main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson STAR WARS "plot holes"

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by thatsMISTERwookiee, Mar 15, 2006.

1. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    Oh dear, *shakes head*. You know, I'm actually reading that book right now...

2. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Princess bride? How is it, I've always meant to get around to reading that book.

3. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    Once it actually gets to the story, it's quite enjoyable, and, of course, you have to read the "abridged" version by William Goldman, and not the "original" by S. Morgenstern.

4. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Other than the length, what is the difference?

5. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    Lol, the difference is that the original version doesn't exist.

6. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    O, DUH! OK. [face_blush]

7. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I assume at one time it did exist.. makes one wonder what happened to it... and why??????????????????..........

8. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    After the blockage runner was overtaken from the star destroyer (ep.4)

From memory, not EXACT quotes?.

Imp gunner 1: "Their goes ANOTHER one"
    Imp gunner 2: "Hold your fire, no life signs aboard. Must have short circuited during the battle"

Later Vader is told "An escape pod was jettisoned during the fighting, no life signs were aboard"

Vader: ?She must have hidden the plans on the escape pod?..?

1st gunner said Another one, like others were jettisoned.

Later Vader was told An escape pod, meaning one pod.

[face_whistling]OK, it's small and anal, but it's a hole none the less. Not that I mean the small hole is anal, that it's nitpicking. [face_whistling]

9. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Not a plot hole, but a short note to remember the forgotten fallen.
    Remember on ANH, prisoners were taken by the Empire off of Leia's ship, including Leia.

They didn't get rescued when Leia was rescued by Han, Luke, and Chewie.

And there was no reason to believe there was time or a reason to transfer them off of the Death Star before the battle of Yavin, and the destruction of the Death Star with everybody that was on board.

To paraphrase Super Chicken, "They knew the job was dangerous when they took it."

10. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    O....O...o... I never thought of that...... wow! Good point!

11. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    The movie is ANH. Red Leader has just finished his attack run ("impacted on the surface"), Luke looks down, sees Vader closing in on Red Leader, and offers to cover his escape.
    Red Leader responds, "...I just lost my starboard engine."
    Scene switches to Vader firing on Red Leader, and Vader's shots hit the right engines on Red Leader's X-wing and knocks out those engines, causing Red Leader to "impact on the surface" of the Death Star.

The problem? Left is Port, Right IS STARBOARD! How could he have lost his starboard engines before they were shot out?

Nitpick Point: Red Leader says starboard ENGINE, yet there are four ENGINES on the X-wing, two on a side. Why didn't he say ENGINES? The original concept sketches of the X-wing had a "split-engine" design on each side which evolved into the four engine model used in the movie.

12. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Print was fliped? Bad edit?

As far as port and starboard, this was written by the same guy that wrote "...made the Kessle run in less that 12 parsects"

13. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    spelling fixed. anal ol' me.
    anyhow, that is explained, and while he most likely hadn't thought it all out, he explains later that, yes, a parsec is a measurement of distance, what he means is that the computer was able to calculate a route that the ship could go through in the shortest distance, therefore time.

lol its all in the old Hyperspace thread...

14. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    It's also on the first page of this thread.

15. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    yes, I heard the commentary track... and Lucas is totally stagering through the explination. Even he didn't believe his own explination about the falcon's upgraded navicomputer.

16. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    SCIENCE vs SCIENCE FICTION, or why it pays to keep chanting, "It's only a movie"...

Force, Schmorce! Obi-Wan and Anakin should've sizzled like bacon when they fought on those flying platforms over the molten lava on Mustafar! Not to mention all the toxic fumes coming from said magma...

It's only a movie, it's only a movie, it's only a movie...

17. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    Oh, but there must be some sort of protection field around the person standing on one of those lava platform! [face_liarliar]

18. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005

So the little anti-grav droid that Anakin was balanced on also had a "protection field" built into it on the off-chance that somebody would jump on top of it?

Scientifically, it wouldn't work, but cinematically, it looked great.
    It's only a movie, it's only a movie...

19. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Not Star Wars related, but in the movie, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", were they the knights who say "Nee", or the knights who say "Knee"?

20. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    Well, in an example of just how bored I am, I put the dvd in and turned on subtitles, and it is in fact "Ni!", "Peng!" and "Nee-Wom!"

21. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Few men who hear those sounds live to tell the tale.

22. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Non-STAR WARS subject that has always puzzled me...

If you have a thousand, that is a one with 3 zeroes.
    A million is a one with 6 zeroes.
    A billion is a one with 9 zeroes.
    A trillion is a one with 12 zeroes.
    A zillion is a one with 15 zeroes, and so on...

Whatever the name of the amount, if you only have one of it(see above examples) it will be followed by zeroes in multiples of three(also see above examples).

So why then is a one with 100 zeroes after it called "a google"? If you follow the logical progression of our numeric system, then "a" google should have 99 zeroes after it. A one followed by 100 zeroes should be called ten google.

Just wondered why science doesn't know how to count...

23. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    The zeroes on decimeters (10^-1 m), centimeters (10^-2 m), and Angstroms (10^-10 m), etc are also not in multiples of three...
    Besides, 10^100 is just such a nice round number :)

24. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006

Many film cells were flipped you can also see some Death Star gunners antennaes on the right side of their helmet.

25. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    I'd still like to know what "damn fool idealistic crusade" Obi took Ani on. He told Luke that's why Owen would not allow Luke to have Ani's saber (or at that point it was Vader's). Maybe it was all a lie, Kenobi was quite good at lying to Luke, so was Yoda... poor Luke. :_|