main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #1-6: Black Squadron, Lockdown (6/6 released) & SaBBotage

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    This is a Wendig comic?

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes, it is. And while I didn't like his prose in a novel, I think I'll like it much more in comic form.

3. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Interesting. The first two comics haven't been bad at all. I agree his prose in a novel wasn't great but if you can get around it the story itself wasn't bad.

4. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Just to be clear, Wendig is writing the TFA adaptation. Poe is by Charles Soule.

5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yes. Wendig's comic isn't going to come out until later on in June.

6. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    (Issue 3 preview)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's official, Terex is Kallus 2.0. ;)

Gorefiend, spicer, Jedi Ben and 4 others like this.
  7. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    "First Order Security Bureau". Sheesh! Such copycats!

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  8. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    “You stole First Order property that we paid for”.
    Okay now I think I understand the ‘thieves’ part of Kylo's line “murderers, traitors and thieves you call friends”. That kinda confused me in the movie, as it was such an oddly specific category of crime to complain about.

NO.

9. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Where does the lettered preview come from, by the way?

10. Karl0413

Mar 11, 2015
  11. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    So if there's a fist order security bereau, I suppose it'd be reasonable to assume there's a first order ruling council, a first order royal guard....pretty much everything the empire had just with the first order symbol on it :p

ATimson likes this.
  12. Karl0413

Mar 11, 2015
    Oh, you are just now thinking their might be a Ruling Council in the First Order? The thought didn't occur when JJ Abrams, Kathleen Kennedy, Pablo Hildago and dozens of others referred to it as a "military junta"? o_O

13. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    What I wanna know is how the First Order going to be able to bring up charges for Poe in a New Republic court? I bet the NR would be like "you have no authority here. GTFO"

La Calavera likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Alright, catching up on this series now...

Pretty fun first issue. The egg is a bit weird but, hey, stranger things, right? ("I like your egg." [face_laugh] ). Soule does a fantastic job of capturing Poe's character voice. I could totally hear Isaac's voice delivering them all. The First Order mini-carrier platform craft was also a neat little addition. I wasn't sure how well Phil Noto's style would translate to an X-Wing-like series after the Chewbacca series (I enjoyed the art there but it felt very specific) but it's quite good and it feels more defined than the Chewbacca series.

The Sabotage backup story was cute as well.

And then for the second issue- before I read the whole "evil Lando" description of Terex, the first thing that kinda came to mind when we first see him with that mustache and personality is Phantom Limb from The Venture Bros (just, you know, with visible arms and a little more hair).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Yes, that part is confusing.

16. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Now we have the first order security bereau, think we'll ever get first order commandos?

ATimson likes this.
  17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I assume he means he could turn Poe over to the Republic and have them try him, since the Resistance is semi-illegal at best. Presumably the trade-off would be something like the risk of a sympathetic court versus the risk that the NR objects to having one of its citizens tried by the First Order.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Great minds, huh? ;)

The2ndQuest likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Great minds think a mustache.

vncredleader and CooperTFN like this.
  20. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

I was doing this without even realizing it. It's that natural.

CooperTFN and The2ndQuest like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't think they have a Ruling Council, no. That's not the same as a military junta in the slightest. The Ruling Council are civilians.

The ICS makes it clear the FO does not, in fact, have a bureaucracy and sprawling ministries like the Empire did.

Having a secret police is in line with a military dictatorship. A court is not.

This is why the FO is a failure.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. Karl0413

Mar 11, 2015
    They're still both Oligarchies. :p

By the way, what do you think of Terex's statement "Titles matter?" [face_mischief]

23. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Is this just a five part series or will there be more?

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's an ongoing series. The first story arc, Black Squadron, will presumably be five issues.

Sarg_Kulo likes this.
  25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    3/5

So what's in the egg? Continue reading if you can't wait, but I would recommend buying it if you already have the first 2.

Not one, but two giant creatures. A white one first emerges that attacks everyone, good and bad guys. Then out of the rest of the egg comes the black one. It is mentioned that they can grow larger (and smaller) so I guess the black one was busy getting bigger to attack and kill the white one, and ultimately it was the black one that was the savior to take the Creche to their new world at the end.

While the creatures fight, Black Squadron is fighting for their lives. Once the creatures break out of the ceiling of the cavern, they are able to land. Jess gets hit and her droid is destroyed, but I never felt any of them were in grave danger.

Speaking of also no danger, Poe and Terex spent the whole issue arguing. Poe throws a punch but it's a distraction to grab his gun. When the black creature emerges, Poe is distracted and Terex attacks in an attempt to get his gun back. When the creatures break through the ceiling, rocks falling killing the First Order troopers, distracting Terex and BB-8 (or as Poe says in the comic Bee-Bee Ate) zaps him.

To wash their hands of everything, the Poe and his Resistance Team leave Terex behind and he mentions he has to head to a prison as the Creche told him where Lor was headed next for helping save their lives.

I appreciate this issue resolving the mystery and setting up the next adventure, but it felt like A LOT of talking and no one was really in any danger.