons of plot holes.. who shot first always comes to mind

blood from a cauterized wound..

a dead mother that a child has memories of not having been dead at the time she was supposedly dead..

and so on and so forth.. hard to think of all of them at 1am

8. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    In the ORIGINAL version of STAR WARS, not the wussified A NEW HOPE, Han shoots, he scores! Greedo never gets off a shot.

Blood from a cauterized wound, simple. Lucas needed the blood to get a PG movie rating, as back in 1977 a G rating for a movie was considered a kiss of death for a film. It would be considered a family film, a kiddie film, and the regular viewing audience would stay away(how WRONG was he!). Hence, from a man who wanted "realistic-looking" sci-fi, an unrealistic shot of blood from a cauterized wound.

9. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    I think Leia was reffering to her adopted mother or possibly the force was so strong with them it imprinted memories as far back as birth?

10. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    an adopted mother would not be her "real" mother.. and Luke did specify "real" mother.. and as for the force memories all the way back to birth.. it could be.. but GL intentionally made it appear this was not the case.. even went as far to bring attention to it when he did the commentary for ROTJ.

yes.. easy explanaton for the wound cauterization.. except .. why not fix it when GL added all those other little tidbits.. such as the rest of the Cantina scene he "made better" by fixing it.. let alone adding in all the stuff with Jabba at the docking bay.. instead he left it as was.. making no sense at all... sigh.. down the drain with the plot holes..

11. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    This isn't quite a plot hole, but it is another mind boggling case of "Star Warsian" units (like Han making the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs) that I just have to share ...
    I was reading the last book in the Dark Nest trilogy (there are no spoilers ahead!) and at one point, a character exclaims, "They [those circuits] had carbon molecules stacked a hundred moles high!"
    Well, first a mole is a unit of amount not distance, it means you 6.02x10^23 of something. So, I can only assume that they are talking about the distance 100 moles of carbon atoms would span if they were stacked one on top of the other....so, me, being an engineering student, found the relevant data (the distance between 2 carbon atoms in graphite is 1.4x10^-10 m, though I'm sure the atoms in the carbon scoring have more distance between them), got out my trusty calculator, and calculated that that many carbon molecules would span 8.43x10^15 meters....the distance from the Sun to Pluto is only 5.91x10^12 meters!
    [face_thinking] I can tell the author is real science whiz.
    I hope you all didn't mind my little diatribe :D

12. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    wow ObiCat, I am impressed. I have to take my shoes of to count to 20. :(

There are a number of things "physically, mentally and just outright wrong" with a half a million movies out there...we love the SW series..and that is all that matters...except for Jar Jar...ugh. [face_beatup]

13. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Ewolks? "nub nub...."

14. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006

HUH??????????? You totally lost me on that one..........LOL What is wrong with Han making the kessel run in 12 1/2 parsecs?

15. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    they depend on the majority of the people reading the books to not know the facts.. and the ones that do.. they depend on to not care.. or at least not mind that the author is not up on the actual facts.. either way.. some impressive knowledge you have there.. I love Math; Science; Engineering..and they all HATE me!! Figuratively you know[face_whistling]

16. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005

17. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Maybe nobody told Leia she was adopted...

18. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006

19. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Just as usual showing that GL changes the story as he goes along!! which is why Padme' is really alive.. at least till the twins are about two yrs old. 8-}

20. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Somewhat good source to explain some of those smaller plot holes. http://massassi.yavin4.com/introl.htm or also interesting under cut scenes and images.... http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/

Also remember I have a pre-ep.1 CD set that has the lost footage and orig. scripts, good source of information if anyone wants to check them out

21. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003

22. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    Well seeing as how I worship the name of Star Wars with blind faith, I don't CARE how it is. It IS Star Wars... that's a good enough explanation for me!

I nominate this thread be deleted on the charges of blasphemy!!!

23. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Blind faith the band with Steve Winwood? I don't see a conection to that band and star wars. :oops:

OK, just something I noticed watch "sith" on cable here. The scene with Obi-Wan "sneeks" onto Padme's ship so he can find and confront Vader was taken out of that version. Padme boards the ship and next scene is Obi-Wan "force closing" the door.

Bad edit.

Something else that kinda bothered me in "Sith". You see Palps tell Vader to send the signal to shut down the droid army, but you never see Vader do it.. I don't know why that bothers me.

24. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Just a little side note of interest, not really a "plot hole". In ESB, when Han escapes the asteroid field and hides the Falcon on the backside of the Star Destroyer, the Imperials can't find him and makes mention that the Falcon is "too small for a cloaking device". Yet when in any of the six films or TV movies/specials or cartoon series did any of the Star Wars vessels use a cloaking device? Cloaking devices had to be common enough for the Imp officer to consider the idea.

Also, on a lighter note(c-sharp, anyone?), in ANH, when Vader is force-choking the guy on the Death Star, and Tarkin finally says, "Vader, enough! Release him!"
    Vader's response is, "As you wish."
    What hidden message is Vader really saying to Tarkin? (THINK "THE PRINCESS BRIDE")[face_love]

25. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    LOL or think Schwarzenegger in Commando