main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jan 13, 2016.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [​IMG]

I want this book. Like right now. It's made for me.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That might be interesting. Amazon UK has a Dec 1 2016 date for it.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    December?!

I want it tomorrow. :(

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Patience you must have..

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...this is like, the weirdest Star Wars book I've seen in ages. But I'll take it!

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So Jello was Pablo all along; who knew?

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm unsure whether or not this book or "Essential Guide to Court Etiquette, Core Culture, and Fancy Hats" would be my favorite thing but as this one actually exists, I'll declare it the winner.

I look forward to having new decorations for my office.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    112 pages and only 10-15K words?

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Posters and advertisements galore.

10. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    "A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy."

...so, like...there's a good chance we may learn some ancient history?

JediBatman likes this.
  11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, a chance. Why get your hopes up? :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I'm not buying this book unless it mentions "THE EMPIRE IS VICTORIOUS ON ALL FRONTS!" [face_not_talking]

13. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Wait a minute, the Death Star is on the cover. Is this going to be like that "Imperial Handbook" where information on top secret super weapons is casually revealed to people who probably shouldn't know about it?

. . .Aw who am I kidding, the book looks awesome. And I've already thought of two justifications.

1) The Death Star presumably wasn't going to remain top secret forever. (What's the point of ruling through fear if your enemies don't know about your planet killing battle station?) Could be a propaganda poster that was going to be released when the DS went public, then they put it on hold when it went kaboom.

2) It's a "Remember the Alamo!" type poster to remind troopers of all the friends they lost to the sneaky rebel terrorists.

Either way, it could be a poster made for when the Death Star was no longer secret.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm assuming the front cover isn't part of the in-universe thing, because I would probably ask "what's a star war?" :p

15. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015
    Man I absolutely love this idea! Absolutely love looking at the propaganda from both world wars while they are meant to promote various ideologies I always believed they had artistic value. Really enjoyed the propaganda prints they did for Rebels can't wait for this to come out.

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if we'll see things like "Vader heroically saved the Republic from the treasonous Jedi" and "Tarkin destroyed Alderaan without Sheev's permission."

17. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I need this book, like now. What a quirky idea!

Tzizvvt78 and darklordoftech like this.
  18. beatbox

beatbox Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 16, 2015
    Will the holorecording of Sheev's spin be shown to be broadcasted in high-definition with multiple angles and at slow motion around the Empire? I see not better way of cementing your authority as the true powerhouse of the galaxy than with that in every nook and cranny.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  19. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Oh my, this looks wonderful. I'll be picking up a copy of this for sure. I hope we see some advertising - propaganda from firms like Incom and SFS, kind of like the way firms like Ford, Chrysler, etc advertised what they did for the war effort in WW2.

Senpezeco and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Pablo briefly discussed this book on a podcast today -- the book's still not "officially" announced, but he said that the IU perspective was from an "arts scholar" looking through the historical sweep and usage of propaganda. That's great, very WEG-ish. I approve.

22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Well, that's ever-so-mildly disappointing. I was hoping for a historian rather than an arts scholar.

#BringBackVoren

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Padme's ex-boyfriend Palo, the one who became an artist, is writing this book? Palo is Pablo's in-unverse Star Wars persona?? :eek:

BobaMatt and Gamiel like this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I prefer that it be somebody of culture rather than a dilettante who just made up a bunch of stuff. ;)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

JediBatman and jSarek like this.
  25. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk